Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porscheless in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Porscheless in San Diego

Remind me to not ever take my car to anyone for work again. As of Thursday, the shocks weren't back from Bilstein yet and the struts weren't back either. Probably the week after next for completion.

So, yesterday I serviced the winches on my boat, today I took the dog for a hike (now he's passed out and no company), and I've cleaned the garage a bit, but it sucks with the big hole that is 911less.

At least when I do the work, even if it is sometimes not fun, the car is here to fulfill me.
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 599 Posts

Nice looking garage! It will be back to life soon. Wish my dog could be tired out that easily.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, I feel your pain. Big time.

I decided to bring my 911 in for a new soft top. They would only provide the one-piece window style, not the zip-style I have now. I bought all the seals, then bought the zip-style top. I also had the headliner from GAHH already.

So, after he's got the car (and I catch him driving my car around, he "needed to bring it home, but he only lives a mile down the road, so it's no big deal"), all the parts, and he's had it for like 4 days for a "10 hour job" per him, he calls me to tell me he's got an issue. The rear part of the top is "pretty tight", and he's going to have to warm it up & stretch it, lah lah lah. I told him straight out:

I've already bought the top. I'm not buying another one, and I only want 3 things: 1) The top to look good; 2) The top to function well; 3) Not to leak. Beyond that, this is NOT my area of expertise, so he's the man, and so on.

So Tuesday / Wednesday was my appointment. It's now Sunday and I have not received a call telling me it's done. He told me on Thursday night that "at this rate I'm going to be working on it over the weekend".

So yeah, after dropping it off last Monday night, I have gone a week now with an empty garage.

To make matters worse, I can't finish up the reseal on your old BBS wheels, as I'm waiting for new bolts from Germany. Might be in sometime in the next week to 10 days I'm told...
Old 05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
sobastrace
AutoX

Ed, If you are bored, i have tons of projects that need to be done on mine...that have been neglected for the last year. I plan on ordering parts this week.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm actually helping someone else drop their engine this Saturday down here in SD.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will help that person immensely, Ed. It took me 3-4 trips to the hardware store and practically every tool in my garage (not really) before I got my tool list and stuff figured out.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, I did break the news to him that we (or at least I) won't attempt to drop, fix leaks and reinstall in one day.....he took it pretty well, but I think he's bummed.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Then you did him an even more immense favor. If it's a street 911 and not a track 911, all the stuff back there needs to be removed, and put back. This does not include draining the oil and doing things that make sense, such as re-pack the cv joints. I did all that on a 911SC that had been leaking oil since the Paleolithic Age, and it took probably an hour of cleaning, scraping and more cleaning of everything from the cv bolt heads to the top of the motor, all the bolts that had to have a wrench on them were caked with oil and dirt.....etc etc.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

...and I'm still waiting to get mine back...

Called this afternoon & there wasn't even any answer at the shop at 4:30 so I think he's still enjoying my ride around town or something. Harumph.

I'm starting to feel like Han Solo realizing "this is no cave" as he flys out of the Space Worm...
Old 05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Remind me to not ever take my car to anyone for work again. As of Thursday, the shocks weren't back from Bilstein yet and the struts weren't back either. Probably the week after next for completion.

So, yesterday I serviced the winches on my boat, today I took the dog for a hike (now he's passed out and no company), and I've cleaned the garage a bit, but it sucks with the big hole that is 911less.

At least when I do the work, even if it is sometimes not fun, the car is here to fulfill me.
FUNNY AS HEEELLLL!

Doyle
Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ed, if it would help I could be there in a couple hours and you can install my front oil cooler foam for me. Just a thought.

hey this is #6,000. Do I get the password now to turn of notification?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Then you did him an even more immense favor. If it's a street 911 and not a track 911, all the stuff back there needs to be removed, and put back. This does not include draining the oil and doing things that make sense, such as re-pack the cv joints. I did all that on a 911SC that had been leaking oil since the Paleolithic Age, and it took probably an hour of cleaning, scraping and more cleaning of everything from the cv bolt heads to the top of the motor, all the bolts that had to have a wrench on them were caked with oil and dirt.....etc etc.
Actually, I told him it is a 3 weekend project. First weekend, drop the engine, then heavy cleaning and inventory of all that is needed. Buy parts.

The next weekend, lovingly access every crevice of this beautiful piece of machinery. Look at all the stuff you couldn't see before. Clean some more and make the repairs.

The third weekend, back in she goes....

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Ed, if it would help I could be there in a couple hours and you can install my front oil cooler foam for me. Just a thought.

hey this is #6,000. Do I get the password now to turn of notification?
Since I'm in Portland right now, you'd need to go in the other direction and drive a bit further than 2 hours!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:08 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Actually, I told him it is a 3 weekend project. First weekend, drop the engine, then heavy cleaning and inventory of all that is needed. Buy parts.

The next weekend, lovingly access every crevice of this beautiful piece of machinery. Look at all the stuff you couldn't see before. Clean some more and make the repairs.

The third weekend, back in she goes....

Since I'm in Portland right now, you'd need to go in the other direction and drive a bit further than 2 hours!
That's and awesome plan, and it makes me feel much better. Last year, I did the drop, replace triangle of death parts, and re-install in 2 days. I knew it was more like 4 days of work done in two days. That included re-pack CVs and replace all 4 boots. Next weekend I went back, replace an oil line and repaired a thermostat. I was done beat by then.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Got the bolts for your old BBS wheels Ed! Woo Hoo!!!!

Hope to pick up the car today... I mean, 10 days for a "pro" to change a soft top...

A little wheel ****, just because I can...

(Old bolts for comparo at the bottom of the wheel)
Attached Images  

Last edited by 84_Carrera; 05-07-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Those are damn fine wheels. Bling!!

Quick Reply: Porscheless in San Diego