Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying Carrera 3.2 Without History - Any Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 PM
ebs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Carrera 3.2 Without History - Any Thoughts?

Hi, I am considering buying an '87 Carrera 3.2 with G50. Left hand drive cars occasionally come into Australia from Japan, and because the steering is on the so called 'wrong' side, they can be picked up for significantly less money. I don't mind sitting on the other side and saving the cash. I know 3.2s are considered very robust, but would you buy one without any service history? I would of course get a full PPI. I have a 928 and 944Turbo (which have been great cars and reliable), so am not going in totally Porsche unaware, but this would be my first 911. I don't want a troublesome money pit and know that maintenance is important. Cars from Japan usualy have very low mileage, but also tend to spend a lot of time sitting in traffic.

Any thoughts? Would you consider a car with NO service history? Thanks in advace.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd consider one, but would insist on an extensive PPI. I'd price it accordingly too. Is there no way of contacting the PO to see what has been done to the car?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:21 AM
ebs
Instructor

Thanks for your post Paul. There's no way of contacting any of the previous owners, as Australian importers buy these cars from Japanese auction houses through reps they're in contact with there (which is the scenario I would expect here) or sometimes even participate in online auctions from Australia.

In Australia, right hand drive cars go for mid $30,000s to mid to high $40,000s (aussie dollars). Left hand drive, in my opinion, results in approximately a $10,000 to $12,000 discount (ie, the cost of conversion). The seller wants $23,500 for the car, so in my opinion the price, assuming the car checks out and some price negotiation, is in the ball park given there's no history etc and it will always be a Japanese car - not an Australian delivered car which is much more desirable at time of re-sale. Also I believe Jap cars (like US) have lower compression engines and therefore are a bit down on power.

We've all heard horror stories about 911s (or any Porsche) causing a lot of financial distress if you get a bad one, and a PPI can only uncover so much. So would anyone buy one with zero history?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess if the PPI didn't show any nasty surprises and the condition, miles and ride all felt good, I'd buy without a service history. A good tech should be able to tell you how well the car has been maintained after he inspects it.

Any pictures?

Paul.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 AM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Have a look at this site http://www.importdriver.com.au/preview.htm and read the features "why I should" and "why I shouldn't" I have a couple of imports and have always had PPI's done and have never had any nasty surprises. Mine are in fantastic condition for age and are running beautifully. There are some European cars to steer away from as although they look the same as Aussie delivered the internals and spare parts are not. However Porsche is not one of them. Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Dave.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by ebs
...Would you consider a car with NO service history? Thanks in advace.
Sure I would. That's the point of a PPI, but make sure it's a thorough one. Some mechanics just kick the tires, but on something like this, I would be very thorough. For example, drain the fluids and have them sent to an analysis shop. Perform a leakdown test. These are things that don't have to be done with a car that contains an excellent history (although it should still be done), but on a car with no history, I would be as thorough as can be.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Bob S
Instructor

As long as you get a GOOD PPI, and the mechanic doing it is not involved with the sale, It wouldn't stop me from buy it without and previous records available.....
Old 02-03-2008, 03:29 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Yes. I'd say, go for it.

I bought my SC with "little history" ... from a mechanic. I purchased a PPI prior to buying the car, and discovered many good things about the car (like: rebuilt 1985 915 trans in the '83 SC. NICE!). The PPI was three pages long and included everything from checking the paint for originality (it was in fact re-sprayed) to engine compression (no leak-down required since the compression was as high as the day it was sold), to reviewing the size and condition of the torsion bars/shocks/bushings, etc.

Long story short: a good PPI can be as good as a thick pile of receipts, and you should get a PPI regardless of the number of receipts.

The 1980's series Carrera was one of the strongest and best built Porsches ever made, IMHO. Having owned P-car water-pumpers, you'll be amazed at how little the 911's require in maintenance, repairs, and time in the garage. For most 911SC/911 Carrera's it's fuel, oil/ tune-up ... and DRIVE!

Now, if you can just learn not to turn the wipers on when you want to use the turn-signals.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto above advice on getting a PPI. Also who is the seller? Any reason to believe (s)he is reputable?
These cars are robust, but not totally without issues and repairs are expensive (ask me how I know!)
Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

i bought mine without any history. you just have to do a little detective work before hand. Also remember a couple of other things.

Service histories, although they provide insight do not offer guarentees.
PPIs. The more thorough the better and compresion and leakdown will tell you lots.

PS I bought mine without a PPI or service history but the investment was not large. Once I new all the head studs were intact I felt I could pretty well handle anything else.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Does Australia require the conversion to RHD? If so, what does that entail? I've heard of "firewall forward" chop and weld jobs for front engine cars.

Might not cause a noticeable problem for handling, in something like a mazda, but a Porsche?

Oh, sorry, I know you guys consider some mazdas to be sports cars, down there. ;-)

Brent
Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 AM
ebs
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies.

Witchdoctor, I have a Mazda, and its not a sports car! No conversion required depending on age and the particular state within Australia the car is to be registered in. In this case, the car can stay left hand drive. I wouldn't butcher any car with a steering conversion!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Phew!

I hope you get something nice, and share pictures with us all.

Good luck

Brenton

Quick Reply: Buying Carrera 3.2 Without History - Any Thoughts?