Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

BEWARE OF JOE AT GERMAN AUTO DISMANTLER

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is tough in this environment to make an informed decision. Just my opinion. For every story like this that gets published.. there is probably a happy customer who doesnt take the time to post a positive story. Yes, there are the MM's out there... and those should clearly be avoided... but there is alot of grey areas with some of these other vendors. I think buyers sometimes have an unreasonable expectation in this digital age...
Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik @ Carquip
We built a gearbox for Joe and drop shipped it directly to his customer, on the promise that when he recieved payment from them he would then pay us. After more then 6 months of constant phone calls and requests, we still have not been paid.
l
Erik,
Did the car owner like the work you did on the trans?
Did the company that purchased the trans give you any reason(s) for non-payment?
Old 12-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
I think it is tough in this environment to make an informed decision. Just my opinion. For every story like this that gets published.. there is probably a happy customer who doesnt take the time to post a positive story. Yes, there are the MM's out there... and those should clearly be avoided... but there is alot of grey areas with some of these other vendors. I think buyers sometimes have an unreasonable expectation in this digital age...
How could wanting to be paid after months be unreasonable?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:07 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Angry How did Wayne react?

Many of you are members of both Pelican and Rennlist as I am. Eric posted the same identical content on Pelican and there was some fine, well thought out discussion. This should put the difference between Pelican and Rennlist into some perspective:

Before:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...2&goto=newpost

After:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...rs#post3706849

Pelican is Wayne's "home". Rennlist belongs to us.

My only hope is that Rennlist has better lawyers than Wayne. Because he's a serious wimp when it comes to guys threatening him with a lawsuit based on threads started by members. And he is even more of a wimp when it comes to warnings (which are obviously true) about bad players in the Porsche world that BBS members start. Just think about it. Do you really think a guy who would be willing to stiff a guy over a transmission is going to mount a $100,000 libel lawsuit?

God help us all if we can't find out about these guys and stop doing business with them. Owning a Porsche could suddenly get a lot more expensive.

Last edited by rbuswell; 12-21-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: More content
Old 12-21-2008, 02:55 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

I agree with Wayne:
".... this fight is not my fight - it's your fight, and if you're going to insist on fighting inside my "home", I'm going to ask you guys to leave. Take it outside - there are plenty of sites on the Internet where you can air dirty laundry about the problem players in the industry."

At times some of these posts are simply mudslinging, and in many cases only one side is presented (for what ever reason), and the rest of the thread's post is simply splatter. It would be far more constructive to read some positive posts on vendors.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Angry You're a seller, we're buyers

Originally Posted by griffiths
I agree with Wayne:
".... this fight is not my fight - it's your fight, and if you're going to insist on fighting inside my "home", I'm going to ask you guys to leave. Take it outside - there are plenty of sites on the Internet where you can air dirty laundry about the problem players in the industry."

At times some of these posts are simply mudslinging, and in many cases only one side is presented (for what ever reason), and the rest of the thread's post is simply splatter. It would be far more constructive to read some positive posts on vendors.
Griffiths, I understand where you're coming from since you're a parts seller and one of the good ones from what I can tell. But the vast majority of us on these Porsche BBSs are buyers and many of us have limited budgets. Put yourself in our shoes. We can't afford to lose money on our parts and service purchases. If we can't learn about who the bad apples are, how do we protect ourselves? Buy something and get crap or get ripped off then just stew over it? I don't think so.

As for Joe being able to defend himself, he obviously lurks on Pelican or he wouldn't have known about it to threaten suing Wayne. He could tell his story but instead he chose intimidation.

Frankly, I'm surprised you want to protect the rif-raf. You should be even more incensed than I am. BTW, I added a second link that may work for a while. You can judge for yourself if these guys are bad apples or not.

Last edited by rbuswell; 12-21-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: More content
Old 12-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I think your point of view is kinda distorted. I can no way find fault with Wayne on his comment. Who needs the grief? There are some people who spend their lives in court, so who's to say that the moron in question wouldn't actually slap a suit on Wayne. Legit or not, Wayne's got a life, and he probably is choosing what battles to fight.

Originally Posted by rbuswell
Many of you are members of both Pelican and Rennlist as I am. Eric posted the same identical content on Pelican and there was some fine, well thought out discussion. This should put the difference between Pelican and Rennlist into some perspective:

Before:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...2&goto=newpost

After:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...rs#post3706849

Pelican is Wayne's "home". Rennlist belongs to us.

My only hope is that Rennlist has better lawyers than Wayne. Because he's a serious wimp when it comes to guys threatening him with a lawsuit based on threads started by members. And he is even more of a wimp when it comes to warnings (which are obviously true) about bad players in the Porsche world that BBS members start. Just think about it. Do you really think a guy who would be willing to stiff a guy over a transmission is going to mount a $100,000 libel lawsuit?

God help us all if we can't find out about these guys and stop doing business with them. Owning a Porsche could suddenly get a lot more expensive.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Roger,

Look. We are both entrepreneurs. We know supplier’s needs and we know customer’s needs (at least we hope and try to). After being in procurement for 20 years prior to starting my business in 1984, I know better that there are always two sides to every story regardless as to whether one is more justifiable than another.

I have not said that there should not be a post to tell the world about the “bad guys”. I attempted to say in fashion that there is a time and place for it and I don’t feel the “technical” forum is the place. Maybe I should have clarified it better to say “take it to the Mud Room”; a place where Buyer’s can bash Seller’s. And, there could be an Icing Room; a place where Buyer’s can praise Seller’s. And it would only be just that there would be a Deadbeat Room; a place where Seller’s could toss their mud against their Buyer’s. How about an Ebay (cough) like rating system! All the good and bad each side has to say could more easily found and would be less of a distraction to the technical sides of the boards. However, the decision as to whether to have or not have mudslinging is up to the Host. Period. It is their venue and we are guests, and as guests we would normally want to obey the rules.

I posted further back in the thread that I wondered if the car owner liked the trans, or what rationalization the Seller gave the Buyer for non payment. Although it is still too early in this thread to get a detailed response from the Seller, I’m wondering what and how much will be said.

Not so long ago a member bashed me here and frankly it got out of hand and the host smartly cut the cord.

As for being a Buyer and losing bucks, I would not expect nor wish you to do so, just as well a Seller should not be expected to do so either.

And, I’m no more of a rif-raf protectionist than I am a flaming liberal. However, there are always two sides to every story and the initial post naturally stated just one side.

FYI, I have known the “defendant” for many years. We use to sell him product years ago. I have purchased many parts from him for my personal vehicles, some recently, and I have never had a “bad” experience.

Does he answer all my emails, maybe not. Does he answer the phone on the first ring, not all the time. Does he remember to call me back. Sometimes. But that is the way it is and I can say that when I need a part and he has it then I get it. Maybe’s he’s too busy buying cars, counting inventory, stripping down cars, answering the phone, packing orders and trying to squeeze 14 hours in an 8 hour day like the rest of us. Maybe he’s not like the big-box salvage yards who have 5 clerks to answer the phone (although they don’t know the difference between an ABS part vs. DME), or has a dedicated customer service department (who still needs an approval from the boss before they can issue a credit), or who have 24/7 text messaging.

Remember, we are all human here. We are on this blessed planet for a short period of time. There is no one supplier that can meet 100% of your expectations 100% of the time.

There is a right time and right place for everything.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:42 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Talking Let's get real here guys

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I think your point of view is kinda distorted. I can no way find fault with Wayne on his comment. Who needs the grief? There are some people who spend their lives in court, so who's to say that the moron in question wouldn't actually slap a suit on Wayne. Legit or not, Wayne's got a life, and he probably is choosing what battles to fight.
Ed, I think I'd agree with you if it were just plain ol' folk like us trying to avoid some grief. But his website and the free sharing of ideas made him fabulously wealthy. Rumors rage that Pelican grosses at least $5,000,000 per year with nearly zero infrastructure. As I understand it, the overwhelming majority of his parts are drop shipped from WorldPAC and other "real" mega-parts distributors. You think he has a little margin there? For clearing a mill or so a year, I think I could hire a lawyer or two if I were him. Everyone in Porscheland wants to know to not do business with German or Victory or LA or dc or MotorMeister and any of the other bad players in the business. Like I continually note, there are too many good guys around, to give money to the bad guys. We just can't afford to anyway.

A grand or two may not be much money to you but I know first hand that it matters to CarQuip. Unless can show an invoice and a cancelled check, I think we can be confident that Eric's complaint is valid. A pretty strong argument, should really want to pursue this libel lawsuit thing, is show everyone the cancelled check. I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure that's the first thing I'd ask in discovery, if I was Eric's (or Wayne's) lawyer, “Where’s the cancelled check?” Lights out!

Roger,

Look. We are both entrepreneurs. We know supplier’s needs and we know customer’s needs (at least we hope and try to). After being in procurement for 20 years prior to starting my business in 1984, I know better that there are always two sides to every story regardless as to whether one is more justifiable than another.

I have not said that there should not be a post to tell the world about the “bad guys”. I attempted to say in fashion that there is a time and place for it and I don’t feel the “technical” forum is the place. Maybe I should have clarified it better to say “take it to the Mud Room”; a place where Buyer’s can bash Seller’s. And, there could be an Icing Room; a place where Buyer’s can praise Seller’s. And it would only be just that there would be a Deadbeat Room; a place where Seller’s could toss their mud against their Buyer’s. How about an Ebay (cough) like rating system! All the good and bad each side has to say could more easily found and would be less of a distraction to the technical sides of the boards. However, the decision as to whether to have or not have mudslinging is up to the Host. Period. It is their venue and we are guests, and as guests we would normally want to obey the rules.

I posted further back in the thread that I wondered if the car owner liked the trans, or what rationalization the Seller gave the Buyer for non payment. Although it is still too early in this thread to get a detailed response from the Seller, I’m wondering what and how much will be said.

Not so long ago a member bashed me here and frankly it got out of hand and the host smartly cut the cord.

As for being a Buyer and losing bucks, I would not expect nor wish you to do so, just as well a Seller should not be expected to do so either.

And, I’m no more of a rif-raf protectionist than I am a flaming liberal. However, there are always two sides to every story and the initial post naturally stated just one side.

FYI, I have known the “defendant” for many years. We use to sell him product years ago. I have purchased many parts from him for my personal vehicles, some recently, and I have never had a “bad” experience.

Does he answer all my emails, maybe not. Does he answer the phone on the first ring, not all the time. Does he remember to call me back. Sometimes. But that is the way it is and I can say that when I need a part and he has it then I get it. Maybe’s he’s too busy buying cars, counting inventory, stripping down cars, answering the phone, packing orders and trying to squeeze 14 hours in an 8 hour day like the rest of us. Maybe he’s not like the big-box salvage yards who have 5 clerks to answer the phone (although they don’t know the difference between an ABS part vs. DME), or has a dedicated customer service department (who still needs an approval from the boss before they can issue a credit), or who have 24/7 text messaging.

Remember, we are all human here. We are on this blessed planet for a short period of time. There is no one supplier that can meet 100% of your expectations 100% of the time.

There is a right time and right place for everything.
Eric posted in the Used Parts forum in Pelican. The right forum there. The Rennlist Used Parts forum is not nearly as active as Pelican so the 911 forum was probably the right place here too. Other specialized forums like you suggest would be nice but the reality is that there are hundreds of BBS forums that never get looked at. On Rennlist, the big ones are OT and 911. On Pelican they are 911 Technical, Engine Building and Used Parts.

Griff, you could never imagine in a thousand years stiffing someone for some measly parts. That's why you're one of the good guys. People all make mistakes. I'm sure you've made mistakes too but I also bet you made good on every one of them. That's why we don't see Griffiths plastered all over the forums as someone to avoid.

Joe could have ended this in a heartbeat. Put a picture up of the invoice and the cancelled check in both forums and its over. He chose nasty threats against the deepest pockets he could find instead. As Shakespeare would say, "Me thinks ye protest too much."

He's had my friend's money for six months and he needs to pay up now. I don't see any other way to look at it.

Last edited by Robb M.; 12-29-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Punctuation content and tense
Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Talking Wayne blinked

The mirror thread on Pelican has been turned back on by Wayne. Yayyy!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with Wayne:

OMFG you are so wrong. I mean WTF- THAT'S WHAT INTERNET FORUMS ARE FOR -- to educate everyone (good or bad)!!!

Just try posting some false accusations or mudslinging here, and you'll get run out quicker than you think. An open community can weed that stuff out. If Wayne wants to censor the truth from his forum, I'd certainly never go there. Screw that.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
OMFG you are so wrong. I mean WTF- THAT'S WHAT INTERNET FORUMS ARE FOR -- to educate everyone (good or bad)!!!

Just try posting some false accusations or mudslinging here, and you'll get run out quicker than you think. An open community can weed that stuff out. If Wayne wants to censor the truth from his forum, I'd certainly never go there. Screw that.
+1,000!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Sailmed
Three Wheelin'

Location: In the boatyard installing the mast and engine, we don't need a crane, we harness the mesquito's! Yeah!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakeflyer
I had one transaction with him. If it were ebay, I would give it a neutral, not a
+ or a minus but a neutral. My impression was that he knows his stuff, but may be short on skilled help. I think I would do business with him again. With a credit card, there is some leverage in any deal if things go sideways. Just my opinion, but It may be unfair to think he is like an unloved West Coast operation.

I only wish I would have been warned before dealing with him.
There isn't as much credit card company leverage as you think. I believe this is the reason he takes 6 months to ship - he knows you are limited in the amount of time to file a complaint or give negative feedback!
I paid $1,600 for a beautiful oyster and black interior advertised as perfect pod and dash, "like new 12 way seats", and "great speakers" in the quarter panels.
I had repeatedly called and been told "its been pulled", "it's ready to go" and "It will be shipped tomorrow", and "my parts guy was sick" blah blah blah....
6 months after he charged my card he shipped a partial interior consisting of torn up dash and pod, gray and black broken door panels , and warped, torn quarter panels with no speakers. It was obviously a old junk interior - WITH NO FRONT SEATS.

I put his junk on a trailer and drove to Georgia - returned the crap interior that was shipped, and walked his yard to find the pictured interior. He said it was a "honest mistake" and promised he would send me the correct interior right away.
Yeah right!
My son and I spent the day pulling the actual interior that was pictured in the eBay add - he had already sold the seats I paid for to someone else - . He told me he didn't have any nice seats that would fit and he would send me some when he got them.
After I returned home, I filed a written complaint with the credit card company, and called about the seats - He simply said - "Oh, you left with them." I still have no front seats and know better then to hold my breath.
The credit card company was provided with the original add, pictures of what he shipped, and informed that the seats are the major portion of the interior.
They explained that there is a time limit on goods, and could only refund the shipping charges!
You will find that the cost of the two attorney's needed for out of state cases far exceeds the value Joe rips you off for. Buyer beware...
Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Default Hey there Griffiths, sorry for the delay.

Hey there Griffiths,

I can really appreciate your efforts here. I respect that you have done business with Joe for many years, and that you also respect Wayne's statements. You are correct that in many cases there are extenuating circumstances or other issues that are not included in a persons complaint of another. You asked me as well if there was any issue or reasonable explaination for the non-payment, a very reasonable question. You being in this industry for some time know what a damaged reputation can do to a business, just as I do. I have worked endlessly to earn a good reputation, and I would take great exception to someone trying to damage it without cause. I can assure you that I am not do this here.

It was for this reason that I started my original comments with 'I really hate to have to do this.' We all work very hard to develope trust and respect in the Porsche Community and I know better then most how fragile and important it is to have the trust of the Porsche Community, the wonderful people, especially Wayne, at Pelican, and without doubt the very well educated opinions of everyone here on Rennlist.

I truly do hate to have to tell people that we got taken advantage of by a company that I put my trust in. Let's face it no matter how you look at this, and no matter how wrong Joe is for his decisions against me and Carquip, I still look and feel like a moron. I am the sales manager for Carquip, I take my job very seriously and I can never approprietly thank Tom Conway for the opportunities and experiences that I have been able to have as a result of his trust in hiring me. It was my decision to allow this transaction to take place. I am the one who made the call based on my original conversation with Joe to dropship the gearbox directly to his customer. While I feel that it is Joe who is to blame here, I also feel that I have in my decision to allow this deal, let Tom Conway and Carquip down. I take that VERY SERIOUSLY.

To answer your questions. The customer, as far as I am aware was completely satisfied with the gearbox, and there has not been any issue with its proper running.

In several conversations with Joe in regard to payment, I was told that business was simply slow and that maybe next week would be better. This has gone on and on and on for over 6 months now. At what point do YOU think it is appropriate to say, I am getting taken advantage of here, and other people should be aware of what has transpired?

The truth of the matter is that I would probable still be trying to get this resolved in the same manner that I have been trying, had it not been for Joe's email messages that he sends out to notify people of his new arrivals. To me this was like a slap in the face. It felt like Joe was saying, 'Hey not only am I not going to pay you, look at all of the cool things that I just bought with the money that I promised to send to you instead.'

I am sure that Joe has done business with many people without issue, and that there are many people who will continue to do business with him based on their prior dealings with him. All I can say is that I wish someone would have given me the heads up if they had a bad experience, so that I could have avoided this situation entirely. I felt that it was my responsibility to the Porsche Community to share this incidence, and my poor decision to enter into this arrangement, in order to possibly help others avoid a similar experience.

It really is quite embarrassing to me that I did not see this coming. After seeing that other people besides me have had similar problems, and that there was information out there that I could have found had I looked harder, it makes me look and feel even worse. I owe Tom and Carquip better then this and it has shown me that no matter what people say, or how long they have been in the industry, they can still take advantage of people.

Honestly, I would like to see this issue resolved. I would love to be able to tell Tom that the outstanding invoice has been paid in full, and simply go back to doing what I do best, that being helping people. I take no issue with your comments or your questions, in fact I thank you for your opinion and for your strength in standing up for someone you have done good things with in the past. I know that I would want people to do the same for me should it ever come down to that. In this case, I can quite honestly and completely say that we were in no way at fault here.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this, it really means a lot to me. I hope to be able to report that this matter has been resolved very soon.

Warmest Regards, and I hope that the holiday's treat everyone with warmth and happiness.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell
Old 12-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbuswell
Ed, I think I'd agree with you if it were just plain ol' folk like us trying to avoid some grief. But his website and the free sharing of ideas made him fabulously wealthy. Rumors rage that Pelican grosses at least $5,000,000 per year with nearly zero infrastructure. As I understand it, the overwhelming majority of his parts are drop shipped from WorldPAC and other "real" mega-parts distributors. You think he has a little margin there? For clearing a mill or so a year, I think I could hire a lawyer or two if I were him. Everyone in Porscheland wants to know to not do business with German or Victory or LA or dc or MotorMeister and any of the other bad players in the business. Like I continually note, there are too many good guys around, to give money to the bad guys. We just can't afford to anyway.

A grand or two may not be much money to you but I know first hand that it matters to CarQuip. Unless can show an invoice and a cancelled check, I think we can be confident that Eric's complaint is valid. A pretty strong argument, should really want to pursue this libel lawsuit thing, is show everyone the cancelled check. I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure that's the first thing I'd ask in discovery, if I was Eric's (or Wayne's) lawyer, “Where’s the cancelled check?” Lights out!
Dude, you're smoking something that is warping your thoughts. First of all, you don't know what Wayne makes, and to assume, and then make the comment he's getting "fabulously wealthy", sounds like utter jealousy to me. Secondly, it is ludicrous to suggest that because he has an allegedly profitable business, that he wants to keep a legal team on retainer to deal with lawsuits he doesn't have to face. Start your own forum, and you can be king.

Let's take it a step further; Maybe he's making so much money we should allow the government come in and take it over-we'll Socialize Pelican. Then, we'll take money from the rich and give to the poor-more so than what is already done via taxes.

Thirdly, if you'll take the time to read and digest instead of jumping to conclusions, I did agree that $2K is a lot of money to lose-I supported Erik's posting of the warning, and thanked him.

Last edited by Robb M.; 12-29-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: BEWARE OF JOE AT GERMAN AUTO DISMANTLER