Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:06 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kick7ca
Good point, yes. I own an 89 and personally don't see it as a good reward vs. risk. If I had an 85 it could be a different story. Just wanted to chime in on the topic.

I'm more intersted to read people responses to my suggestion that better part throttle response is no different than using your right ankle more. Hmm?
My take: most folks probably spend more time in the "part throttle" mappings verses the WOT mappings. I'm as conservative as they come, and I've always run 93 octane in my performance cars so I do not think it is "risky" to push the envelop just a bit further. I thought my stock suspension was "right" until I upgraded it too but I do like your "right ankle" suggestion !

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 02-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll gladly leave my engine's life in the hands of the people that designed it, raced it, and built it for 20+ years.

(isn't cut and paiste great)

I really doubt that Porsche raced this engine with the stock chip. Sorry.

Someone here said that you drive torque, not horse power. That's why wide open throtle is irrelevant to the discussion. It's all about drivability. We don't drive with the throtle all the way open. We drive on the street, in traffic, or on the weekends for fun. Russell isn't marketing his chip for the track, he is marketing it for a better drive. The chip makes the car funner to drive. It does what I want it to do the moment I want it to. The stock chip was a constant waiting game. How much gas, how long, wondering when I was gonna go fast. Now, it is immediate. It doesn't hesitate for a moment or have a slow bumpy ramp up the RPM curve. It simply goes and goes now. If that is horse power great, but to me that is just a better drive.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:16 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I really doubt that Porsche raced this engine with the stock chip. Sorry.
I never wrote that. My point was that the factory has the body of knowledge and the expertise to best tune our motors for longevity.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Regarding the stock chip: There was actually more than one stock chip used. For a great explanation see this great post by Steve W: Carrera 3.2 Performance mystery and Chips (long)

Ian
Old 02-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

...and about Lorenfb, if not an endorcement, perhaps Russell is just the lesser of two evils.....

Lorenfb, what do you think about chips?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Lorenfb, what do you think about chips?
I like the rippled kind, although I have been known to enjoy the ketchup variety from time to time.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ketchup! you guys are freaks. We have a Frito Lay plant here in town so I like Doritos...
Old 02-20-2008, 05:31 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
This is really a question more than a statment, but is it possible that technology and know-how come into play now with chip tuning vs. what Porsche had to work with when they launched the 3.2 engine computer?
During the years of the 3.2L Porsche's own know-how and technology changed. The code to run the computer and the data (maps) changed a few times. As for technology changing, the DME is still what it is. An old, slow, digital computer. The engine is still the engine, a non-digital device. I prefer to consider myself an engine tuner rather than a chip tuner. Because I tune the engine, but changing the data values in the maps in the chips. I don't re-write the motronic code to read sensors or inputs differently in the 3.2L chips. In the turbo world I've re-written the AFM transfer function to accomodate certain MAFs without the need for a piggyback computer. But in the 3.2L world code modifications are not necessary. I have superior technology than most tuners in that I designed my own tuning interface, and have the ability to tune the cars live, not just logging/retuning. This is how most tuning has been done in the past.

Porsche designed a car that would be strong and reliable, and did so with a huge margin for safety with the knowledge that shipping cars all over the planet would require such margins. Hence, they de-tune the car using the computer programming to provide reasonable performance, safely, anywhere. Some regional maps differ because of emission requirements, or the lack thereof depending on region.

There is indeed a limited number of variables to be manipulated in these chips, just not much there at all. So what is going to seperate one chip from another will be methods and practices. I've known many engine tuners over the years, and they all have different methods of achieving similar goals. As to who does it best, only time will tell as this data has to be a collection of raw numbers and opinions. So the answer to that question will always be vague.

Now going a bit off topic. Tomorrow morning I'm leaving for TN, my mother is in the hospital and I must go see her. I'll be back Thursday or Friday of next week, unless circumstances extend my stay. I'll have limited internet access for the next week, so please be patient if trying to reach me. I'm almost always phone available. All pending orders have been shipped, what comes in this week will be shipped as soon as I get back.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Russell, Take care of your mother. None of this really matters more than family.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Is this forum evolving into what occurs on the "other" forum;

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=391950

i.e. personal attacks and slams? Hopefully not, and it's limited
to some with insecurities that have to resort to that as the only
response given an inability to discuss on a technical level.

Rennlist has always been "cut above" the "other" forum and
thankfully the personal attacks here are minimal.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Is this forum evolving into what occurs on the "other" forum;

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=391950

i.e. personal attacks and slams? Hopefully not, and it's limited
to some with insecurities that have to resort to that as the only
response given an inability to discuss on a technical level.

Rennlist has always been "cut above" the "other" forum and
Personal attacks are your stock in trade. You reap what you sow.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ed, would you kindly tell Loren that his inputing links to Pelican, though interesting, is not required. this was just a chat between friends about our results from adding a chip to the mix. Yes, now we know he sells DME's and that is his only goal here. Did I tell you about the UFO's?

Edit: Lorenfb, I see that you are online with us no dobt reading this now. I see what you think of me and I saw how you quoted me. I think we were doing just fine without your advertisements added in. We know you are the GURU for the DME. If you have something to say that is funny, educational, or will add to the mood then post away. If you are here to point fingers and call us to repent of our eveil ways than stop. Our moderators will do a fine job of keeping us inline. ...and just so you know...I would rather chat from the heart with the local village idiots (like myself) than have someone come in and speak down to me no matter how true your words.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 02-21-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

....Rennlist has always been "cut above" the "other" forum and
Ahem...you began your juvenile, personal attacks here on Rennlist many years ago approximately six months before you joined Pelican and initiated more of the same there. The archives on both boards are there for anyone who cares ...I don't

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 02-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Is this forum evolving into what occurs on the "other" forum; i.e. personal attacks and slams? Rennlist has always been "cut above" the "other" forum and thankfully the personal attacks here are minimal.
An absolutely unbelieveable statement, considering the source. Everyone on both boards have been requesting more civility from you, Loren, for years. You ARE the problem. A simple search will reveal that a large percentage of your posts are personal attacks.

What a freakin' joke.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:43 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Russell, Take care of your mother. None of this really matters more than family.
Thanks Douglas!

My mother is doing fine. She was very weak, but now she's built her strength up so they can do surgery soon. She'll be getting her gall bladder taken out, which is really minor surgery now days.

The whole trip I put about 2200 miles on the car, I was curious how differently it would run going from sea level to elevations of 3000+ ft through the mountains and such. I experienced no dicernable difference. In the last 150 miles of my trip in CT I had a blow out. Strange because it was a new tire. No incident, I felt the back end getting a little squirrely and just pulled over. Then I realized I have a spare, but no tools or jack. Fortunately for me, CT has these guys that work for DOT who roam around looking for people broken down. Guy came by, changed my tire and blew up my spare, and wouldn't accept any gratuity. He was happy to have something to do and someone to talk to for a few minutes I suppose.

Anyway, I'm back and everything is business as usual. Thank to all who sent supportive emails and PMs.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: 911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera