Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Quick valve adjust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick valve adjust question

After adjusting my valves and closing her back up I have noisy exhaust valve in the right bank so today I'm opening her up again to check that side once more.

I used the backside method to determine if any valves needed adjusting and if they did I used the direct method to adjust them, then verifying with the backside method.

My question is: exactly how much out do they have to be before they generate some noise? It seems as though using the backside verify method I should be within .0005 of the specified .004.

Also a bonus question, if I only jack up the right side and remove the bottom valve cover how much oil will spill? Just wondering if I should completely drain the crankcase again or if I can get away with it without a drain?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:46 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bullit
After adjusting my valves and closing her back up I have noisy exhaust valve in the right bank so today I'm opening her up again to check that side once more.

I used the backside method to determine if any valves needed adjusting and if they did I used the direct method to adjust them, then verifying with the backside method.

My question is: exactly how much out do they have to be before they generate some noise? It seems as though using the backside verify method I should be within .0005 of the specified .004.
I thought the backside method was good but then I did it the normal way and found it to be quicker, easier, and less aggravating. It also seems to have given me a better adjust.

Also a bonus question, if I only jack up the right side and remove the bottom valve cover how much oil will spill? Just wondering if I should completely drain the crankcase again or if I can get away with it without a drain?
If you jack one side up good and high (use jack stands, throw tires underneath...etc safety) and you take off the lower cover you won't loose more than about an once at most. At least that was my experience. I gave it a few min to make sure all the oil drained to the other side. I also reused my nuts, washers, and gaskets. Still no leaks but probably not the best idea.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Antony.
Instructor

Thanks! I did find my just barely loose valve today. Hopefully I can get this right on the third try :-)

And I finally managed to break my tranny drain plug free with an improvised 17mm hex socket (chopped the end of the allen wrench off and stuck it in a 17mm socket) and big breaker bar so I'm just about done with the 60k service after only three weeks lol.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Thanks! I did find my just barely loose valve today. Hopefully I can get this right on the third try :-)

And I finally managed to break my tranny drain plug free with an improvised 17mm hex socket (chopped the end of the allen wrench off and stuck it in a 17mm socket) and big breaker bar so I'm just about done with the 60k service after only three weeks lol.
wow at 100.00 an hour shop time .. you saved a bundle .. 3 weeks would a killed ya .. :-)
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
wow at 100.00 an hour shop time .. you saved a bundle .. 3 weeks would a killed ya .. :-)
Yeah it's nice to be able to leave a car in the garage for weeks on end and not have the pressure of having to complete a repair or service late on a Sunday night in order to get to work the next day Did a lot of that in my younger poorer days. I've been taking my time on this since it's my first attempt at doing valves on a 911 so when I fired it up and heard some valve noise I immediately shut it down and waited until I had some more free time to work on it. But I have to say I'm really missing my weekend drives out in the twisties and that gets especially bad on an F1 weekend.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I was fortunate that my adjust was very good. i found it really helpfull to tuck the guage under the rocker on the valve side and sort of rotate it in. Worked great .. of course the bad side was I blew up the air box but that ia a WHOLE other sotry. Sounds like you have things well in hand.

Great Job.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

But I have to say I'm really missing my weekend drives out in the twisties and that gets especially bad on an F1 weekend.
Especially when the boys are in Montreal - what an incredible track! Go, Robert, go!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Antony.
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
I was fortunate that my adjust was very good. i found it really helpfull to tuck the guage under the rocker on the valve side and sort of rotate it in. Worked great .. of course the bad side was I blew up the air box but that ia a WHOLE other sotry. Sounds like you have things well in hand.
Great Job.
I finally got your trick working yesterday and was able to get the hang for rotating the feeler in there. So I checked and made all adjustments with the direct method and low and behold she's nice and quiet now.

Also as old man neri predicted I only lost a minimal amount of oil with one side jacked up.

And to Peter... good race eh? Can't believe the mistake that was made but good for Bob!

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions in the various posts.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

bullit: Good job on the re-adjust - rotating the feeler gauge into place is how it should be done. Just that slight amount of movement, perfected with practice, makes the whole thing work.

Great race - what's with that pit-out light in Canada? Massa (who was brilliant yesterday going from last to 5th) missed it last year, and then Hamilton pulling the ultimate bonehead yesterday. Bad deal for Kimi, that could have actually ended up being a 3-car race to the finish...

Quick Reply: Quick valve adjust question