Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Does this sound fishy to anyone on the board? I want to be sure ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:32 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound fishy to anyone on the board? I want to be sure ...

I'm not walking into a train wreck. Many thanks to all the folks here.

Hi ,
I'm the owner of the 19XX Porsche 911 on which you've recently show interest. The car is in excellent shape and in perfect running condition and it has a clean title. I am located in Huntsville Texas now and the car will be shipped from here.The price for the car is $XX,000 with shipping and handling included in price.The reason that the car is at this price is that i need money urgently.Shipping will be done via DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) and it will take no more then 4-5 days top (depending on your exact location).
The transaction will be made through WorldPay for our own protection. You will have 5 days to inspect and test drive it upon arrival with no obligation to buy. Should the car not be exactly as described, you can cancel the deal, and get a full refund of your money. If you wish to go on, please get back to me and let know so we can make the deal.
Sincerely,
Old 11-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sound like a Victory side business. Or a scam. Or a Victory scam side business. Or a scam disquised as a Victory business. Or a side business disquised as a scam that is business as usual for Victory.

That is a clasic offshore scam, not necessarily Victory....but nun the less, a scam.....
Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Sound like a Victory side business. Or a scam. Or a Victory scam side business. Or a scam disquised as a Victory business. Or a side business disquised as a scam that is business as usual for Victory.

That is a clasic offshore scam, not necessarily Victory....but nun the less, a scam.....
Douglas! Happy Sunday, my friend. This, of course, sounded fishy from the word "go", but I tend to assume the best about people, which can be very dangerous when searching for a quality 20 yr old car .
Old 11-11-2007, 04:07 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

No specifics on the car, sounds exactly like the scam inquiries you receive when selling. I would turn and run and not look back....but that's just me. I also would never buy a car without physically touching and hopefully driving it.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:09 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DANGER, WILL ROBINSON..... DANGER!!!!

THIS IS A SCAM!! I had a friend who had the same offer made to her. We checked into it. ABSOLUTE 100% ripoff.

Stop writing to this person. Get out now. If you can, report this scam to the proper authorities (whatever website you're dealing with).
Old 11-11-2007, 04:10 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
THIS IS A SCAM!! I had a friend who had the same offer made to her. We checked into it. ABSOLUTE 100% ripoff.

Stop writing to this person. Get out now. If you can, report this scam to the proper authorities (whatever website you're dealing with).
Thought so....
Old 11-11-2007, 04:19 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Originally Posted by 911vet

I figured as much, but it's nice to have a place to bounce these things around. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:53 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When these people tried to scam my friend, we found out the company that supposedly held the money in escrow was phoney. Apparently the funds went directly into the account of the scammer. The car was advertised as being in Florida. We ran a check and found it at a dealership in another state. Titled to the dealership, not the "seller."

The whole thing seemed really ridiculous. What seller would be stupid enough to pay shipping on a car and then let the potential buyer just say "no thanks." Would you?

Stay calm and focused. Don't fall for too-good-to-be-true. You'll find the right car at the right price. You have time. They aren't disappearing. But gasoline is, so like I said... don't hurry, but don't wait
Old 11-11-2007, 07:31 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmmmm, sounds like a similar reply I got once.

"Hello, I am the owner of the 1986 Porsche 911 2 Dr Carrera that you have asked about. The car was purchased new and I am the original owner. Has always been very well maintained and garaged with very little use. The car is located in Miami(Florida) US with me and will be shipped from the Miami on my expense. The car is in excellent condition. I have the clear title in hand, the manual and all the documents. The total price includes shipping. We will make the deal through SafePay Solutions so we can be both protected and insured. I am waiting for your response with any questions you may have.
God Bless You!"
Old 11-11-2007, 07:37 PM
911 Wail Tale
Advanced

Yes, run away!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you get one of these and wish to consider proceeding (against your better judgement & everyone's advice), tell the seller you want to see & drive the car in person & that you will bring cash to consumate the deal upon satisfaction w/ the car's operation - cash on the barrelhead / real time / face-to-face. you'll know whacha got when they balk.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:18 PM
craiglwakefield
Advanced

I received a offer to BUY my 914 that had very similar language. Big time rip-off. Whether buying or selling you must keep your feelers out. No bad vibes

Last edited by craiglwakefield; 11-30-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM
madmmac
Instructor

I am sure it is a scam, but tell them you are going to fly in to inspect the car and want to know where to meet them....See what you get, they will probably say the car has already sold.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:50 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

Never offer to show up with cash.

Remember also that S. FL is where they had to change rental car tags because so many tourists were getting bumped and rolled, sometimes even killed.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't suggest showing up w/ cash, I suggest testing a suspicious seller by the OFFER to close upon inspection / driving, in person, w/ cash, IF you want to pursue the purchase. This distinction must be clear in your mind, & will eliminate 99.9% scammers then & there. If they accept, then you can plot your next move - not necessarily to show up w/ cash (& guards)! One tactic at that point is to have the seller take the car to a shop local to him (of your choice) for inspection. You might even just show up there to look at the car, w/o telling the seller in advance. There are many ways to manage risk if one really wants to proceed... caveat emptor!

Quick Reply: Does this sound fishy to anyone on the board? I want to be sure ...