Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'73 911E: Lose the Sepia Brown or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 PM
justacoupe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '73 911E: Lose the Sepia Brown or Not?

Right now, I'm working on restoring our 356C Coupe, which we've owned since 1975. Although I had once considered a change of the original paint color (Irish Green), prices for restored C coupes have been climbing, and we decided to stick with the original paint.

Now for the 911 content: we are original owners of a '73 911E, 65,000 miles. It is my next project. The car is all original and unmolested as it sits, but it has been sitting for a long time (e.g. since 1982, inside heated storage). So, lots of mechanical work to be done. Although the paint is original, it is showing its age and we'd like to repaint.

There's one "big" issue with the car: it is Sepia Brown. Sure, it is a fairly "rare" color for early 911's, but there's a good reason for that. Sepia Brown is "butt ugly" to most people and some describe it as "baby poop" brown. Can't say I can argue with them, although I've grown accustomed to it more or less.

So, for all these years, thinking about finally restoring her once I retired (which I just did), I've always assumed I'd change the color to something more attractive: maybe silver or some other color. And, until recently, I always felt that going to a more popular color would actually enhance the value of the car since the original color is so unpopular.

So, what happens? People start paying real money for these early cars and all of a sudden I'm thinking I "need" to stick with the original. So, what I'd like some input on is this: is sticking to the original color that important as far as resale goes? Or, since original in this case is Sepia Brown, is this an exception and another color would still be a plus?

Bill
Grand Rapids, MI
Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, I'd drive a brown 911. I think it would be cool, though you are right that the brown colored cars [356s as well] seem to suffer in that color.

I'm all for originality when you can keep it, but if you're putting a top notch paint job [basically frame off I'm talking here], I'd probably change the color--just make sure you make it an interesting period color instead of red, silver, or black if you decide to change it.

My $.02
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

keep it stock
Old 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

It's your car, paint it any color you want except pink !

John
Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were it my car, I would keep it brown. If I were buying one, I'd pay more for an original color car. I can't speak for anyone else.

Brett
Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it stock
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM
racer
Drifting

Keep it brown for originality an potential value.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Aldo
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to wonder if the premium someone might pay for the car in its original color might be equalled or bettered by what someone else would pay for it in a more desirable color.
I say go withthe color YOU like best. Unless it were a very rare model, it which case you have to keep it original.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:05 AM
justacoupe
Advanced

Thanks to all of you for your input. We are probably going to keep it Sepia Brown after all. Posted the same question on Pelican and got an overwhelming "keep it stock." Picture of the car is posted here (actual color is a bit darker than this pic shows... original paint).
Thanks!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 AM
The Donkey
Intermediate

I actually really like that color. It is very period correct. The older 911's look good in flat colors.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

PAINT IT TO SILVER???

Are you nuts?

O.K., it's your car so you can do whatever you want.

You'll get more attention in brown than you ever will in silver. My brown car (below) gets more attention than I ever thought. Everyone has seen a guards red or silver 911. Not many people have seen Sepia Brown in person. It's a fantastic color that looks even better in low light levels. It will really grow on you if you give it some time. I used to hate brown cars. Now it's one of my favorite colors.

Please take it to a good detailer first before you start painting. Lots of paint can be brought back and these cars are only original once. Since the market is so red hot on these pre impact bumper cars, having one with it's original paint, even with flaws, will be worth quite a bit more than "just another car with a repaint".

Here's a before and after shot of my baby poop brown car that I brought back from the dead with just 3M Hand Glaze, 3M Rubbing Compound and layers of wax.

Before I bought it (and before the rim change):

Right after delivery with just a wash job:

Here's the after:

It took a bit of time to rub this paint out and it still requires attention, but the car still carries it's original paint on most of the body panels. That is worth a TON (of money!) on early cars. I urge you to see a good detailer before repainting this car.

Jay
90 964
84 3.2

Last edited by Jay H; 11-10-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Sepia brown is just fine! All we need is another SILVER 911!! And the posting just prior to this is not SEPIA, but COCKNEY or chocolate BROWN. (I ordered a 77 in that color). I liked it. It was rare.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

I had a 73.5T that was Sepia and loved every minute of it - keep it stock IMO.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Sepia brown is just fine! All we need is another SILVER 911!! And the posting just prior to this is not SEPIA, but COCKNEY or chocolate BROWN. (I ordered a 77 in that color). I liked it. It was rare.
If you are referring to my car, it was a L999 car, so we'll never be sure exactly what it is...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM
ste993
Pro

Originally Posted by Aldo
I have to wonder if the premium someone might pay for the car in its original color might be equalled or bettered by what someone else would pay for it in a more desirable color.
I say go withthe color YOU like best. Unless it were a very rare model, it which case you have to keep it original.
+1

Another thing to consider regarding resale value is whether you are actually thinking about parting with it. Sounds like you've had the car for a considerable amount of time and probably aren't going to sell any time soon. If I was in your position and wanted to restore this car to keep and drive I would paint it my absolute favourite colour and enjoy it for myself. My .02c

Quick Reply: '73 911E: Lose the Sepia Brown or Not?