Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

suspension, alignment and such....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question suspension, alignment and such....

long story short.
Stock 84 Carrera. Original suspension, all factory wheels and shocks, etc. Probably still has the original ball-joints!

Performed a 4-wheel alignment @ a reputible shop. They told me that I was out of adjustment on the camber. He recommended some kit for Bilstein to fix the problem.

I know I need new shocks (inserts) and possibly struts (housings).

Here's the question:
If I have to change out the entire unit (inserts and housings) what other options are appropriate (Bilstein, Boge, Koni)?

I don't track the car but I drive it with spirit so mildly upgrading to something better than OEM replacements isn't out of the question. I'm not interested in adding another level of performance that isn't necessary.
+++
Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Dan:

Hopefully, the shop was more explict about the "camber" problem as there are several variables at work here. Did they tell if it was in the front or the rear???

If the struts are bent from an accident and thats not uncommon at all, you will need new strut housings to fix the problem, correctly. You didn't say how many miles are on your car and that information is a critical part of the best solution for you.

So,......to best offer some constructive suggestions, I would need to know:

1) Precisely which end of the car has the camber issue?

2) How many miles on your car?

3) What suspension items do you currently have,..Boge or Bilstein?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Sorry Steve, I meant to be more specific. I seem to have missed a few things;

107K miles
Front end has the camber issue, they appear to be Bilstein (green housing with a pin @ the bottom)

I think I may have assumed that if I had to replace ALL of it, whatever type is there now is immaterial.
+++
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
Sorry Steve, I meant to be more specific. I seem to have missed a few things;

107K miles
Front end has the camber issue, they appear to be Bilstein (green housing with a pin @ the bottom)

I think I may have assumed that if I had to replace ALL of it, whatever type is there now is immaterial.
+++
Hi Dan,

Ahhh,..thats MUCH better,... I have an "Admin" message on the 993 forum about including info in one's initial posts and I'll see if I can get Mr. Dunkel to put that here, as well. It will really help people such as myself and Pete who endeavor to assist,...

Sounds like you have a bent strut and it needs replacement. If its confined to one side, all you would need is a new Bilstein strut on that side only but I usually replace them in pairs since the tube bushings wear out and create "variable camber". These things come with new HD inserts, too.

Hope this helps,
Old 02-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Thanks Steve, that's in line with what I had already been told and suspected on my own.
The real question is this:
Why the hell does THIS model of Porsche front suspension have to be nearly the most expensive of several newer model that cover fewer years?

Aside from a Bilstein replacement strut (or 2!) are there other options that might cost less and/or utilize newer technology?
+++

Last edited by Dan Cobb; 02-02-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
The real question is this:
Why the hell does THIS model of Porsche front suspension have to be nearly the most expensive of several newer model that cover fewer years?

Aside from a Bilstein replacement strut (or 2!) are there other options that might cost less and/or utilize newer technology?
+++
Those are the most complex struts to build due to the cost of the spindle forging. Don't forget, these cars are LONG out of production and they don't make many of these now. Component costs get amortized over the production run and if its relatively small, each one is proportionatly more expensive.
These basically cover '69 to '89 so that ain't bad,...

Boge's might be cheaper (I don't know as we never use them) but Koni's are higher than Bilsteins and IMHO, they do not have as good a warranty. I am not aware of anything else that fits these cars.

This is all part of ownership and nobody said these cars are inexpensive to repair or maintain,...
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Clearly true. Nobody ever said they were easy to repair or maintain either!
I guess that's my condition. They have become 'part of the list' then.
+++
Old 02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

-what about a nice car that was hit in the rear? it should have good fronts...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Good point Randy! I hadn't honestly considered a used strut w/ new insert b/c i was a bit worried about getting another problem.
+++
Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan, "while you're in there" is a good time to refresh some of the surrounding componants. It sounds to me that the alignment is the most expensive part of any frontal rebuild. I'd look at tie rods, bushings, and even think about some of the rear suspention "while you're in there"....I am planning out a $2,000 purchase so I only have to do it once.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

ouch. That 2 grand won't go nearly far enough if you fnd a bent strut!
My plan is to run with it the way it is until I need to do another alignment. The tech said he got it really close, and since I don't track the car, I'll bet it will be fine enough to drive this way until something else needs adjustment or replacement (i.e. tires, brakes, etc.) then I'll do it all at once as you recommend.
I hadn't thought of a used strut, so I was looking at nearly $1K for just replacement struts! That bugged me.
+++

Quick Reply: suspension, alignment and such....