Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ill take it!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Motobob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, gee, wonder if it is STOLEN?????

Call the police department... if abondoned porperty, claim it is in 90 days. If it is someone's baby, you will be able to reunite a family, perhaps even a rennlist family.... Bob
Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Not real sure its a ROW car. True the bumpers and tail light lenses appear to be ROW, but where are the side marker lights on the front fenders?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Motobob

Call the police department... if abondoned porperty, claim it is in 90 days. If it is someone's baby, you will be able to reunite a family, perhaps even a rennlist family.... Bob
Once it enters the world of cops, towing companies, and impound yards you might as well kiss it goodbye.
I'll do a carfax on the vin.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

It is probably owned by sombody who owns a bunch of nice cars and that was one of the old ones that he lost interest in. He probably parked it thinking he would do something with it and before he knew it, years had passed. He probably blew the engine and did not feel like spending $40k to get it rebuilt, so he parked it.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

aggravation, it's easy to find out who owns the house. Should be a matter of public record, tax roles. Go to that department (tax collector) and look it up. Hard copy or micro dot film something or other, anyway ...... Dammmn
Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

I think I found out who owns the house and car, a wealthy family if it's who I think it is.
I'll make a call tomorrow to find out if I'm right and, if so, if they are interested in selling it.

Give me your best guess as to what it might go for, say on ebay, as is. I guess I need two prices, one with a working, albeit parked for a year or two engine....a second one...as is, but engine toast.
I need to know what to offer this guy in case he decides on the spot to request an offer from me. I need to know what kind of money I could recover from it if I decide it isn't worth getting back on the road before I can commit to spending anything on it.

I take it those wheels are worth something substantial, they do have Speedline etched into them, 18" and a Momo wheel, that's about the only thing of interest other than the car itself. From peering up under behind the drivers rear wheel I see that part of the turbo is purple in color, like anodized aluminum color if you know what I mean...at first glance I thought that's probably not factory but what the hell do I know.

Anyway thanks for the help, I'll let you all know after I contact the owner.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick K
x2. Very cool stuff - my $'s on the owner being in jail. Keep us posted.
...or stuffed inside the car.

A manual radio antenna and early w/washer nozzles indicate an earlier pre-'85 car; somebody painted the brake calipers, which look small (1976/77), but it's hard to see them clearly.

The inside rear view mirror mount is rectangular, which is also early car stuff. The 3.3 tail could easily have been added (and probably was as evidenced by the lack of a rear window wiper - standard on all Turbos), along with the Ruf-style front valance, Speedlines and aero mirrors.

My bet is, with no sunroof, that it's a 3.0 car... What a great shell to start with for a PCA Club Racer!

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 03-13-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 PM
DWalker
Racer

Originally Posted by Motobob

People dont lock stolen cars left out in the woods.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:08 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's on private property don't touch it or you could be found guilty of trespassing.

The county clerk and recorder's office can tell you who owns the property, and their contact information.

So we have what appears to be a 3.0 turbo with painted brakes, aftermarket stuff on it, probably an engine with dried out seals and a rusty fuel system, and who knows what the paint looks like under all that dirt. Obviously this car was unloved because no responsible owner would leave it out there in the woods like that. As it sits, $10k maximum. That assumes no other surprises.

If the price is right and you want it, get a PPI like any other purchase. Wash it before delivering it to the shop so they can see what they're evaluating.

The negotiation should NEVER begin with the buyer making an offer. ALWAYS begin with the seller asking a price. That's Negotiation 101.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Based upon what we can see in the photos it would be something from about 78 - 86. (By 1987 they had heated windscreen nozzles,--larger). The large headlight washers tell me it is around 1976-1981. It's evident that a LOT has been done to this car. Interior shots are usually the best for determining age,--because much of it is neglected for doing the exterior work.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:36 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Looks like an early turbo (maybe 78 -80) - ROW (small rear bumpers) with some pricey upgrades. The speedline wheels if they are real are worth a pretty penny. The aero mirrors are nice - the front valence is more of a personal preference. worth a knock on the door (I would anyway)
It actually looks like a 78 to early 79 turbo as it has the standup headlight washers. Those Speedlines are really nice wheels! It may also be a 3.0 non intercooled turbo (76-77) with the 3.3 wing as all the 3.3s I've seen has the rear wiper. The RoW bumperettes are also a nice addition.

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Don't call the cops. Run a carfax on it. You can get an idea on how long its been there and where is was last registered. Find out who owns the property tell him there is a junk car on it and you'll haul it away for fifty bucks before he gets a citation from the town. What ever you do don't call the police. They'll just have it impounded.
If it is pre-81 you cannot do a Carfax on it as the VIN is not the standard 17 digit VIN that Carfax uses.

Do a property search for the owner and contact them regarding the car.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:09 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait to hear how story ends...
Old 03-14-2009, 03:32 AM
DWalker
Racer

BTW- in the South it doesnt take very long at all for that scum to accumulate- in fact if you leave a car parked for a week or so under a tree it could very well look like that when you return. A good bath will do often do wonders.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:38 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what a neat find! I wonder why the license plates are missing if it isn't stolen? Why don't you take Muss up on the Carfax offer?

Quick Reply: Need help to ID a 911 I found in the woods