Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:47 PM
m491driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to argue with the success of the Steve Wong chip...but you never know. I'll be interested to see where this all goes.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
Just out of curiousity...since the Steve Wong chips are so well known, tested, and proven, why would someone would go with an unknown quantity here?
Risk vs. Reward.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:01 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At some point, I am positive that no Steve Wong, Autothority, nor any other chip existed. So once introduced, they were unknown. When I entered the 944/S/S2/51 market I was a complete unknown. People tried my products over well known vendors. Now, only a little over a year later I am considered a leader in that market and have products in over 500 944 series cars now. My next endeavor was the 3.2L 911 series. While my products may be an unknown for this community, my reputation of excellence in products and services spans the globe. Vendors such as Lindsey Racing, Paragon Products, and Pelican Parts carry my products. I guarantee my products, and I stand behind my every word and action. Your risk will be minimal in as much as modifying your car from factory configuration can allow. Your rewards are guaranteed, and your expense will be less than that of competitors.

I have now completed a MAF kit as well, it is selling for 1100.00 USD and includes a custom chip. This is less than half the price of anything else available to this community. And of course aside from chip products I have developed a live tuning tool for your cars, allowing you or a dyno tech to dial your tune in as exactly as it can be. No two cars are just alike, no matter how much time I spend on my car insuring that your transition from idle to wide open throttle is as smooth as it can be, your car will run slightly different. This is a simple reality of the dynamics of the engines and aging systems. But no one else has ever brought this level of tunability and flexibility to so many people. I will continue development into the 964, 968, 928 markets, then on to BMW/Audi/Volvo/VW with the same dedication to excellence. I'm not going anywhere, MAXhpkit, LLC is here to stay. And I'm happy to have received the warm welcome to the community as I have from so many of you already. Thank you.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rberry951
At some point, I am positive that no Steve Wong, Autothority, nor any other chip existed. So once introduced, they were unknown. When I entered the 944/S/S2/51 market I was a complete unknown. People tried my products over well known vendors. Now, only a little over a year later I am considered a leader in that market and have products in over 500 944 series cars now. My next endeavor was the 3.2L 911 series. While my products may be an unknown for this community, my reputation of excellence in products and services spans the globe. Vendors such as Lindsey Racing, Paragon Products, and Pelican Parts carry my products. I guarantee my products, and I stand behind my every word and action. Your risk will be minimal in as much as modifying your car from factory configuration can allow. Your rewards are guaranteed, and your expense will be less than that of competitors.

I have now completed a MAF kit as well, it is selling for 1100.00 USD and includes a custom chip. This is less than half the price of anything else available to this community. And of course aside from chip products I have developed a live tuning tool for your cars, allowing you or a dyno tech to dial your tune in as exactly as it can be. No two cars are just alike, no matter how much time I spend on my car insuring that your transition from idle to wide open throttle is as smooth as it can be, your car will run slightly different. This is a simple reality of the dynamics of the engines and aging systems. But no one else has ever brought this level of tunability and flexibility to so many people. I will continue development into the 964, 968, 928 markets, then on to BMW/Audi/Volvo/VW with the same dedication to excellence. I'm not going anywhere, MAXhpkit, LLC is here to stay. And I'm happy to have received the warm welcome to the community as I have from so many of you already. Thank you.

Regards,
Russell
Russell,

Could/would you speak to this discussion of timing map advances? Fuel map alterations?

Your time is appreciated.

Best,
Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Russell,

Could/would you speak to this discussion of timing map advances? Fuel map alterations?

Your time is appreciated.

Best,
Well naturally I'm not going to give away my mappings, but I can tell you I learned first hand that these engines can't be forced to generate power outside their power band like some can by ramping up the timing. Fact is I found these engines aren't that fond of radical timing advances at all. It causes inconsistent behavior, and of course would ultimately cause premature wear of engine components. I had the greatest success with slight timing modifications and radical fueling changes. The engine's power curve has dead spots, or flat spots in it. I mapped those out by manipulating the fueling at the beginning of these spots and progressive timing advances and in some spots retardation. A timing retard will elevate exhaust temperature gases and effect the next few strokes' effeciency as to the burning of fuel. So as an example, if at 1700 rpm you have a lunge or stumble in the part throttle map, I have retarded the timing at 1400-1700 and raise the effective AFR. The end result is a very rapid, yet smooth acceleration through those ranges.

Some chip vendors merely put a car on a dyno and tune the wide open throttle maps to make the best power. This is a good thing to do, but does nothing for the part throttle maps, and unless you have a dedicated race car, you spend most of your time operating in the part throttle maps. I spend the greatest amount of time tuning the part throttle maps so that they are consistent, reliable, and provide the greatest performance.

I hope this gives you a bit of insight into my tuning methods, I plan to video the next dyno tuning session just to show everyone exactly how I go about it, including the operation of Maxtune tuning system which I developed and actively use for all of my tuning.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 PM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Default 911Max

The car is still running fantastic. I now have 1500 miles on your chip. I can say for sure that at part throttle the car runs better than it ever has before. The area of improvement I am the most certain is during "warm-up". The car seems to run as good before operating temperature as when completely warmed up. This is something I have never experienced prior to your chip. Gas mileage seems to be about the same as with the other chips - but who really cares about mpg in a Porsche. I would like to get one of your MAF's if available for the 3.2L Carrera. I remember the last post you said you were having some difficulty with the supplier of the hot wire unit. Anyways, if that problem is now worked out I would love to get one. What kind of difference do you expect I will see with the new MAF? Thanks for all your time and effort!!!
Mark
Old 02-14-2008, 10:19 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by mnmasotto
The car is still running fantastic. I now have 1500 miles on your chip. I can say for sure that at part throttle the car runs better than it ever has before. The area of improvement I am the most certain is during "warm-up". The car seems to run as good before operating temperature as when completely warmed up. This is something I have never experienced prior to your chip. Gas mileage seems to be about the same as with the other chips - but who really cares about mpg in a Porsche. I would like to get one of your MAF's if available for the 3.2L Carrera. I remember the last post you said you were having some difficulty with the supplier of the hot wire unit. Anyways, if that problem is now worked out I would love to get one. What kind of difference do you expect I will see with the new MAF? Thanks for all your time and effort!!!
Mark
Hey Mark,

Good to hear! Since my last post in regard to the MAF I'm happy to say I have been talking to Tom and he is indeed going to continue to produce the units, and still has some on hand. Since they come first to me from Germany, there is a 2-3 week lead time. We've also discussed alternative shipping methods which may reduce that time. But they are, and will be available. I will have them on my website very soon. As for the performance increase I hate to spew numbers because I want to go back to the dyno and do back to back runs with the AFM w/stock chip, AFM w/911MAX, MAF w/911MAX, and then post the numbers. Because the charts I have are all of different days tuning different things. Overall, the chip alone produced 8-14HP over stock across the power band, and 10-20Lbs TQ. The difference between the stock run and the chip w/MAF was 22HP. But again, I want to do all three configurations on the same day within minutes of each other to give the most accurate comparison data.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-14-2008, 10:38 PM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Default 911 max MAF

Russ,
I am happy to hear I can get a MAF soon. Does your MAF use the stock airbox or a cone filter? When I asked about the gains I was more interested in DRIVABILITY differences. Throttle response? etc. The HP does not matter to me as much as DRIVABILITY. Looking forward to your future products!
Mark
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by mnmasotto
Russ,
I am happy to hear I can get a MAF soon. Does your MAF use the stock airbox or a cone filter? When I asked about the gains I was more interested in DRIVABILITY differences. Throttle response? etc. The HP does not matter to me as much as DRIVABILITY. Looking forward to your future products!
Mark
The MAF kit comes with an adapter to attach to the stock airbox, or you can directly attach or relocate a cone filter. The drivability differences are the most prominent differences. Throttle response is instantaneous, every aspect of around town driving is smoother and crisper. I think I'll mount a camera in my car one of these days and go for a drive. Like today lumbering along the beaches at 40mph in 3rd, I climb hills by slightly pressing the throttle, no downshifting necessary. I seldom use 1st gear at all anymore.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-15-2008, 07:55 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your reply, Russell. Am considering getting a chip but am leary of advanced timing maps. I find it interesting that you mention "only slight timing mods and focuss in fuel maps". That tells me that your chip is probably safer than most insofar as advanced timing curves. I find this attractive, as I'm worried about pinging (subaudible) /predetonation with no knock sensing. Obviously, your clientel speaks highly of the improved performance.

Best,
Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 AM
m491driver
Advanced

Ah...just the kind of discussion that I was hoping for and I like what I hear.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Risk vs. Reward.
When the maximum expenditure for the known quantity is ~ $350, and it is tried and true, I just don't see the upside. What do you hope to see...an extra 2 hp?

I don't have a dog in this race, as my car doesn't even have a chip! I'm always amused at internet board behavior, though. Here is a product that, if designed incorrectly (any of them, not singling out this mfg), can effectively destroy your motor. This is a small, start-up company making these and tweaking as they go along. Yet on another thread on this board, others are trashing a well-known OEM manufacturer of wheels for making a fake Fuch (using modern CAD) with, heaven forbid, cast alloy. I would imagine that, if something tragic occurred while using a Rota wheel, that they are a real company with real insurance policies and all. One person made a point of saying basically "why would anyone take such a risk with their Porsche?" Now you read this thread, and you can see the irony.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
When the maximum expenditure for the known quantity is ~ $350, and it is tried and true, I just don't see the upside. What do you hope to see...an extra 2 hp?

I don't have a dog in this race, as my car doesn't even have a chip! I'm always amused at internet board behavior, though. Here is a product that, if designed incorrectly (any of them, not singling out this mfg), can effectively destroy your motor. This is a small, start-up company making these and tweaking as they go along. Yet on another thread on this board, others are trashing a well-known OEM manufacturer of wheels for making a fake Fuch (using modern CAD) with, heaven forbid, cast alloy. I would imagine that, if something tragic occurred while using a Rota wheel, that they are a real company with real insurance policies and all. One person made a point of saying basically "why would anyone take such a risk with their Porsche?" Now you read this thread, and you can see the irony.
Well, that's just it. Everyone has their own risk/reward ratio. Some people don't see any value in an extra 2 hp, so that skews the ratio in favor of risk. Others have a great deal of fun trying new things and that skews the ratio in favor of reward. Same situation, different perceptions.

But I'm with you on this one. It makes no sense when comparing two similar chips to go and throw in another variable. Variables are for people who like to be Pioneers and venture out and try new things. God bless them, but not with my Porsche.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you guys think Russell hasn't looked at the other chips? Have you seen how long he has been involved with the 944 chips? Did you notice that only two chips are sold on Pelican...his and Wong's. I sent him my chip, he down loaded it onto his computer, he checked every part of the program long before he burned one for me. I had grilled him for months about how the chip works and how his competition's chip works. I have every reason to believe him and no reason to disbelieve him. The car runs fantastic. The car is strong and ungodly responsive. I was very sceptical and was quickly won over. I see no reason why a trained programmer can't read a 20 year old code, tweek it slightly in just a couple key areas, and have a car that is easier and funner to drive. I almost want to run out the 95 octane and go get some 89 just to see if I can get it to ping. Dang it, son at jr. high is puking....
Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by douglas bray
...Dang it, son at jr. high is puking....
You'll have to tell him that inhaling 2 non-filtered Camels will do that to a person...

Quick Reply: 911 Max chip in my 1987 3.2 Carrera