Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,..I read those threads and was shocked at the level of friction within. Later, I discovered more of his "personality"..I must say that I've not had any beefs with him personally but have witnessed his outright attacks on others,

Nothing he could say would keep me away from that great Pelican Group. Heck,..all of those guys run over here, as well.

On the other hand, I HAVE picked up some great information from him. I'd just rather not see the bloodletting.

I'm hoping he'll comment further on the Maxhp kit.

Best,
Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
back in january '07 when I got my 911 my brother in law told me about Pelican and Rennlist. I went on Pelican and the first thread I read was loren going off on some poor guy about something only loren knew about. I signed off pelican and didn't go back for six months. I went over to Rennlist and have found 99% of the guys to be cool to chat with. Sorry Loren, next time I may have a different impression...
He's such an 'infrequent' poster on Pelican, unless it comes to threads about chips or DME, I think you just had bad timing. For the one of him, there are a hundred or more other guys that know their stuff.

A lot of them don't post over here, so don't cut yourself short if trying to get an answer or are looking to do some research. If numbers tell us anything, the law of averages is on the side of Pelican when it comes to information on pre-89 911's.

That is not to disrespect guys like Pete Z over here, and well, Steve Weiner is on Pelican a bunch too.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 MAF

Russel what is the ETA for delivery on one of your MAF's with chip? Also do you carry the cone filters if I want to get rid of my stock airbox?
Thanks, Mark
Old 02-17-2008, 02:07 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by mnmasotto
Russel what is the ETA for delivery on one of your MAF's with chip? Also do you carry the cone filters if I want to get rid of my stock airbox?
Thanks, Mark
They are available now. I haven't gotten them on the website yet, and the lead time will be 2-3 weeks as I stated earlier until I get a flow of them coming through. I won't be carrying any cone filters, but they are readily available from many vendors. Most people make their own adapters if needed using silicone hose pieces like come with some MAF kits. A piece comes with this kit to mate up to the adapter for the airbox, which can easily be fitted to a cone filter outlet. I have mine using the stock airbox. If you use a high quality filter in the airbox and drill/cut holes in the outside of the airbox you'll achieve just as much flow as with a cone filter.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-17-2008, 02:16 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Lorenfb on Pelican is the one guy that turns my stomach at Pelican and it almost sounds like he likes the MaxHPkit chip. Russell if you are listening, a thumbs up from that nut is about as valuable as one from me....I can't stand him. I can't stand his approach. I can't stand anything about him. BUT, it sounds like he likes your chip. ......or does he just hate Steve Wong?
I have seen Lorenfb's posts here and on pelican in the past, and agree he usually picks apart chip vendors. There was a rather long thread on pelican where he picked at me, and other pelicans told me just to give up when I attempted to converse with him logically. That didn't sway me, I still answered his every post on my topic with concise information.

I'm use to nay sayers, I'm used to accusations, none of that stuff effects me at all. I just keep doing what I'm doing.

I also don't participate in the 'vendor wars'. You all are more than welcome to say anything you like about me or anyone else. When I say something about 'other vendors' as far as practices and methods, these are vendors that I am familiar with from my 944 tuning experiences. I have no experience with any 911/964/968/928/etc vendors. But some are the same, like autothority, but what I say about them most knowledgable people in the community already know about the methods they use, and their porpensity toward steep timing and rich fueling. Especially in the turbo world. So, having said that, I don't want to see anyone remarking or implying that I have stated anything against Steve Wong, or any other vendor in this market. I know nothing about them other than what I have read on the forums. And from what I have read Steve Wong has the largest client following and produces quality products. Again, I don't need to discredit nor belittle him or his products to prove mine. My products prove themselves.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
For some reason, he just stalks Steve W, and attacks him constantly.
Yep, he started "the insults" here on Rennlist back around '02/03 and moved to Pelican a few months later. From Loren's perspective (unless he's recently changed his viewpoint) Porsche knew what they were doing (even in '84-86 ), and the stock chips simply can't be improved upon unless you're willing to potentially destroy your motor with predetonation. He makes no concessions for exhaust mods, different octane levels, etc. and imo has had a agenda with Steve Wongs' chips from the git-go. In the early days he claimed that we were all idiots, were "feeling things", and that is was a placebo effect because we had spent the $. At least he now conceeds that the stock chip "can" be improved upon. Loren has probably helped Steve Wong sell more chips than he can ever imagine, but here is a synopsis and a direct quote:

"Chips suck, case closed" - Lorenfb

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 02-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"At least he now conceeds that the stock chip "can" be improved upon."

Do what???????
Old 02-18-2008, 12:44 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I'm not quite sure that I've witnessed a "concession", just yet.

Best,
Old 02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank's for the PM guys.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"At least he now conceeds that the stock chip "can" be improved upon."

Do what???????
Maybe I gave you too much credit, sorry about that. Let's go back to square one: If one is running a stock '84-86 chip, in your opinion, can one safely achieve "better" performance (without risk of predetonation) by installing a stock '87-89 chip (or Steve Wong chip ), or did Porsche get it "right" back in '84-86? Second question, if one is willing to run 93 octane (along with exhaust mods), in your opinon, can the '87-89 chip mappings be "tweaked" or must everyone be constrained by the crappy gas that's available in CA? In other words, can any single chips' mappings be optimal for all grades of gasoline, or did Porsche make concessions for "crappy gas" in order to protect against predetonation?

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Last edited by KC911; 02-18-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

I've been reading alot on all these threads and on Pelican about chips....and some Loren dude dissing chips....and butt dynos....and how people love their chips....and on and on. Here's what I think, and I don't have a chip in my 89 3.2

It seems the only major benefit, even to the best chip, is improved part thottle response. But isn't that what full throttle is for? What's the difference between a chipped car at part throttle, and an unchipped car at closer to full throttle?

Moreover, it simply makes good sense to have a conservatively mapped engine in a car meant to be driven hard, especially when it's air cooled with no knock sensors!

Would these engines enjoy the same reputation for durability if they came factory equipped with SW chips? Who knows. But Porsche definately got something very right and their reputation speaks for itself.

I'll gladly leave my engine's life in the hands of the people that designed it, raced it, and built it for 20+ years.

Last edited by kick7ca; 02-18-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kick7ca
Would these engines enjoy the same reputation for durability if they came factory equipped with SW chips? Who knows. But Porsche definately got something very right and their reputation speaks for itself...
I just have one question, did Porsce get it "right" in '84-86 or in '87-89? Something tells me they couldn't have been "very right" with both versions . Everyone should do their own research and make their own informed decisions...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by KC911
I just have one question, did Porsce get it "right" in '84-86 or in '87-89? Something tells me they couldn't have been "very right" with both versions . Everyone should do their own research and make their own informed decisions...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Good point, yes. I own an 89 and personally don't see it as a good reward vs. risk. If I had an 85 it could be a different story. Just wanted to chime in on the topic.

I'm more intersted to read people responses to my suggestion that better part throttle response is no different than using your right ankle more. Hmm?

Last edited by kick7ca; 02-18-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kick7ca
I've been reading alot on all these threads and on Pelican about chips....and some Loren dude dissing chips....and butt dynos....and how people love their chips....and on and on. Here's what I think, and I don't have a chip in my 89 3.2

It seems the only major benefit, even to the best chip, is improved part thottle response. But isn't that what full throttle is for? What's the difference between a chipped car at part throttle, and an unchipped car at closer to full throttle?

Moreover, it simply makes good sense to have a conservatively mapped engine in a car meant to be driven hard, especially when it's air cooled with no knock sensors!

Would these engines enjoy the same reputation for durability if they came factory equipped with SW chips? Who knows. But Porsche definately got something very right and their reputation speaks for itself.

I'll gladly leave my engine's life in the hands of the people that designed it, raced it, and built it for 20+ years.
This is really a question more than a statment, but is it possible that technology and know-how come into play now with chip tuning vs. what Porsche had to work with when they launched the 3.2 engine computer?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:06 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
This is really a question more than a statment
Food for discussion!

Quick Reply: 911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera