Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need help,SC totalled,searching recent sale prices

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_83SC
My pristine 1983 911SC has been totalled. The owner of the body shop indicates that it is not repairable due to the severity of the impact. Harley rider hit me head on after losing control and laying it down in my path. He was killed instantly.

I am shaken but ok. These cars are built like tanks. I am thankful to be alive and very proud to have loved and invested in what was my 2nd Porsche. I pray there will be a third.

The adjuster is visiting tomorrow and I can already tell that he'll be trying to screw me.

68,000 miles, immaculate inside and out. I paid $20k for it 2.5 years ago. I do have the Excellence market update for 74-89 911s (August 2007 issue).

I am looking for anyone that can help me with data from recent sales of '83 (or perhaps earlier than '83 if it will help) 911SCs that changed hands.

THANK YOU everyone in advance, please email dabishop2@earthlink.net if you can help, I'll be tracking the inbox more carefully than the forum.
I sold my 3.2 Carrera for a Harley, but this accident wasn't me, thank God. I can't go 1 week on the Harley forum without hearing about how someone lost their life. I really wish these bikes were safer.

For the Porsche to be totaled, I would expect that the Harley rider might have been going quite fast. I wouldn't expect the 700-900lb Harley to total a 911 unless speed was great. Do you have any idea why the Harley rider lost control? It's sad to hear about the loss of someone's life when you are involved. I would be shaken up a bit too, but definately wouldn't be blaming myself.

Regarding the value of the car: You should always get at least what you paid for it. The 3.2 prices are stable. Try not to get much more than that, unless you feel like you paid much less than the car is actually worth. In the end, I hope you will be treated fairly and you can buy your next Porsche.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most adjusters will try and ignore any upgrades/mods and just deal from "Bluebook" as a going in offer. Their job is to save the insurance company money. Fair and reasonable don't enter into it until they understand they are dealing with someone who's done his/her homework and has a real basis for a different value. Good luck to you in all of this.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Murphy,
I ride a 2007 Ultra Classic. In fact the Florida weather's been so great the 930 has been sitting in the garage and I've been riding the bike to and from work. My biggest observation here in the Orlando area is that drivers are in such a rush to get wherever it is they think they're going, and so distracted by "technologies" in the car (ie. Cell phones, iPods, and whatever) they aren't looking out for a bike. We're almost invisible to them. Most of the fatalities I have seen here involve the old "left hand turn into the path of the biker they didn't see".

Now that's not to say we aren't at fault a lot too. Beer and bikes have always seemed to go together since they were invented. Younger people, many with little or no experience riding a high-powered sport bike, are taking needless risks on the roads and, the new bikes have so many whistles and bells, like stereo, GPS, and etc, we can be distracted too.

All we can do is try and ride defensively and like racing, we have to stay focused on the task at hand. I love riding my bike, but I'm damned careful on it too.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:37 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently bought a '78 SC for $21k. It's in very good shape inside and out and has about 30k mi. Have spent about another $k getting details fixed up. You can look at the Sports Car Market valuation book for 2007. I think the SC's range from about $12k for good to $20k for the best. Sorry to hear about the accident. As a neurosurgeon I've seen the aftermath of wrecks like that way too many times.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Rotten Robby
Racer

It is certainly tragic that a person has lost his life. That said, you are in an adversarial relationship with the insurance company not the poor man who lost his life.
Insurance companies just want to settle, and quick. I paid 21,700 for my 84 with similar miles. It is perfect. I have had it appraised at 28,000.
You are probably in the ballpark at 21,000 though you have to consider it is an SC and mine is a Carrera when you compare.
I am very sorry you had to go through this terrible experience. My prayers for the family of the MC rider...
Rob
Old 11-15-2007, 09:43 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've retained an attorney to go back to them after what I am sure will be a lowball offer.
I'm trying to find the name of the trust for the rider's 6 year old son so I can make an anonymous donation.

it wouldn't let me put in some space to allow you to scroll (or not)
Attached Images     
Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

wow...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 492 Posts

Your lucky to alive......
Old 11-15-2007, 10:58 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
Your lucky to alive......
Most definitely.....wow.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 PM
The Donkey
Intermediate

I can't even imagine....I totalled my 85 Carrera Targa into a tree at about 90mph a year or so ago and walked away without a scratch...I always just thought that I was lucky (which I was) due to angles and positioning but it is obvious that these cars are built extremely well..You must be going through an awful lot..Our thoughts are with you and your family..I know that shook me up and I still have nightmares since it was me and my brother in law in the car..That is tough to look at..I can only envision the series of events that you must be seeing in your head right now, over and over..hang in there..don't stress over the adjuster..i went through the same thing..had it gone a different way you wouldn't even be talking to an adjuster. You are a lucky man.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:32 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DB_NC_83SC
I've retained an attorney to go back to them after what I am sure will be a lowball offer.
I'm trying to find the name of the trust for the rider's 6 year old son so I can make an anonymous donation...
Man, what an impact. The first is probably a "good idea", and the second indicates what kind of a person you are, even though you should feel no obligation whatsoever to do that. Have you considered "buying" the totalled car back (I don't know your mileage, condition, etc.), and making "lemonade out of lemons"...just a thought. You're very lucky in spite of the totalled car...good luck.

ps: Murphy, I rarely ride my Harley anymore (traffic congestion)...it's not the bikes that are "unsafe", it's the inattentive idiots you're sharing the road with. I don't even like to have my 911 in traffic, and save both for the "twisty back roads" most of the time.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

You should'nt worry too much about the insurance yet. Most insurance companies DO NOT use ONLY a blue book as a tool for payouts, they will do a market analysis of similiar vehicles in you area and payout accordingly. A few years ago a BMW M3 i owned was stolen, the payout was was far better than any blue book I could find.

Good luck

Thank God you're safe.

RIP to the other guy.

Rey
Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Sorry your baby got totaled. Hope you get well compensated for its true worth.
As far as the motorcycle guy...sorry he lost his life, but 90% of the guys on bikes that I see have no respect for other drivers on the road. Most deserve to crash...perhaps not the HD drivers as much but the sport bike kids all need to crash.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
...perhaps not the HD drivers as much but the sport bike kids all need to crash.
I knicknamed them "splat" several years ago...it's just a matter of time for many if they ride much at all.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 11-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by KC911
I knicknamed them "splat" several years ago...it's just a matter of time for many if they ride much at all.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Well, you're supposed to dress as if you are going to fall, not in case you fall off the bike. Because if you hold the logic that I do, which is "it will probably happen," instead of "it might happen," then you have to decide what kind of safety gear you want to be wearing when you do fall. And that's why I try to dress in full protection.

Also, falling off the bike at 50 or 60 mph or hitting a car at an intersection around the city is different than a head-on collision. Not much chance to survive in the head-on...

I would still like to know how fast the Harley guy was going to produce a 911 as damaged as I'm seeing in the pictures.

Quick Reply: I need help,SC totalled,searching recent sale prices