Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 shopper looking for experienced advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 shopper looking for experienced advice

I'm shopping for my first 911 and have been focusing on the '87 - '89 models. I've had some people tell me to buy the newest 911 I can afford and other tell me to focus on the '87 - '89 due to the durability of the engines. While I'm sure to get various opinions, I would love to get some advice from the forum. I'm looking to spend $25,000 or less and plan to drive the car a couple of times during the week (18 mile round trip commute) and on the weekends. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I am not too fond of the 964s, and you wouldn't be able to get a nice 993 with only 25K, you would have to settle for one with high mileage. I am selling my 87 Carrera and it has a very good reputation....just ask anyone on this site. Here is a link to the eBay auction and the autotrader ad. The eBay auction has a much more clear description. Check it out, if you think it looks nice I will negotiate the price since you will want 1-2 thousand dollars left over after you buy any 911 in the case of any unexpected repairs that may arise after the first year.

eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...182286308&rd=1

Autotrader: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...reset_crumbs=y
Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Peter MM
Intermediate

I will also take this opportunity to mention my '88 Cabriolet for sale. It is listed in the classified section as well as on autotrader. Please let me know if you would like additional pics or info. If you are nearby please stop by for a look.
Cheers, Peter
Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

2nd the "have a few bucks handy" fund suggestion.

I have an '84 Cab which I drive daily (with the top down) whenever it's not slated to rain that day. My commute's about 16 miles each way, half highway, half local. There is some concern about running the car often without letting it get to temp - how long time-wise is your commute? At around 25-30 minutes, I feel mine gets well up to temp whenever I'm driving her to work.

As for reliability, they're fantastic. I lost the alternator a few years back, and aside from that & the clutch cable slipping out of the bracket (my own fault after replacing the helper spring), she's not left me stranded needing a tow. There were a few things that required some attention quickly (not more than a few hundred for sensors, etc.), and the alternator / battery was probably the largest unexpected repair cost, at close to $500 (I did the swap with info & hints from the List here, etc.).

I get around 20-21 around town / on it, and close to 27 on the highway for long steady trips. This is pretty much where my modded '91 Taurus SHO is, too, mileage-wise.

The WANT to do's are where the serious money seems to go once you own a 911. Yes, there is the top-end service, regular valve adjustments, etc., but if you get a good one, and you do your own minor services, you'll be in a good place.

Best of luck with your search, and if you post where you're from / area you'll be looking, I'm sure folks will come up with some hints on where to look / where not to look.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not only do we love our cars we love to shop when it's someone elses money. tell us where you are at geographicly and we can keep our eyes out. Every once in a while we see the $10,000 '88 911 add right below the $26,000 '88 911 add. You are shopping at the right time of year.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are u set on air/oil cooled 911?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Although I'm not 100% set on an '87 - '89 911, they seem to be close to my budget, and I like the look (cab or targa) and the engine quality (and G50 transmission) reputation. I live in suburban Atlanta and have seen cars on Autotrader from Montgomery and Birmingham, Alabama that I may look at. I've also seen an '89 blue cab in the Midwest that looks pretty good for the money as well (not quite as nice as Mr. Bray's). I've spent a lot of time shopping on the internet, but I haven't found many places other than Autotrader and Ebay that have any real inventory to speak of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I promise to join the site very soon.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try this site:

http://www.rallystuff.com/pcar_sources.html
Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Before you pull the trigger on anything, make sure you get a PRE Purchase Inspection (PPI) by a reputable shop.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Thanks for the rallystuff website. I'll keep looking until I find something (and I'll make sure to get a PPI).
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Not only do we love our cars we love to shop when it's someone elses money. tell us where you are at geographicly and we can keep our eyes out. Every once in a while we see the $10,000 '88 911 add right below the $26,000 '88 911 add. You are shopping at the right time of year.
Douglas, I'm looking at a blue cab, very similar to yours. Any chance I can e-mail you the pictures of the car and get your opinion? My e-mail address is luck_e_27@hotmail.com. Anyone else that would like to give their opinion, please shoot me an e-mail. I'd love to hear from you.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Check your e-mail or your PM's
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

BUY THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

WHERE you live has a lot to do with what you should be looking at so share that with us. For example, th older 911s that range from 87 to 89 are very fine but seriously lacking in the a/c department. Other than that they are quite nice autos. Aside from the usual "buy the newest one you can afford" consider buying the least messed with car you can find. Sadly, Porsche new car buyers (many of them) are obsessed with modifying them or "upgrading" them into something else. As such they essentially destroy the value of the car because future buyers have no clue what they have done unless they have meticulous notes and drawings or photos.

Second on the list is to buy something with a good papertrail. Generally most new car buyers have the $s to maintain them as they should be but if the car has passed through a number of owners you may find that the later owners have skipped some important maintenance jobs.

Finally, do not fall in love with the first or second one you see. Remember that Porsche built a lot of these cars and they're out there ready for the next owner. Have a friend who knows something about that range of 911s to look closely at the car. Once that person gives the nod then take it in for a Pre-Purchase Inspection, to get a better feel for what's inside the engine. Don't discount a car simply because of higher miles. Often times cars with lower miles weren't driven enough and other issues happen to them,--dried out seals, and rusted brakes and exhausts. With turbos it was very commonplace for wastegates to seize up because their timid drivers hardly drove them and got the moisture out of them before putting them away.

Good luck. Take your time.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

tell me, who doesn't want that car?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 911 shopper looking for experienced advice