Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help to ID a 911 I found in the woods

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:31 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those upgrades, especially the Prototech conversion (if that's what it is) cost some serious money. I doubt that he is going to sell it for $10k, even with a blown up engine.

Sounds as though what you were looking at that was purple was a Tial wastegate. Did it definitely have two of these?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:22 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
Those upgrades, especially the Prototech conversion (if that's what it is) cost some serious money. I doubt that he is going to sell it for $10k, even with a blown up engine.

Sounds as though what you were looking at that was purple was a Tial wastegate. Did it definitely have two of these?
Yea, unfortunately this owner probably paid some shop to do those mods, or bought the car already modded, either way he would have paid a heck of a lot of money if he didn't do the work himself and this would have been back before the bottom fell out of the 911 market so he probably won't sell it for anything close to where my budget is today. I'm afraid if he does name a price it will be above what anyone would pay unless he's been watching the market change since he bought it.

I'm almost positive there are two wastegates. I couldn't see both at the same time due to the mirror under the car with flashlight routine but from one side of the car then the other it couldn't have been the same one since they seem to be oriented off to the side of the heads toward the rear...
There is a down turned exhaust tip under the car near each wastegate, smaller in diameter than each of the two main exhaust tips that are straight out the back on each side if that tells you anything....

I've been studying the 911 and the different turbo applications furiously since this began so I'm starting to know what I have been looking at. Also I find myself starting to appreciate the 930 as much for it's insides as I always have for it's outside. I never knew these beauties I see once in a while were so old! Kind of a timeless design. Coming from the 928 world it shouldn't surprise me though, Porsche sure does make a lot with so little.

Straighten me out a little on basic 911 nomenclature if you will. When looking at the earlier models at least, a turbo always has the wider fender flares and a "turbo look" if it's from the factory will also have those wider fenders but not be a turbo? Is that correct? And if I'm correct is that also what defines a "wide body" or am I off track here?
thanks!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

There were many different widebody coupes, but only 2 classic bodies from the factory: a 930 aka 911 turbo and the M491 turbo look. The M491 is essentially the turbo without the 3.3 turbo engine. It has all the suspension upgrades along with the wider flares. I think the first M491 cars were produced in 1984. They may have been available prior to that under the Sonderwunsch program.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update Craig?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Any update Craig?
No, as of this afternoon I haven't heard back from my friend who was trying to contact the owner...I left him a voice mail. Hopefully he will call me today with at least contact info for the owner if nothing else.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

Dammit! This thread has me intrigued, I was hoping for a conclusion
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aggravation
No, as of this afternoon I haven't heard back from my friend who was trying to contact the owner...I left him a voice mail. Hopefully he will call me today with at least contact info for the owner if nothing else.
it's quiet over there.......tooo quiet
Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Bad news, the owner says he does not want to sell the car. I didn't get to talk to him in person so I don't know what his plans are, hopefully he'll at least wash it and put it away.....
Of course I'll be watching and try again in a few months if it is still sitting there.
Damn! Now I have turbo fever!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Bad news, the owner says he does not want to sell the car. I didn't get to talk to him in person so I don't know what his plans are, hopefully he'll at least wash it and put it away.....
Of course I'll be watching and try again in a few months if it is still sitting there.
Sucks! I was rooting for ya!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shame! And a real shame that the poor car continues to be neglected rather than go to a caring new owner...

Well tied and good on you for following through.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you talk to him directly or was there a middleman?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Did you talk to him directly or was there a middleman?
Muss, read the words you quoted...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

I haven't spoken directly to him but if you're thinking my friend who was the middle man is going to go behind my back don't worry, that isn't the case.
As of a few minutes ago the owner was at the car with an auto detailing outfit and they had the hood up and the trunk up...I'm guessing he tried to start the car with no success because the owner left and the detail guy is now washing the car where it sits backed into the bank of leaves.

It may still turn out to be available later but unfortunately due to some family drama the owner was told to do something about the car or the other family member would sell it off the property (apparently he owns the car but not the property).
I think because the ultimatum was delivered to him in that fashion his reaction was to reject selling it just to rebuke the family member who took the opportunity of my inquiring about the car to give him grief. My friend who spoke to him thinks he may decide later to sell the car rather than let it rot...

There is a serious and quite tragic under story to all this that I don't feel comfortable about giving out in too much detail right now but it involves a family member being killed by two strangers racing in the street and the breakup of a family....
If it takes many more dramatic turns I'll write the whole thing as a movie script and sell it and buy a new Turbo
At least the car is getting a bath now and probably will be moved to some form of shelter....
Old 03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig: I used to own a '76 US 930. The receipts that came with the car added up to more than the original MSRP of the car ($US29k) and it only had 35k miles. None of that money was spent on upgrades. It was in beautiful condition but I spent at least another $11k on it in the first few months I owned it, which included about $5k on modern air conditioning.

Not buying a 930 sitting in the woods may be a real blessing.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My brother in law has a 34' Oceanmaster center console that is really set up nice.
Last year he didn't even put in the water only because he didn't have the time to use it. He had all kinds of people calling him and throwing crazy low ball numbers at him. He would tell them "I'll set it on fire before I sell it for that"

Quick Reply: Need help to ID a 911 I found in the woods