Need help to ID a 911 I found in the woods

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DWalker
It was never an $8K car lol- just a dirty car.
Yeah, all this over a car that needed to be washed!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 AM
OhioMark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930

Thanks for the story! It was interesting to watch it unfold, plus you
got her washed & detailed in the end. Congrats!

Mark
Old 03-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
This is a sad story to see what at one point seamed to be a nice 930 just get left out to rot! And it's not a euro 930 because the side markers are not there and they all had side markers on the euro's I had an early 75 930 that was in the family a long time and it had the side markers. It had the 78-79 tail added for the intercooler, the bumpers changed and the additional yellow lites removed on the front bumper to look more "euro" but the lack of the side markers just make it a converted ROW car

STILL A GREAT FIND !!!!! hope it all works out for you!
A single item like side markers (front wings) missing or there does not make it a ROW or a USA car. You have to dig deeper sometimes. Many years ago I was investigating a 84 Carrera Targa for a friend and found that a lot of things just were not adding up. The REAR rotors felt like they were warped while the fronts were fine. Ultimately, I got the answer. The car, originally a German-owned car, had been crashed significantly enough to require substantial rebuilding in the front of the car, to include new wings (fenders) and new front suspensions (including rotors). The replacement wings were USA versions without the cutouts for the side markers. Warped rotors are very common on cars coming from Germany.

Many years ago I ADDED side markers to my 81. From a rough external view, someone would easily think it was a Euro model.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Oh my God. Is that the same car? Holy crap that cleaned up beautifully. At least you can feel good that because you entered the scene, a 911 was saved.
And that was with a leaf blower, wait until they get it waxed!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at the ground around it in the front. You can see what washed off of it.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:36 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 340 Likes on 218 Posts

Interesting story. Now you guys have an idea of my life here in Japan. Due to privacy laws and bursting of the economic bubble years ago, a walk down almost any street will uncover abandoned cars. Just within a 5km radius of where I live there are 4 Porsches 1 Ferrari, 4 BMW M3 and M5 and a few Benzs. I don't count Japanese cars. I contact the parking lot owners who try to contact the spot renter who probably hasnt paid or is slow to pay, so don't respond to the parking lot owners. Plus car taxes are crazy here at least $500 per year. So 2-3 years of neglect adds up quickly. After 3 years it isnt worth it to get a car on the road. No self respecting Japanese would buy and car requiring major service so it sits. The only other option is to sell it with out papers, meaning it can only be parted out. It is sad here. There is one wreaker who's lot is crambed with Bentleys, Benzs, Porsches etc. Being a foriegner doesn't help much either, sniffing around cars brings the cops quick time. Trying to talk to someone, brings a dumb stare or shut doors. Ohh... Welcome to my world.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 AM
DWalker
Racer

Originally Posted by Bull
Yeah, all this over a car that needed to be washed!
To understand why I am a little tender on the subject heres a little story:

When I moved out here to Denver from Tennessee a few years ago I had to leave my 944 parked alongside my grandmothers house. I had friends in the area who would stop over and make sure the ar was ok, but no one really had time to wash it. It seemed like weekly people were stopping by to ask about the car and make absurd offers for the car. I had no interest in selling, and it bothered me that these people were just walking up out of the blue, as there was no "FOR SALE" sign or any other indication the car might be for sale. It apparently was enough that it was simply sitting out side, on private property, unwashed and apparently uncared for. I am positive that people took the liberty of traipsing across my grandmothers yard to walk around and see what the car was or wasnt, once again an annoying thing, as it was MY CAR, dirty or not, it wasnt parked out in a public parking lot, and I nor anyone else had given anyone permission to poke around. If pictures of my car had turned up on the net I would have been beyond pissed, no matter what the persons intention.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I moved out here to Denver from Tennessee a few years ago I had to leave my 944 parked alongside my grandmothers house. I had friends in the area who would stop over and make sure the ar was ok, but no one really had time to wash it. It seemed like weekly people were stopping by to ask about the car and make absurd offers for the car. I had no interest in selling, and it bothered me that these people were just walking up out of the blue, as there was no "FOR SALE" sign or any other indication the car might be for sale. It apparently was enough that it was simply sitting out side, on private property, unwashed and apparently uncared for. I am positive that people took the liberty of traipsing across my grandmothers yard to walk around and see what the car was or wasnt, once again an annoying thing, as it was MY CAR, dirty or not, it wasnt parked out in a public parking lot, and I nor anyone else had given anyone permission to poke around. If pictures of my car had turned up on the net I would have been beyond pissed, no matter what the persons intention.
I agree and would feel the same way.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Well now that I know the car is not available to me and don't have to worry about someone beating me to the owner to try and buy it I don't mind explaining why I said earlier there were conditions that made it legal for me to walk around the car. Unlike DWalkers grandmothers house the car in this thread was beside a house that is part of a much larger tract of land that is for sale and has a large sign out on the highway advertising it as such. So it is quite expected by the property owners to find people entering the property and walking around the house which puts you right beside the car.

Had the for sale sign not been evident on day one I would have asked my customer who owns the adjoining property, who was also my friend who helped me by contacting the owner, who owned the property and followed up that way....
From the rooftop where I first spotted it it looked like an abandoned 930, from up close it looked like an abandoned 930...in fact it was abandoned for some time just not in a permanent sense.

As for the pictures, the owner wasn't identified nor the location so since the car is visible from public view I didn't disclose anything he could have a reasonable expectation of keeping private....
Would that make him happy? I guess I cared more about the car than his pride. I guess I'm the Paparazzi Porsche lover
Old 03-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^....is it just me?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Motobob
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggravation
As for the pictures, the owner wasn't identified nor the location so since the car is visible from public view I didn't disclose anything he could have a reasonable expectation of keeping private....
Internet = private??? lol
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM
bdisco
Intermediate

Good read...

... but someone please throw a tarp or car cover over this car before this happens again.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,173 Likes on 841 Posts

nice to know if I leave my car on my property unwashed I have to be carefull of people wanting to try and start it if i leave the country for a while ..
Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given some of the comments, its a wonder people bother to share on rennlist at all....
Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 PM
dumdik
Intermediate

I would've kept my mouth shut and relieved it of those Speedlines....

Quick Reply: Need help to ID a 911 I found in the woods