Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help to ID a 911 I found in the woods

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 AM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I keep a beater turbo at my beach house in SC. The one you're looking at isn't silver is it? I can't see pics on my iPhone.
It is silver...but I think you know that... regardless, I'll play along. What are your initials?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFairman
In the third picture I see steps leading to a the porch of a house about 20 yards away across a driveway or small road in a rural area...

You're on private property, how the h.. does that make it an abandoned car in the woods? and what right do you have snooping around someone's car and putting this on an internet forum?

you're lucky you havn't been shot or beaten up.
JP...you have to get over yourself!!

With respect, it does not take a great act of deduction to arrive at the conclusion that this car is not terribly well cared for or of great importance to its owner, given its current condition. In fact I think its fairly reasonable, given the pictures above, to believe that this car will remain in this state until it is possibly past repair. A crying shame that would be, at least in my humblest of opinions.

Is the OP suggesting any action that follows less than good etiquette and respect for the owner? I don't think so. His polite inquiry can only bring about a positive result for the owner...even if he is sans head and stuffed in the trunk...
Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 AM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JFairman
You're on private property, how the h.. does that make it an abandoned car in the woods?
You obviously didn't read post # 4 in this thread where I explained the "middle of the woods" thing.
There is something about this property that makes it legal for me to walk around on it. I won't disclose those conditions right now because I don't want a bunch of people trying to locate the car...
and what right do you have snooping around someone's car and putting this on an internet forum?
I don't believe it is against the law to post these pictures so I guess the right I'm operating under could be found in the Bill of Rights....

you're lucky you havn't been shot or beaten up.
Luck doesn't have anything to do with it.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 AM
DWalker
Racer

Im going to dis-agree a bit here-
While the car is dirty it wouldnt take long for it to get that way in the South parked under trees.
The overall condition of the car- lack of body damage, tires inflated, relatively expensive and tasteful mods- would tell me the car was very well cared for at one time.
The fact is that while I dont especially see an issue with the OP taking pictures and posting about the car, I would personally be careful.

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
JP...you have to get over yourself!!

With respect, it does not take a great act of deduction to arrive at the conclusion that this car is not terribly well cared for or of great importance to its owner, given its current condition. In fact I think its fairly reasonable, given the pictures above, to believe that this car will remain in this state until it is possibly past repair. A crying shame that would be, at least in my humblest of opinions.

Is the OP suggesting any action that follows less than good etiquette and respect for the owner? I don't think so. His polite inquiry can only bring about a positive result for the owner...even if he is sans head and stuffed in the trunk...
Old 03-15-2009, 12:33 AM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWalker
While the car is dirty it wouldnt take long for it to get that way in the South parked under trees.
The overall condition of the car- lack of body damage, tires inflated, relatively expensive and tasteful mods- would tell me the car was very well cared for at one time.
The fact is that while I dont especially see an issue with the OP taking pictures and posting about the car, I would personally be careful.
All four tires are deflated and probably wouldn't hold air.
The pictures don't really show the details too well in that respect, probably because of the depth of the leaves around and under the car.

As for being careful I am, I seriously don't believe the owner is going to have any problem with the way I discovered or looked at his car and his privacy has been protected, both for my own interest and because I know better than to put his identity to any of this without his consent.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DWalker
The fact is that while I don't especially see an issue with the OP taking pictures and posting about the car, I would personally be careful.

"At one time" being the operative description, yes.

I believe he is 'taking care' as he has taken pains to point out. I don't think his actions or intentions can be called into question. Doing so just detracts from an otherwise fascinating thread.

Seriously one must be drunk, myopic or suffering from something best remaining private, if they disagree with the simple observation that this is probably not a cherished automobile. (I take better care of my lawnmower, goodness, my 6 year old takes better care of his toys!)

This car is unlicensed, covered in dirt and leaves and has obviously been left outside for what appears to be a considerably long time. To approach the owner and politely inquire if they possibly wish to sell seems at best highly appropriate and at worst...erm...simply appropriate.

Last edited by Kahdmus; 03-15-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

As a 930 owner, I am very intrigued with the car and hope that you get it -or- at least it goes to a good home where it can be resurrected. Make no mistake that this could potentially be a serious money pit.

Everyone has been 100% correct in the description that it is an earlier 930 from the late '70s.

If the car has been intercooled, it would be cool to see what the engine shots looks like and where the money has been spent in this area.

What is ultra strange is that the car has been parked outside, usually if this were the case it would nomally have at least a $100 car cover on it. But many times those car covers can be moisture traps and do more damage than good. Makes me wonder if it has some type of mechanical (read "engine") failure...at best it would be neglect, but something does not quite add up.

Having been down this road, I can comment that:
The Big Reds on the front alone are an easy $1800 upgrade along! If the calipers were bought brand new.
The 18" Speedlines are easily $3500 with tires.
The Aero mirrors if the power is hooked up is an easy $500 after paint
The front spoiler (I like it BTW...again an easy $1000 with paint) does not even have any stone chips on the lower edge, so makes me wonder that the car may have been parked shortly after installation or just not driven much at all.

A good scrub and a water sand with 2000 or 2500 grit will make that paint look brilliant!

A great discovery...!

Yasin
Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 AM
911cabriolet
Intermediate

Why can't I be this lucky. Keep us posted on what comes of it.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:32 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the words of encouragement nor do I completely disregard the observation that I'm encroaching on someone private and personal business. I know if this were my car and property and I stumbled upon this thread I'd feel a little bit angry that my business was fodder for a discussion forum on the internet. I'd also be a little embarrassed for the condition of the car unless.....

a) the car is actually one I found in that condition and just recently had purchased and moved to my 'other' property because I hadn't had the time to start my new project..or..didn't want the wife to know I just bought a new toy.

b) the car is still on the property because the former tenant who just moved out of the house hasn't returned to get the piece of junk off my property.

c) there is a tragic personal story behind why I parked the car a couple of years ago

I can tell you that option c is a serious possibility in this particular case and is something I'll have to step carefully around when I meet with the owner. I don't want to elaborate now because it is speculation on my part and I'd be way out of line to tell that story right now. Not trying to be a drama queen just trying to show you guys that think I'm crossing a line that I have thought this one out and also do now know a little more about the situation than I've let on so far.

I certainly will keep you up to date on the developments and if the car is for sale but beyond my budget I'll recommend this forum as a place for the owner to find a worthy new owner of the car. I'm afraid the more I discover about the quality of the upgrades the more I fear that it will be out of my budget unless the owner doesn't care and just wants to be rid of it more for the cars sake than the almighty dollar.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:33 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

at a minimum, your inquiry may help the owner to get the car back on the road or into a garage so it won't rot away
Old 03-15-2009, 04:22 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

This is a sad story to see what at one point seamed to be a nice 930 just get left out to rot! And it's not a euro 930 because the side markers are not there and they all had side markers on the euro's I had an early 75 930 that was in the family a long time and it had the side markers. It had the 78-79 tail added for the intercooler, the bumpers changed and the additional yellow lites removed on the front bumper to look more "euro" but the lack of the side markers just make it a converted ROW car

STILL A GREAT FIND !!!!! hope it all works out for you!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Craig, will you be attempting to make contact today? Best of luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:52 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
This is a sad story to see what at one point seamed to be a nice 930 just get left out to rot! And it's not a euro 930 because the side markers are not there and they all had side markers on the euro's I had an early 75 930 that was in the family a long time and it had the side markers. It had the 78-79 tail added for the intercooler, the bumpers changed and the additional yellow lites removed on the front bumper to look more "euro" but the lack of the side markers just make it a converted ROW car

STILL A GREAT FIND !!!!! hope it all works out for you!
I had a '78 911SC euro which did not have the side lights in the front fender...it wasn't a turbo, but I can't see why the 911SC would be different in having or not having the side lights than the turbo. Maybe some ROW cars had the lights and some didn't due to local market laws, but the bumperetts being smaller on the rear lead me to agree with others that this is a ROW car as that seems to be something strange to change.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Craig, will you be attempting to make contact today? Best of luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...
A good friend who knows the owner is supposedly making a call to him today for me, I hope to hear back soon.
He tells me he's surprised to hear he's left the car out and uncared for the way it is now because he remembers seeing him take the car out of the garage it used to stay in at least twice a month and was always doing something with the car...said he used to keep it pristine and babied it.

Certainly something changed but I'm not sure what to read into it. My fingers are crossed too!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:29 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how this works out...

Quick Reply: Need help to ID a 911 I found in the woods