Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

the 1985 window relay mystery continues

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:23 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the 1985 window relay mystery continues

After losing power to my windows and discovering no power from the black wire on fuse 1 (i jumped it and now have windows working) I went looking for my relay. Looking at the fuse box cover shows #1 and #3 relay holes empty and it shows no widow relay on it. The third hole or second relay should be my power window relay .This is totally different from any wiring diagrams either from the 85 set up or the 86 on, which has the relay behind the instruments. Does anyone have any idea where my relay could be? The fuse cover has part #911 612 161 06. Could they have had a short period of production in between the two setups without a relay? Its a factory widebody but I dont suppose that would make any difference to the wiring. By jumping power to the fuse and bypassing the relay (wherever it is?)have I created any risky electrical problems? Thanks Doug
Old 11-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug: SCs used a conventional, multi-purpose relay in position #5 on the front fuse box (counting from the battery). I'm not sure what happened in '84, but sometime during '84 production (which includes early '85s) a switch was made to an "intelligent" relay, one that, I think, allowed use of the windows after the engine was shut off, but before a door was opened. When the factory re-engineered the relay they moved it to behind the left instruments. It looks square from the top, and rectangular from the side, and it might carry a 944 part number. I urge you to call your P-car dealer and have them look up the part for you.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:28 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pete My manual shows the fifth from the front being the window relay but my car has an empty space there and the fuse lid shows it as empty with no other references to the window relay but its not behind the instruments. I only have two tall relays there and a short round one towards the passanger side beside them. The 86 shows three tall ones? The dealer told me its beside the fuses , which it isnt and the fuse box lid cover shows none? Its working now with a jump wire at where the black one enters the #1 fuse but its probably the relay , If I could find it?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:35 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

do some searching on convenience relay

the only reason I say this is a while ago there was a slant nose and he had some issues like that.

IF you windows ever worked after you turned the key off, but before you opened the door then it's a fact you have the relay Pete is talking about. It almost has to be behind the gauges.
hope you find it

Quick Reply: the 1985 window relay mystery continues