Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 shopper looking for experienced advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really quite depressing, but the relatively low price had me wary. I'm a bit ticked at the dealer for not disclosing some of that stuff prior to me paying for a PPI, but I guess that's the car business. If you guys/gals can help me keep my eye out for a 911, I would appreciate it. My preference would be blue ... but definitely a cab ... preferably with less than 100,000 miles.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Perhaps the Sultan of Brunei will have pity on me and make me a fair deal on one of his 911's.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's step back, take a deep breath, and ask some of the pros a second oppinion on the PPI. Could we get the rusults looked over by some of the guys that have been involved in the cars forever. I'm not saying the guy that did the PPI doesn't know what he is doing, but he may see something as simple as "highbeams don't work" as a deal killer where as some rennlisters will see the same issue as "$130 and and 2 hours of quality time with my baby". Same guy may say "carpet in back is loose" and I would say "so what" It's all in how you look at it. My list of problems is a mile long on my baby, but she is what she is...Do you have a report in wrighting or an email?

Am I wrong here?
Where do you draw the line?
What gets a pass and what doesn't?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:34 AM
LUCKe27
Racer

I'm happy to do that. Do you think I should post that in this thread or another one. The guy I used runs a Porsche shop, has his own technical advice message board, etc. He offers full restoration services, upgrades for racers, etc. I'm pretty sure he's a pro.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your position a few months ago, but with less money to spend. I was looking at a maximum $20K. I considered 964s (especially C4s). I like the more "modern" 964s but after reading about some of the potential costs of ownership I decided maybe a 3.2 would be better for me. I live in Ohio and found a one-owner 87 Carrera Cabriolet in Atlanta. Luckily, Ryland Motorsports is there. He's a 20-yr Porsche mechanic who only works on VW/Audi/Porsche. He did a PPI and I bought the car for $16900. I stole it It had 113K miles but the PPI was stellar.

I've only had it a few months but it has been fantastic. Runs good. No major issues so far. I've run it hard and fast on club drives. Doing great!

Having said that... I put a few hundred in repairs at Ryland's before I bought it (tie rods and minor stuff). And I have over $600 in parts from Pelican and Automotion sitting in my basement waiting for me or a mechanic to install them. There will be another $600 in brakes soon. I know I'll be in for a few thousand in repairs/upgrades in no time.

Don't spend all you have! You will need money for repairs on a 20-yr old car regardless the PPI. Trust me.

I have a friend who bought an 89 C4 w/45K miles on it at the same time I bought my 87 Cab w/113K miles. He paid $24K. I paid $16K. We're both happy. But I think in some ways I'm happier I have to admit that if the right 964 came along, I'd ****** it up too. Though I think I'd still fear more repairs on more complicated systems.

Don't be afraid of the 87-89 cars. They are strong. You may end up having to replace bad valve guides, especially in an 87. So far so good with mine. No oil leaks either. Just make sure you get a PPI done. Including compression test. If you have any doubts about your PPI mechanic, I HIGHLY recommend Ryland. They were great.

I debated endlessly whether to get a Cab or a Coupe. Sure am glad I got the Cabriolet!
It's a blast. I led a drive of Roadsters (BMW Z3/Z4s, Miatas, Porsches) last weekend. There's nothing like top down driving.

I'm a newbie and I'm not trying to give much advice. Just letting you know that my 87 has turned out to be great so far. It is a source of tremendous joy in my life. So, whether you get a 3.2 or 964.... whether it's a coupe or a targa/cab.... whether it's blue, red, or purple!.... just get a 911

Shannon
Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S. Like another post said, there are a lot of them out there. You CAN and SHOULD wait on the right one. I almost bought an 87 cab that was local just because it was convenient. It was not nearly as nice as the one I ended up with. And the price was higher. I was very happy that I waited and found the one that I did. A gaggle of them came and went while I was searching. And some "got away" and I was bummed. Ultimately, I ended up with a great one -- better than any I had looked at.
Even though I had to drive from Ohio to Georgia to get it, it was worth it. In fact, what could be better than a road trip in your first 911? !!! Top down! WOO HOO!!!

Be patient. And how does that saying go?.... Don't hurry, but don't wait

Quick Reply: 911 shopper looking for experienced advice