'89 Carrera Engine Drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:32 PM
hanzonn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Carrera Engine Drop

Greetings,

I need to drop the engine on my '89 Carrera to get at some oil leaks (thermostat, etc.) I tried from the top, but there's just too much junk there. I've read the articles, but most refer to an SC. So my question is, is there any difference between the two (except the obvious fuel injection changes) that I need to be aware of? Any other tricks? Maybe a partial drop?

Thanks, Greg
Old 03-27-2009, 06:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Greg,

You don't need to drop the engine to fix oil leaks on an 3.2 911.

All you have to do is remove the airbox, and the air flow meter (AFM). Carefully clean around the thermostat until there is NO DIRT, then remove it. You may need to start with scraping if there is a lot of buildup. Finish with rubbing alcohol and paper towels before removing the thermostat. If it's stuck then believe me, the fastest way to get it out is with a little right angle screwdriver that you can buy at Orchard Supply Hardware.

You should also change the oil pressure warning light sender. (The red thing in the picture)

Buy the green thermostat o-ring not the red one.

Other common sources of oil leaks are the crankcase breather hoses, so check them for cracks.

All you need is a bright flashlight, and turn your head sideways while you stick it up into the engine compartment. You can turn your head slightly down, and you'll see the thermostat. No luck for guys with really big heads I guess.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
You can turn your head slightly down, and you'll see the thermostat. No luck for guys with really big heads I guess.
...or SCs...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

rusnak, tell me thats not your engine!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:42 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

hahahahaha!!!!

Cal you are too funny. No, that is an engine pic from another guy at Pelican's discussion forum.

I added the note with Photoshop, telling him to be carefull when he pulls his thermostat.

My part is the thermostat in the shiny pic with the right angle screwdriver.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rusnak,

You should also change the oil pressure warning light sender. (The red thing in the picture)

Buy the green thermostat o-ring not the red one.
What's the difference on the thermostat? I too have leaks in this area and my mechanic replaced these rings this week and mentioned the PO had used the wrong ones. I wonder if he used the red rather than the green. Can you elaborate? I pick up my car tomorrow after this maintenance.

I believe he did it with a partial drop.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 AM
hanzonn
Advanced

Rusnak,

I actually already replaced the thermostat O-ring and oil pressure sensor once. I removed everything possible in the area that had a nut and bolt and still had to work by "feel", using a universal joint socket extension - lots of banged-up knuckles. I couldn't see anything either - big head, I guess. I just have this sense that maybe I pinched an O-ring or the leak is coming from somewhere else? Hence the reason for thinking about dropping the engine.

Thanks, Greg
Old 03-28-2009, 01:55 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Greg,

It is significantly more work, and much more work is done in tight confines, if you do an engine drop. I have different socket sets of different sizes, and I used my 1/4" drive socket wrench on the thermostat nuts. I'd say this is one of the easier jobs that you can do on a 3.2 911. I can get mine done in a little over a half hour, not including the time spent doing clean up on the top of the motor. You can buy an extending inspection mirror at Kragen Auto. They have a little tiny one, and a larger one. You want the larger one with the orange handle. Or borrow the wife's bathroom mirror. Look down on the top of the motor, and clean it with some paper towels and electric parts cleaning spray.

If you have oil dripping onto the cross exhaust pipe, then it's either the thermostat or the oil press sender, or both. You might have oil leaking from the crankcase ventilation tubes. But these leak a lot less oil. You can see everything with a mirror and a flashlight. Dropping the motor may not reveal anything, just a dirty motor. Start with a clean motor, then run the motor and go back and take another look. See if you can find fresh oil.

Jorge,

The red ones will dry up and leak a lot faster than the green ones. I don't know why. The green ones have a rounded cross section, and seem to seal better. The red ones are a looser fit, and have a more squared profile.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:19 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I thought of one more helpful tip that I can pass on:

If you are running a stock airbox, and stock AC, then the bottom airbox clip can be hard to attach.

Remove the AC compressor mounting bolts, and place the compressor on top of the engine intake. You don't have to hang it off of the rear fender, just move it to the left and up on top of the intake. Now you can get your arm back there where the AC output hose was. Easy to attach that lower airbox clip. It takes maybe 15 mins to do this and re-install the AC belt.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd drop it. It will be a good time to look it all over and clean her up. You'll find plenty to do with it out.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
MDL
Racer

If you do decide to drop it here is a link someone posted a while back.

http://www.heinys.com/enginedrop/index.html
Old 03-28-2009, 01:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

That's a neat little website. At the end it says "Talk friend into polishing your ride". haha
Old 03-28-2009, 08:28 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to drop it for that......did it on my 89.

Yeap, you can run a bit "blind"...but with proper light, mirror and removal of "stuff",..pretty easily done...clean up the area REAL good before you go in there.

Best,

Doyle
Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
hanzonn
Advanced

Okay - I've been duly talked into leaving the engine in the chassis and reaching in there again. Is there anything else in there that may be leaking?

Thanks, Greg
Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Greg, run your hand along the rubber crankcase breather hoses. Look for cracks. Also make sure that the hose to the airbox is connected. If it's a really big leak, and it's dripping on to the cross pipe, then it's the oil press sender or thermostat or breather gasket.

Most likely it's one of these or one of the hoses.

Quick Reply: '89 Carrera Engine Drop