Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How do you know when you should replace your clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know when you should replace your clutch??

Yes I have read the G50 rattle thread, but my G50 also rattles in neutral, no load on the engine. Only rattles when clutch pedal is not depressed. When you press the pedal in (which I think effectively moves the plates further apart) the rattle goes away. Lately I FEEL like the rattle is getting louder. I dont know if I have a rubber center or spring center, but know the clutch was replace at about 90Kish. Car now has 128K almost. I drive well, but who knows if the last guy did. How can one tell if their clutch is "running out".
Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've the same thing,..not too loud at all. I certainly don't consider it "G50 rattle",..I say it's clutch related?

Sub'd...

Best,
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

If I am in say 5th or 4th at a low speed and I slam on the gas, sure it rattles, as it should when you lug it like that. But even at a stand still, no gear.....clutch depressed rattle gone, clutch pedal let out (no gear in neutral) and i get rattle rattle rattle. Its loud enough to hear over the engine. As I let go of the clutch in neutral you can even hear the clutch click and rattle, like its being slapped against something and rattle starts.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshin11
...clutch depressed rattle gone, clutch pedal let out (no gear in neutral) and i get rattle rattle rattle. Its loud enough to hear over the engine. As I let go of the clutch in neutral you can even hear the clutch click and rattle, like its being slapped against something and rattle starts.
The first sign of accelerated wear on a G 50 clutch is a heavy pedal, the other is slipping during aggressive up-shifts. Your "clutch depressed rattle gone" is normal - when you push the clutch pedal to the floor you basically disconnect the transmission from the engine. The trans stops turning internally, no noise. However, with as much noise as you're experiencing in other normal driving conditions I would make a guess that you have a spring-hub disc, and as it wears the noise becomes more noticeable (is there a chance that it's always been there but has recently started to bug you?).
Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Is it slipping at all?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
The first sign of accelerated wear on a G 50 clutch is a heavy pedal, the other is slipping during aggressive up-shifts. Your "clutch depressed rattle gone" is normal - when you push the clutch pedal to the floor you basically disconnect the transmission from the engine. The trans stops turning internally, no noise. However, with as much noise as you're experiencing in other normal driving conditions I would make a guess that you have a spring-hub disc, and as it wears the noise becomes more noticeable (is there a chance that it's always been there but has recently started to bug you?).
It has been bugging me for over 6 months, but getting slowly more noisy. I checked the records and clutch was done at 93000 (35K miles ago) with updated T.O. bearing and guide tube ,etc... If I do try to get a new clutch I am guessing I should go back to rubber?

How can I tell if there is slipping?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

the engine will rev as it '"slips"
Old 05-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

......and you can smell it.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I don't think it is slipping then. I even tried putting the parking brake on and trying to let the clutch out in 4th, the car wanted to stall it didn't like it much.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

then i think your good to go and turn the radio up .. pS stop smilng at us like tha t..LOL put a cool car pic there.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

better ?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:37 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshin11
better ?
No. The only acceptable avatars are either pics of a 911 or girls. However, girls are generally not work safe so they can't be posted. So that leaves just pics of your car.

There have been exceptions such as Pete's book, and Ice's simpson version of himself.

Your current avatar, as of 1140pm EST 08MAY08, is sort of creepy. But at the end of the day.....to each their own.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

what about this avatar?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
+1! Also, keep in mind that when you are in neutral, your transmission is still spinning wildly inside if the clutch is out.

What you describe sounds fairly normal, but I instantly start thinking about low fluid or maybe fluid that should be changed. What kind of trans fluid are you running? Did you change it recently?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Didn't jakeflyer say he tilts the car on it's side and overfills for just this reason?

Quick Reply: How do you know when you should replace your clutch??