Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Scratched Fuch

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched Fuch

My wonderful local Firestone shop in Campbell, CA scratched the crap out of my previously pristine wheel while replacing my rear tire that had developed a sidewall bubble from a nail with only 3k miles on it. They claim to have a shop that can repair the scratches so the rim is like new. Anybody have any experience with rim repairs like this?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:24 AM
machnerd
Cruisin'

Default why repair it?

I've got four of them sitting in my back yard in Mountain View, taken off my SC at 65k miles in Dec 07! 2 ea 16x6&7

Otherwise, I've heard about different shops here in the Bay Area and in Sacto that will do it. The times I've considered it, it was too expensive at their $150 minimum charge. Never seen the finished products, though.

So really, I'm just wasting your time...

-joel
Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by machnerd
So really, I'm just wasting your time...

-joel
Excellent first post. Now go start a new thread introducing yourself with lots of pics. Oh, and welcome!!!!!!

OP: Different shops can do different levels of work. It usually involves a lathe and perhaps some welding from what I have heard. I guess it really depends on how **** you are and how bad the 'scratches' are. But there are some good shops out there.

wheelsamerica.com is an example of one such shop, I do believe they have some before and after pics on their website if you are curious as to what can be done.

-matt
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 AM
machnerd
Cruisin'

Default caught

I was wondering if someone would catch me out on that one. It's so rare that I have anything to add to a thread, I've just been a lurker for a while.

Of course, I don't think I added anything of value on this one, either.

I'll post an intro.

-Joel
Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I purchased my "almost perfect" car, the outer 1/2" of the wheels had road rash & scratches, so I removed the anodization (VERY hard stuff), by sanding with progressively finer grits (60, 100, 200, then wet 1000, 2000) and polishing with Mother's. It was a LOT of work and beer , but I had the time. They look great, so I now remove my wheels, take them to the tire shop, ask for their "best" guy and insist upon watching over their shoulder as they mount & balance to my satisfaction.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-16-2008, 08:44 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some links:

http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/FuchsPolishing.htm

I have read many good things about Harvey Weidman & Al Reed.

Ian
Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Thanks all and welcome Joel!

I'll find out which shop they plan to use today hopefully (I've had to call three times to get this setup now after manager assured me I'd get a call last weekend) and see if I can research their work. Hopefully this shop will show up on Ian's list.

Most of the scratches are very small but there's one fairly nasty one that I know will bother me every time I look at it. After getting home from picking up the wheel (KC911 I remove them and drop them off too ;-) ) I also discovered that they had forgotten to put on the center cap back on, grrrr. So all in all a crappy experience with these guys.

I'll post back with results and before after pics.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harvey Weidman is in Oroville. He's a master at refinishing Fuchs wheels. I wouldn't do anything without first sending him some pictures and getting his opinion. If he can fix it, I'd insist that the shop pay for him to do the work.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shop should fix it, regardless of cost....they screwed it up.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Angry This reminds me why ...

Originally Posted by Antony.
My wonderful local Firestone shop in Campbell, CA scratched the crap out of my previously pristine wheel while replacing my rear tire that had developed a sidewall bubble from a nail with only 3k miles on it. They claim to have a shop that can repair the scratches so the rim is like new. Anybody have any experience with rim repairs like this?
I really need to learn how to mount tires myself. I know it's a lot of work and requires some equipment but there just doesn't seem to be anyone (other than the wheel shops themselves, like Weidman or Reed) who know how to carefully mount tires. Is it really that hard for those klutzes in the tire shops to slow down and not shoot for a new world record when they work on nice wheels? It's just a crying shame.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:56 PM
carreraken
Advanced

+1 Harvey Weidman, he did an excellent job on my wheels.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Wheel Enhancement can most likely repair it, but it will cost $$, IMHO, the shop should cover it.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:36 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

This doesn't help but because of your post it got me fired up again about Two Porsches and Discount Tire. I had an '86 coupe that needed tires so I went to Discount Tire in San Diego because they advertise in the San Diego Porsche Club magazine. Bad Idea.
These idiots that claim to be Porsche tire experts placed one seven inch in front with the tire that was supposed to go on the six rim. Then one six inch rim with the seven inch tire in the back.
I figured anyone can make a mistake. So, like a fool I took another 911 for tires and asked them to have the weights placed on the inside. Guess where the weights were placed? Then they tried to talk me out of placing them where I asked, this was all written on the work order.......idiots.

Let me tell you what the word "Discount" means in their heads. "Discount" what you want and replace it with what they want. I wouldn't buy another tire from these clowns if it was 2 fer 1.
By the by concerning your wheel. If it was perfect then send it to the guy that will make perfect again....period. I am sick of people not doing the jobs right and trying to blame others. They have a guy......sure. Where is Clint Eastwood?............Hang em' High.

Last edited by cal44; 08-24-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Scratched Fuch