New 87 Carrera owner, roadtrip to pick it up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 87 Carrera owner, roadtrip to pick it up

Hi folks,

I wanted to introduce myself - I've been reading here for a bit while doing research. I've just purchased my first Porsche - an 87 Carrera 3.2 Coupe. I found it on consignment at Midwest Performance Cars in Chicago (Tom Simmons is great to deal with). I live outside Boston. So after going out to look at it a few weeks ago and getting a PPI at Midwest Eurosport (across town - top notch Porsche race prep/service shop), I made an offer and I got it! Car has about 105K, top end rebuilt, good repaint, DAS Sport roll bar, Recaro SRD seats, and Sabelt 5-pts. It was only used by a father/son team for two weekend DEs. I'm an instructor for the BMW CCA (hopefully PCA as well soon), so I plan to be taking this car to the track. I'll have a few more questions in that area once I get the car.

So, the car is still out there while a few needs get attended to before I take possession of it. I'm flying back out Sat, 3/15 with a friend and we're doing a roadtrip back that weekend. We'll probably stay Sat night with a relative near Watkins Glen, assuming the weather predicted for that route is decent. Basically we have 2 route choices:

- Rt. 90 just about the whole way through Cleveland, then along the lake through Buffalo, then straight east (this route would get us to the relative Sat night)

OR

- Rt. 80 through Penn. to Scranton and get 84 east from there.

They are about the same distance. Any thoughts on road conditions, likely weather, speed traps or food stops along either route? We won't have a lot of time to visit anything but a decent lunch destination can make the whole day.

I've already got a detailed packing list together that includes a decent set of tools, navigational gear, camera, etc. I'm looking forward to the adventure - that weekend and long after.

Carl
Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Fedex your tools, you probably will not be able to fly with them(pretty sure). Spare fan belt and tools to change it. Enough warm clothing in case you get stuck somewhere. I carry a snow suit as well as the heavy coats. Rain gear, 2 flash lights(fedex) air pressure gauge, correct maps. Weather.com for 10 day forecasts for each area. Have fun. You are now a ticket target-- watch the speed.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

you can fly with tools . i do it all the time . You just have to check them.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

When I use to fly for my old work, I would just check my tools and equipment. Boy does US customs ever go bananas when you fly into the US with tools. They don't care about security, they are worried about jobs. It's always a fun time.

I picked up my 911 at Midwest and drove it back as well (they did the PPI). It was an 800 mile trip. I flew down, finished the deal, got a temp registration, drove to the Canadian boarder, exported and imported it, and then drove the rest of the way. All and all about 24hrs straight. It was fun. No mishaps.

My biggest worry would be a snow storm like one that is suppose to hit this saturday. I wouldn't want to be on the highway in the snow, on summer tires, in a car I am unfamiliar with.

Oh, lastly, bring a camera, document the journey, and have a blast!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice! I bought my 87 911 from Tom in January and drove it home to Cleveland. It was a sweet drive back and the weather held out for me.

I remember seeing your car there. Good luck and enjoy the ride home. Luckily his shop is right down the street from a highway on-ramp so you won't get lost in the city.

Mark
Old 03-06-2008, 11:05 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdistel
Luckily his shop is right down the street from a highway on-ramp so you won't get lost in the city.
Hahaha, I actually missed that on ramp and got slightly disoriented. But I did manage to make it back to the highway just in time for rush hour. It was my first experience with an air cooled engine in the summer heat in bumper to bumper.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mdistel
Nice! I bought my 87 911 from Tom in January and drove it home to Cleveland. It was a sweet drive back and the weather held out for me.

I remember seeing your car there. Good luck and enjoy the ride home. Luckily his shop is right down the street from a highway on-ramp so you won't get lost in the city.

Mark
Mark - you must have bought the black one - very nice. I wanted to compare the two, but you got it before I got a chance to check it out. I hope it's working out well for you.

Carl
Old 03-06-2008, 11:38 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by old man neri
When I use to fly for my old work, I would just check my tools and equipment. Boy does US customs ever go bananas when you fly into the US with tools. They don't care about security, they are worried about jobs. It's always a fun time.

I picked up my 911 at Midwest and drove it back as well (they did the PPI). It was an 800 mile trip. I flew down, finished the deal, got a temp registration, drove to the Canadian boarder, exported and imported it, and then drove the rest of the way. All and all about 24hrs straight. It was fun. No mishaps.

My biggest worry would be a snow storm like one that is suppose to hit this saturday. I wouldn't want to be on the highway in the snow, on summer tires, in a car I am unfamiliar with.

Oh, lastly, bring a camera, document the journey, and have a blast!
It's good to hear from others with direct experience with Tom @ MPC. Just reassuring. I was planning to check my bag with tools - thanks for confirming that that's okay.

Yes, my biggest concern is a snowstorm as well. If we encounter one, we'll just have to take it very slow.

Carl
Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Carl,

I actually bought the Red Targa. The black one was sold before I started looking, it would have been a sweet car. Enjoy

Mark
Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
OhioMark
Instructor

Carl;

Becareful with your speed going through Ohio, the Highway Patrol are
very aggressive, and they'd love nothing more than pulling over a Porsche!
Good luck, and if you want my phone # for emergency purposes in the
Cleveland area, just send a PM. Thanks!

Mark
Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Awesome adventure Carl. I bought mine in MI a few years ago, rented a car one way & drove thru Canadia to save some miles. On the way thru customs, they clued me in to stay in the US on the way home, as it might get impounded for 3 days at each entry / exit. DOH! So, I took the Pike / Thruway home to RI vs. going through PA. PA is not bad if you hit it during the day, but there's long sections of nothingness and I wouldn't want to get stuck out there.

I had no problems doing the 800 mile trip in my 84, except for getting caught in Lake Effect snow in NY. Pulled into a motel for a few hours of shuteye after thinking I'd beaten the snow east enough, and woke up to a few inches on everything. Ugh. Figured out how the 911 doesn't like snow on summer tires.

Other than that, all's good. Bring an extra 2 qts of oil, and a microfiber for the inside windshield should you need it. Say hi to the Ohio Trooper who let me off at 82 in a 65 for me, would you?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carl, welcome to Porsche-hood. Sounds like you found exactly what you wanted, & a fine example at that - yea! You will have a challenge adjusting to 911 handling from Bimmers, esp the M3 - but it will make you an even better driver-instructor for everyone.

To all the great advice, I would add; read the owner's manual thoroughly before the trip, if possible (any 87-89 will do) or have your co-pilot read it to you on the trip (he's gotta have some function, eh?). Also, confirm (if you haven't yet) that the car has its full tool-kit complement (as well as all factory paperwork that came w/ the car) - that kit is comprehensive for working on it while on a normal road trip. You might want to buy the model-specific Bentley Manual & bring it along - you won't need it but it does provide piece of mind or help put you to sleep at night... Happy trails!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Congradulations. Should be a fantastic voyage. Nothing I really add, but have fun and don't forget to pay the tolls around Chicagoland. Doh!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:28 PM
old man neri
Drifting

+1 on reading the owners manual. I did that on my drive home. I would read a bit at every rest stop. Took me 400mi to realize I had cruise control, another 100 to figure out how to use it. There is also a special 'german' way or checking the oil. Good thing Tom at midwest told me about that one before I left.

The one thing that I should have done but I did because I didn't think I had the tools was align my headlights. When I got in the car they were really poorly aligned for some reason.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Years ago when I was selling my 81 911SC Turbo I drove it to PA from Boston in a January. Sure, it's winter, but these are rear wheel drive cars, and most interstates are well kept. Just avoid the desire to punch it unless the roads are completely clear! You should have no problem getting it back to Boston right now,--even IN the snow. (You could always pick up a set of cable chains just to play it safe).

Quick Reply: New 87 Carrera owner, roadtrip to pick it up