Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question For The Targa Folks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I own an '84 Targa. I wasn't looking for one, as I prefer the roof lines of the coupe, but I couldn't pass this car up.

The roof comes off in about 30 seconds. I do not fold mine up and take it - I leave it at home on a towel on my workbench - the covering will last a lot longer. It goes back on almost as quickly. Though I do not drive the 911 much in the rain, I have not seen any leaks; but then again, all my seals are new.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I love my Targa..would not trade it for a cab. The Targa top can be noise and leak free...send it to Dan Pechtel and have it rebuilt. Then put in new seals where it mates up to the widshield top and Targa bar. Dan rebuilt mine about 7 years ago and it is perfect. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a coupe noise wise.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 PM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

helios59, I am a pure Porsche person. I have a Targa ('87) and a coupe ('86). My coupe has a sunroof,
most do anyway. The Targa is my second, my first was an '83. So which do I prefer? Transmissons aside, the Targa. Wind noise, yes, leaks, yes, absolute pleasure when all the trees are blooming in spring, well you just have to be there! If tracking a car, it is not recommended to go with anything but a coupe due to frame twist. I bought Porsche for the pure driving experience, which can be had in a Targa or Cabriolet or Coupe. You have to decide based on the lines. Headroom, I'm short so both are fine with me. Both cars hold my golf clubs fine. I can't play worth a damn, but I've got the legal bag with 23 clubs including the 5 putters for those off days. Oh and by the way at 80+ the coupes are noisy too! The fun is in the search, the reward is in the fix up, and the pay off is in the resale, this economy not counting! Mark
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is pretty quiet, more rigid than I expected. Drives like a 911, and can take a rough road. A little less room for the left foot by the clutch, but not really bad. Lots of headroom with the top on. I have honestly noticed more differences between individual 911s than between coupes and targas, so choose carefully.

Mine has 216XXX on the odometer and it is still tight. I also am a big coupe fan, but I really love this car.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:52 PM
lfe132
Racer

Default Targa

I wish this car was in full production.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

We have both a targa and a coupe. I wouldn't trade my targa for anything.......those open top driving days just can't be beat even here in Ct., where the weather really isn't that nice until May (for no top driving anyway)

My top doesn't leak and / or squeek. As others have mentioned I never fold it just store it in back or leave it at home. Yes, I too have been caught in a downpour with the top at home. Made for an exciting last 2 miles of my drive. I just purchased a very good quality top which will be my 'dress' top for when open top driving just isn't sensible. I'll fold up my previous top (needs a total refurb) and leave it in the trunk so I don't replicate the caught topless in the rain scenario.

My wife refers to my car as the 'parts' car. Even so, she loves the targa when the weather is right. I think you either love them or hate them.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:21 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lfe132
I wish this car was in full production.

That looks so much better then the vert

John
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

I now own a 1987 targa, my past 911's include a 1975 911S and a 1985 Carrera, both coupes. My targa with sport suspension actually feels like it handles much better than my coupe. With the top on it feels quite rigid with very minimal cowl shake, and that's with the moonscape we call roads here in Michigan. I drove a friends targa when I had my coupe, and swore my next one would be a targa. There is simply no better stress relief when getting out of the office than taking the top off and driving home. Also, I am 6'3"-6-4", and the additional headroom makes the targa a pleasure to drive. In my coupe my helmet was always rubbing the headliner, in my targa I have plenty of room even with my helmet on.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Just look at my avatar.....
Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

13 Years of Targa ownership... No regrets!
Frankly I have always loved the Coupes lines the best but nothing beats taking the roof off!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Just look at my avatar.....
That is EXACTLY how I wound up with a Targa, Ed.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
That is EXACTLY how I wound up with a Targa, Ed.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:07 PM
tshore
7th Gear

Smile

Love my Targa.

You should expect some leakage. There is also wind noise (not sure whehter it's more than the coupe). Garage it, or buy a stormshield cover.

It's a great open-air experinece. The targa bar + rear window offer some relief from wind buffeting relative to other open-top cars I've experienced, but don't detract at all from the open-car feel.

Plus, targas look great - better than the cabs, IMO, and at least the equal of the coupes.

Best of all, they can generally be purchased at a discount to the cabs and coupes.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:10 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

regarding the discussion about chassis stiffness in Targa VS coupe.

a few years ago I got a set of "targa body braces", not sure if that is the correct term. it is a brace that bolts to the outside seat belt bolts, shoulder and floor points. provides a bit of a triangulation at the rear edge of the door. immediately noticed the reductions in cowl shake. as I am installing a full cage, expect that to further increase stiffness for track events. as it is a boltin, I plan to remove the forward tubes and side tubes between track events for occasional street driving.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My targa works perfectly and I love it for weekend driving and events. Removal and replacement takes about 2 minutes once you get the hang of it. (Place the edge on top of your shoes instead of the ground.)

However, I prefer a sunroof in a daily driver so I can open/close the top when the phone rings.

Quick Reply: Question For The Targa Folks