Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying my first Porsche, it's been an adventure to be sure (long) ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Buying my first Porsche, it's been an adventure to be sure (long) ...

In late October, I started searching for a 3.2 911 and found a ven blu cab that eventually validated all the advice out there to get a good PPI. After an unsuccessful Ebay auction, I see now on the dealer's web site that it has actually sold (probably should have negotiated him down harder). After trading hundreds of e-mails with dealers (mostly scumbags) and private sellers, and even taking a wimsical foray into 968 and 964 land, I started talking to a guy about his black '89 cab.

Many of you know that days before the scheduled PPI (#2), I uncovered an '88 Targa with 37k miles right down the street from my office. I decided to move forward with PPI #2 and ultimately agreed to a price on the black cab. After getting two $1,100 shipping quotes, I just booked a $100 one-way plane ticket to go pick it up on Dec 15 (pray for no snow ). This weekend, the Targa was shown, and the owner told me that money would change hands early this week. End of story, right? Wrong.

I just got an e-mail from Mr. Targa saying the car might still be available. I've been trying to talk a friend into buying it with me, assuming we can get a good price. That way, we could decide which of our then 3 911's to let go based on our driving experiences with the cars. Have I lost it? I've got the sickness. Somebody tie me down or talk me out of it!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Boca Porsche
Advanced

OK YOU SICK THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!! This week i purchased a '88 Coupe from The Stable in Gladstone, NJ. I have not seen the car. However, a friend who is a DE instructor with PCA and Precision Motorsports have gone through the car on a PPI and told me without questions to buy it. It goes against my better judgement to buy a car sight unseen (except pictures). However, Will at Precision, and my friend are so enthusiastic about the car, I went for it. I understand your sickness, being a concours judge for DeLorean and Rolls-Royce, I will tell you that when you drive a car for a little while, you will know if its right for you. I think in your case with two good cars, one will talk to you and one wont. I cant talk you out of it, but I am confident you will end up with one not two.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:50 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is intrinsic risk in purchasing cars just to determine if you are going to keep one, then turning around to sell, trying to avoid taking a loss. If you can bear that risk, no problem.
Right now, I have four Porsches (none newer than my '87 911). My (older & wiser) brother has two. Two of my best friends have six & four, respectively. The main problem I see in circumstances such as yours is that one may too-quickly exhaust the financial &/or emotional capacity to acquire more - tragic! Perhaps try to spread things out over time a bit. A secondary issue is that of staying in one's comfort zone in terms of how many are in running condition at any one time - some people can tolerate 0%, others must be at 100% (or they get weird & buy another... hopefully running...). No one can make these assessments for you, so establishing your own goals & time horizon early in the process might be advisable...or you can approach it like most of us have.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

was the '89 a 911 or a 964? I think I remember it to be a 964. If it were a 911 cab, I vote for it, if not it's a toss up that leans to the targa. You really have a mess on your hands....

can you repost the pictures or remind us where to find them shy of searching all 159 of your posts.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Originally Posted by douglas bray
can you repost the pictures or remind us where to find them shy of searching all 159 of your posts.
Of course. I did look briefly at a 964 until a Rennlister told me he went to see it and it had been badly repainted and had questionable mileage. I'm buying the '89 911 cab, and I'll get the polished 6&8/16 Fuchs instead of the fancy wheels. Considering by the Targa also:

Last edited by LUCKe27; 12-04-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:15 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by ked
There is intrinsic risk in purchasing cars just to determine if you are going to keep one, then turning around to sell, trying to avoid taking a loss. If you can bear that risk, no problem.
Right now, I have four Porsches (none newer than my '87 911). My (older & wiser) brother has two. Two of my best friends have six & four, respectively. The main problem I see in circumstances such as yours is that one may too-quickly exhaust the financial &/or emotional capacity to acquire more - tragic! Perhaps try to spread things out over time a bit. A secondary issue is that of staying in one's comfort zone in terms of how many are in running condition at any one time - some people can tolerate 0%, others must be at 100% (or they get weird & buy another... hopefully running...). No one can make these assessments for you, so establishing your own goals & time horizon early in the process might be advisable...or you can approach it like most of us have.
Financially, I can handle the risk. Handling the risk with my wife ; less certain. I was trying convince my close friend with an '86 cab to split the Targa with me ... to spread out the financial and spousal risk.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LUCKe27
Of course. I did look briefly at a 964 until a Rennlister told me he went to see it and it had been badly repainted and had questionable mileage. I'm buying the '89 911 cab, and I'll get the polished 6&8/16 Fuchs instead of the fancy wheels. Considering by the Targa also:
Always liked the cab better -- enjoy it!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

can't believe i'm sayin this but those wheels actually look pretty good......

that car always put that red/white 964 to shame
Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

You can have those wheels if you want them. He's selling them for $2k. I prefer the Fuchs.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
OttawaDave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I really do not like cabs all that much (though admittedly I've never driven one), but I think you've made the right choice with that 89. It looks really nice. Had I stumbled upon that one you've made the deal on, I could have been persuaded that a cab was for me!!

I also am from the "nothing looks as good as Fuchs on these cars" camp, but those wheels look pretty awesome. Maybe some black-centred version of that would be a good upgrade from my 15" Fuchs....hmmmm......

Whatever you do, good luck - looks like you've got good specimens to choose from. And have a great time on the 15th, though I'm nervous for your weather. It's been snowing here for the last 3 days (and all the way across the top end of North America from what I hear) and we have more than a foot of the white stuff hanging around. Pray to the weather-Gods for clear skies, cold temps and dry roads

Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Originally Posted by OttawaDave
Pray to the weather-Gods for clear skies, cold temps and dry roads

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks, Dave. I'm a bit antsy about the weather conditions too, but if I have to cancel my flight and wait another week to ten days , I'll survive.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Dang. That black one gives me wood.
And I hate cabs...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! That's a beauty!

I sent you a PM BTW.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Here's the Fuchs -- these wheels make me tingly in places they don't like to talk about at tea parties ($1 to Nicholson).

Old 12-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you. I prefer the fuchs. they are going to look great on the car

Quick Reply: Buying my first Porsche, it's been an adventure to be sure (long) ...