Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cruise control module rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The funny thing is that it's a sports car! Who uses the cruise? Really. Mine works, but I want to push on the pedal.

....or is it a long drive to Radio Shack?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
Wow, i thought we had to be nice on this list. I did have some concerns with my Climate Control Unit and had some advice from fellow rennlisters and then got quotes for $2000 for a new unit on my 964, then $1000.00 for a rebuild from Ottos Venice, then an price for $900 cdn and then bumped into my cash register repairman who happened to be an auto electronics whiz in his past life. Short story long, we opened it up and found about 12 cold solders and another 6 or so well on its way. $2.00 worth of solder and a Tim Hortons and it has worked for over a year and a half. I consider that lucky. Can anyone tell me if the 964 Cruise Control unit is the same as the earlier units?

Iceman, can you fix for me???? Please pm! (we're practically neighbors)

...a perfect "case-in-point".

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're right doug, we are not setting the cruise on the back straight of Mosport but i do need it for some of the long highway runs that i do from time to time and don't wish to look at the speedo for 30 minutes at a time. Just set, and sip on coffee until the captain turns off the smoking sign...

note: no coffee cup holder on the 964 either...

Does anyone know if they are the same on 964s vs 911s? are they interchangeable? i'm buying a 'couple' of things from LAPorscheDismanters so i should check with them...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't the 964 switch to an electronic servo? I guess a look thru PET would answer that but....
Old 01-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

I checked Streather's 964 companion and it said that the most common failure is the micro switch on the brakes... sounds like an affordable part...
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
you're right doug, we are not setting the cruise on the back straight of Mosport but i do need it for some of the long highway runs that i do from time to time and don't wish to look at the speedo for 30 minutes at a time. Just set, and sip on coffee until the captain turns off the smoking sign...

note: no coffee cup holder on the 964 either...

Does anyone know if they are the same on 964s vs 911s? are they interchangeable? i'm buying a 'couple' of things from LAPorscheDismanters so i should check with them...
Wow, around here an 45 minutes would be a long time in the seat and an hour would be forever. I can't imagine a drive on cruise for that long. Must be nice. It's all traffic, all the time here.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=453715
Old 01-28-2009, 02:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well that is very decent of you Loren, to post a helpful link w/out negativity. Thank You.

Alex, can you let me know how things went with LA Dismantlers? I've heard good and bad about them, but that is literally true of everyone. I'd like to know of your experience with them, thanks.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used DC Automotive and had a good experience with them. Not sure what everyone else thinks of them. I asked them to waive their minimum and they did... fast shipping.. product was blasted and powdercoated. It was only a $20 part so I was surprised... Just another place to check for a used one...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Loren, thanks for the link. Good information on Pelican.

db: i drive from Toronto to London or Sarnia a few times per month - a 2-3 hour drive. Once out of the city, there is nothing but straight roads and cops with radars. I'll set it at 120km/h and not even blink when 'cruising' through the speed trap. Not having to look down allows you look around, have a coffee, smoke, sniff the country side.. and that's only the first 10 minutes on cruise... where are you located?
Socal?

rusnak: lapd - so far so good. i send them my money, they take pictures of what i bought, i send them more money, they take more pictures... we'll see as the build progresses what real 'grade' they get. I hope it's an A+ ...

Quick Reply: Cruise control module rebuild