Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question For The Targa Folks

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by gmiz
Much of the advice I received (except from Ed) was to stick to a coupe, and the G50.
I guess that makes me a crackpot?

The fact remains that if I were looking for a quality Carrera, I would not limit myself to the G50 era. There are way too many great 915's around. Is a G50 an improvement over a 915? Yes, but it isn't like Porsche DIDN'T know what they were doing in all the many years they sold 911's with 915 transaxles.

Also note that 3.2 Carreras supposedly are susceptible to valve guide issues.

Most of those that advise people to look only at G50's are those that have them, and many of those that say you "have" to have a Coupe are those that don't drive Targas or Cabs.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Given the great car you have, definitely not a crackpot!

Its easy in a search to get caught up in all the details and everyones opinions, I guess that's what makes it fun. Bottom line is that coupe, cab or targa, 915 or G50, these are very cool cars.

Growing up, the Targa WAS the coolest 911. Looks like lots of people still agree

Widening my search means more options - and more fun checking them out. It will be great to find "my 911"
Old 06-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I washed and waxed the old girl today and took her for a quick spin as soon as I got the top off. It is only in place for washing, the track or if I take my wife to dinner in it. The 70 degree weather here is made for open top motoring. You will find the right car!

Quick Reply: Question For The Targa Folks