Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question For The Targa Folks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Question For The Targa Folks

I'm looking for my first Porsche and am noticing a lot of nice 3.2 Targas on the market.

I love open-top driving on nice days, and this seems a good compromise between coupe and cab.

So, I searched but didn't look at all 10 pages of results...call me lazy! Do you find your Targa is what you expected?

Does it leak? Is the roof easy to put on, remove, and store? And, if you had to do it over again, would you still go Targa?

I'll do some test driving of my own, of course; I'm just getting a feel for the market right now.

And yes, I just ordered the Zimmerman book!

Thanks to all. Love this forum and look forward to joining you.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

i have been a Targa owner for about 5 years with my SC Targa

I find the roof ratles and squeeks on less than perfect roads and I have a fair amount of wind noise. it does not leak water however.

This is a minor annoyance during march and October when it is cool at night but all other times I don't have the roof in anyway. I would much rather have it out with a baseball cap and jacket.
I also keep it fully extended on 2 hooks in the garage. I allmost never collapse it . I put it behind my seats fully extended.

I would get a targa again. I actually found a coupe a little claustrapobic for me but too each his own. I have heard if you plan on tracking a coupe is the way to go.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 85 targa for 20 yrs. actually sold in 95 and bought back 1 1/2 yrs later.

I prefer the targa to the cab for open top driving. I found the cab to feel claustraphobic with top up. and the visibility in the targa I think is better than a coupe.

BUT.

after buying back, long story, I got involved going to Drives Ed events. so started down the long slipery, expensive, slope of upgrades. I have finally reached the point of being committed to DE/autocross that I am in process if installing a full boltin roll cage and Sparco EVO2s to go with 5 pt harnesses.

if you intend it be/become a track oriented car, get a coupe that someone else has already done the upgrades.

if you want a great open top driver, go for the targa.

PS. regarding top issues.
1. you do get some squeeks/noise but a minor issue compared to the joy of open top driving. I have only one very slight water leak but not enough to cause any real issues. and I very seldom drive in rain.
2. I got one of the fiberglass hardtops to use for track events. I had my top recovered as the folding / unfolding over the years had causes cracks in the vinyl top. and at track speed the soft top tends to billow up. original top open and in the box the hardtop came in.

good luck.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Gojets!
Intermediate

I am also looking for my first P car and have noticed that Targas asking price seems to be $2-3K less than coupes or cabs. Is that an accurate observation? Are Targas less desirable by Porsche enthusiasts? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Maybe, maybe not. but i know for sure there are more for sale in General , could be a supply and demand thing.

Maybe it is Kind of like Tiptronic of today .. a pricey option when new but really devalue quickly as very few wants to buy one in the second hand market
Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 AM
SMARCUS
Track Day

I have an 87 and i have owned it for nearly 2 years. This is my first 911 and it kind of just fell into my lap so I bought it without really thinking through the Targa vs Coupe vs Cab debate. I drive it year round and just went through my second north-east winter. I've never folder the top, I just put it behind the seats or leave it home.

Great visibility.

Dislikes:
Lots of sqeaks.
Wind noise.
A little water leakage.
Look- I like the lines of a coupe with a tail.

All in all I enjoy the car but if I had to go back and do it again I would get a coupe. I just love the look of a coupe with front and rear spoilers and I just don't feel that way about Targas.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
lfe132
Racer

I bought my first P-car/Targa about 3 years ago, and love it.
The top squeeks a little. When I bought the car the top was a little ragged so I replaced the outer vinyl, which wasn't that difficult. My car does not leak in the rain but I do experience wind noise, but i just see that as part of the experience of a Targa. A lot of folks don't fold their tops, I'm not sure why. I fold mine all the time. I never leave home without it... what if you're out and the weather changes and you're left topless?? (that sounds funny.)
Knowing what I know about Targa now; would I buy one again? ABSOLUTELY. I really enjoy removing the top whether its cold or not.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

lfe

The reason I don't fold mine is that it is perfectly flat right now ( must have been redone before i bought the car ) But the ones I have seen where the fold is, it is lifted when put on and I just don't like how it looks. I have seen some of them cracked to. I live in a cooler climate so don't want to risk it . I just put mine behind the seats wrapped in a blanket and it sits there fully extended.

But I must confess. I have been caught topless in the rain .... just don't slow down ....
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're fairly tall the Targa gives you that little bit extra headroom.

If Porsche brought the old style Targa back I would be first in line.

Meanwhile my 78 Targa will just have to do.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

a little bit of trivia I found out the other day that most of you probably Know .. Targa apparently means "Sheild " Makes perect sense I guess.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great topic. As for someone that has always owned cabs (even wife thinks ALL porsches s/b "roadsters"), I've been thinking about a targa as opposed to another cab. Would never think coupe, as I don't track that much. Curious if anyone can elaborate on the topic a little further from the perspective of going from cab to targa, or vica versa.

thanks!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Depends on the year of course but in the SC Carrera cars there is definitel more headroom for rear passengers in th Targa. Didn't realize it until my Son told me so .
Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, more so it's a nice compromise between a coupe and cab.
not yet, but don't drive through carwashes that often...
yes, it's simple enough though I'm probably due to replace some 25 year old rubber parts in the next few years...
Would by a targa again [but bought this car b/c right $ at the right time].
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I have driven a few coupes and Targa's.

I like the lines of the Coupe but felt too claustaphobic and needed a little extra head room in the back for the kids.

Not much more wind noise vs. the coupe and I have no issues with leaks.

Also, it's a lot easier to haul a three draw metal file cabinet after removing the P/S seat and top then trying to stick it through the sunroof, lumber too

John
Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
LongARM
Intermediate

Gotta be Targa for me,only put the top on if stuck in the rain.I owned a 914 for 5 years,top was only on when i sold it. Tracked both cars just for fun, with top off.

Quick Reply: Question For The Targa Folks