Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Jitters
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Smoke

Hi, I'm new here. Recently, I replaced the turbo in my 88 930 turbo. I also switched to a synthetic motor oil. I recently noticed smoke coming from the oil filler/tube. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust. I also noticed quite a bit of pressure coming from the oil filler/tube as well. There is also a noticible increase in oil consumption as well.

From my limited knowledge regarding these fabulous automobiles, I would suspect that it appears to be the rings. Prior to the turbo install and oil change this was not an issue. The car currenlty has 77K miles on it. Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, what was the fix for it.

Thanks,

Todd

Last edited by Jitters; 11-08-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: delete errors
Old 11-08-2007, 05:35 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 744 Likes on 522 Posts

Be sure that you did not over fill the tank with oil as this will lead to false oil consumption as the extra oil burns off. Half the distance between the 2 notches on the dip stick with the engine running ( idle speed) and at normal operating temp ( 180) deg, car on level ground is normal for a 911 / 930 engine. If your valve guides or rings were bad there would be smoke from the exh during normal driving. The seal on the (new/ rebuilt) turbo that was installed could also be the source of oil consumption.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Jitters
Racer

Hey Spanky,

Thanks for the feedback. I definately agree with you regarding the rings and valve seals. That's been my experience with other cars that I've owned.

As far as the current oil capacity. I've been checking the oil prior to start up. Apparently, based on your recommendations as well as others that I've come across on the various forums. The appropriate oil level is 1/2 way between the marks on the dip stick and to check with engine at NOT.

I"ve also noticed that the car has started to misfire while driving. Curriosly enough, it doesn't due it until the engine heats up. I currently have an Air Fuel Ratio meter in the car and the meter shows that the car is running extremely lean when it starts to misfire. Could this be a bad fuel filter? I've owned the car approximately 9 months and have not done much to it other than change the oil and plugs. I've put just around 15K miles on it since I've owned it. The car had 62K miles when I purchased it and ran like a dream...

What I may possibly do is take it to a local shop that a friend recommended to get a professional diagnosis prior to trying to attempt to do anything furhter to the car...

Well, thanks again for your feedback and have a great weekend.

Todd
Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jitters, you are surrounded. How are you? I'm just up the road and have been the proud owner of my 911 for 10 months. We have lots of speed shops around for your car, but I wouldn't panic yet. My neighbor works at 911 design and is always willing to help out. Precision Motion is also a great shop. Try lowering the oil level first if that is too high. anyway why don't you have PM?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:09 AM
Jitters
Racer

Hey Doug!

One of my buddies takes his 996 to 911 Design. He loves them. I'm actually thinking about taking mine over to them so that they can take a look at it.

What is a PM?

Todd
Old 11-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Todd, PM is a Private Messages like Email, but here on rennlist. Call me in the morning. I left my phone in the car, but I'll get it when I get up. 951 205 6158 I'm right off the 210 at Carnelian. You should see the 935 cab just a down the street and the SC that Rob has. He's the kid that works at 911 Design. His dad drives a 987 and gave him the SC when he was 14. Bad dad. Bad!
Old 11-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Jitters
Racer

Hey Doug,

Will do...

I checked and I do have the PM feature enabled. Not sure why its not working. Oh well.

I'll give you a call tomorrow sometime. I've got to assist with a job fair tomorrow morning so it will probably be sometime in the afternoon before I can call.

Take care...

Todd
Old 11-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I think your PM is working now. I best get some rest. I have a bad headache. (do you know how fun it was to be chasing someone at 90+ dodging the chino cows with a 911 opperator on the line?)
Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Jitters
Racer

Man I'm jeolous...I would have loved to be in your shoes...I'll take any opportunity to go fast...love speed...

TK

Quick Reply: Engine Smoke