Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:09 AM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera

I recently installed a 911 Max chip by Russell Berry. I have had the chip in my car for the past few days. Wow, what a difference a chip can make! The power curve and throttle response could not be better. I previously had a SW chip which I absolutely loved. I think the 911Max chip may offer a little better throttle response. If you are currently using the stock chip, take it out and save it for your smog test. I have done many mods to my car, however, this is by far the best so far.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:17 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmasotto
I recently installed a 911 Max chip by Russell Berry. I have had the chip in my car for the past few days. Wow, what a difference a chip can make! The power curve and throttle response could not be better. I previously had a SW chip which I absolutely loved. I think the 911Max chip may offer a little better throttle response. If you are currently using the stock chip, take it out and save it for your smog test. I have done many mods to my car, however, this is by far the best so far.
I bought my car in October and have only put a couple of hundred miles on it before i had to put it away for the winter. The person I bought it off suspected it had a chip, but I have no idea if and which one. What I do know is when the engine gets hot, the engine starts revving as if the computer program is hunting. Some suggested I might replace a valve (can't remember the name but EVO valve or something). Others suggested it might be the chip. What are the specs on your new chip, I.e., hp and torque increase? Have you experienced teh revving engine before? How much was the chip and did you install it yourself?

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Justin, I have the same chip as mnmasotto. The throtle response is instant and strong. It wasn't gained by advancing the timing to some crazy 30 degree number as some have thought but buy changing the fuel map. To give you an Idea of how strong the engine is now I am currently adding drilled zimmerman brakes and am only a week or two away from a full Bilstein HD / poly-bronze sport suspention build with the help of Steve Weiner. I had been driving the same roads for a year with my car acting like a slow lumbering slug when I did a cat bypass and the MaxHPkit chip. Now the car keeps getting away from me....I could let off the gas, but that's not like me. I can honestly say it's not the same car!

the quickest way to tell if you have a chip is to remove the driver's seat or move it all the way up and back, remove the four nuts on the DME computer and the one on the cable, flip it over and see if you have scratch marks around the tabs. If you do have scratch marks you may have a chip. to make sure disconnect battery. once you pry open the DME, the stock chip has a bunch of numbers on it. Mine said 1267355358. the custom chips usually have the makers name on them. I think the MaxHPkit is $300 or $350. well worth it.

EDIT: Justin, I just saw your signature...is you engine a '78 or is it an '86?
if you have no 3.2 you have no chip? She is perty though.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:44 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I am currently adding drilled zimmerman brakes and am only a week or two away from a full Bilstein HD / poly-bronze sport suspention
Rub it in, Doug. I'm so jealous.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
Rub it in, Doug. I'm so jealous.
So what's the word on your clutch/trans problem you went to go see the 'doc' about?
Old 02-09-2008, 04:35 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
So what's the word on your clutch/trans problem you went to go see the 'doc' about?
I'm getting a second opinion. The first doc failed to diagnose it. So it's off to a new mechanic on monday.

I'm leaning towards the idea it may be loose shift linkage in the tranny (or somewhere rearward of the coupler that's under the rear access panel).

It's still a mystery. I'm still hoping it's NOT the tranny itself. But whether it's clutch, tranny, or shift linkage... it's gonna require an engine drop I think.

And once I get this resolved.... I'm installing Bilsteins, a front sway bar, and all the other stuff so I can challenge Doug to a race.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Shannon we are way off topic here but I want to point something out. I would love to not be doing the zimmermans and I'm sure as soon as I'm done with the suspension I'll wrap it around a tree....
Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by douglas bray
EDIT: Justin, I just saw your signature...is you engine a '78 or is it an '86? if you have no 3.2 you have no chip? She is perty though.
Hey Douglas. It is a '78 body with an '86 3.2 engine, so I am chip eligible :-)

Thanks for the info. Do you have to do a cat bypass, and does that change things when ordering the chip?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

That's your ICV or Idle Control Valve someone was probably talking about if it's a 3.2. They get carbon in them and can cause surging. You can pull them off and squirt brake or carburator cleaner in them and you might be shocked at the gunk that comes out of them. If that's not the problem you probably need the air flow meter adjusted.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oceanvue
That's your ICV or Idle Control Valve someone was probably talking about if it's a 3.2. They get carbon in them and can cause surging. You can pull them off and squirt brake or carburator cleaner in them and you might be shocked at the gunk that comes out of them. If that's not the problem you probably need the air flow meter adjusted.
Yes, it was the ICV they told me about. Thanks for reminding me. Someone else also told me that it could be the chip I currently have in the computer hunting. Although it seems to happen only when the car is sitting in traffic and gets hot.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:48 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Yes, it was the ICV they told me about. Thanks for reminding me. Someone else also told me that it could be the chip I currently have in the computer hunting. Although it seems to happen only when the car is sitting in traffic and gets hot.
Hey justinrx7,

I could be the chip causing the hunting, some after market chips map out the closed loop O2 sensor operation. At idle, and any time the car is running in the part throttle maps and not under acceleration the computer enters closed loop mode where it reads the O2 sensor and maintains stoich AFR of 14.2-14.7:1. So it could be a chip that mapped out this function, and didn't properly change the cold start fuel correction tables, or it could just be that your O2 sensor is bad. What Douglas said above about checking for stock or aftermarket chip is correct. My chips use the O2 sensor the way it was meant to be used. I know in other cars the Autothority chips, and variants thereof, which make up most of the 944 aftermarket chips, map this out. They also tend to run very rich in mid ranges. Ever see any black smoke coming out of your exhaust under full throttle?

If you do decide to purchase our chip products and the idle continues to hunt, I'll be happy to help you take the necessary steps to rectify the problem if the chip does not.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rberry951
Hey justinrx7,

I could be the chip causing the hunting, some after market chips map out the closed loop O2 sensor operation. At idle, and any time the car is running in the part throttle maps and not under acceleration the computer enters closed loop mode where it reads the O2 sensor and maintains stoich AFR of 14.2-14.7:1. So it could be a chip that mapped out this function, and didn't properly change the cold start fuel correction tables, or it could just be that your O2 sensor is bad. What Douglas said above about checking for stock or aftermarket chip is correct. My chips use the O2 sensor the way it was meant to be used. I know in other cars the Autothority chips, and variants thereof, which make up most of the 944 aftermarket chips, map this out. They also tend to run very rich in mid ranges. Ever see any black smoke coming out of your exhaust under full throttle?

If you do decide to purchase our chip products and the idle continues to hunt, I'll be happy to help you take the necessary steps to rectify the problem if the chip does not.

Regards,
Russell

Thanks Russell. When the weather gets a bit warmer, I will take our my computer and see what is currently in there and let you know.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
m491driver
Advanced

Any new observations regarding this chip? As a previous Steve Wong chip buyer, I'm interested in hearing more experiences.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
SpartanToJo
Instructor

Originally Posted by m491driver
Any new observations regarding this chip? As a previous Steve Wong chip buyer, I'm interested in hearing more experiences.
I would LOVE to give some feedback about Russell's chip that he so generously sent me for evaluation. However, it has been close to ZERO here for some time and we have a foot of snow on the ground (which means an inch of salt on the roads...)

Oh sweet springtime, please come soon!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiousity...since the Steve Wong chips are so well known, tested, and proven, why would someone would go with an unknown quantity here?

Quick Reply: 911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera