Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cat's out of the bag now...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:50 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can it be a mistake? The guy took a roller and turned it into a servicable car. He already said he couldn't afford to buy a Porsche engine or service it. If it gets you from A to B with a smile on your face, you're doin' something right. Just my $.02. That and $5 will buy you an iced Mocha .
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

He could have fixed the car and sold it and then I am sure he could have come up with something even more creative now that he had a sizable budget. That is what I would have done if I were him and that was the case. That or spend all my money on lottery tickets.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, this is a project that blends a lot of different interests into one potent package.

Of course, I am also the kind of guy that thinks that Boxters rock, superchargers are cool, and 928s rule.

I am impressed by this much skill and enthusiasm. ENJOY !!!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
I do agree that you have done pretty good work. I think it is a mistake though. I think it would have indeed been easier and financially wise to have bought a 3.0 and put it in. Like you said with the Scooby engine, they sell for $900 and you only paid $450. I doubt you looked for a 911 engine. Calling the 3.0 unreliable in any way is also a mistake. The SC has been referred to as the nearly perfected aircooled Porsche. The reliability of the engine is part of this and is part of the reason that prices are low on these cars right now because there are still so many of them on the road. Bruce Anderson even wrote in his performance book that he nor another builder he new had ever rebuilt an SC engine because it had worn out. I bet you could find alot more high mileage 911sc than you could of your donor car. If this car was a 2.7, I may feel that it would have been a better idea since it makes a much bigger change than what you have done and with less too.

Having replaced the Porsche engine you would have found yourself with a $12,000 automobile. I think that this is part of the value that you have missed. What you have now is a $5,000 custom car. A car that most people won't want because it is going to be difficult to find someone to work on it or find someone that is going to understand what you did. This is what really hurts the price and why an original collectible car is worth more.

You seem to be more of a japanese car enthusiast. Most of your friends probally are. This would be typical of one of them to have missed this since japanese cars do not have the following that most other makes have gained. The japanese can often make a comparable product for less. This less comes at a cost. If you were to break these cars down and compare them piece by piece you will be able to see the difference. Much of this is in quality. If you are just trying to get drunk then you will find that Popov vodka does just as good of a job for much less than Grey Goose could but don't begin to think that there is not a difference.

The Subaru engines certainly have their own problems that I am sure you are aware of.

Frankly it is your car and you can do what ever you want even if it is turn it into a waterpumper or set it on fire even. I am a fan of the wankel engine in the Triumph spitfire but I think that this type of conversion really fills a void, where your car does not do so anywhere as much. This is all just my opinion mixed with a good deal of fact that I am sharing with you though.
You can call it a mistake if you want, but you will never convince me of it. No matter how you look at, I took a rolling shell, and turned it into a driving car. Not just a driving car, but a faster, lighter, cheaper to maintain car that no one else has. Would it have been easier to do like most Americans do and charge the cost of a used 3.0 onto the nearest VISA credit card? Sure, but how much sense would that make? The fact is, I love projects, and believe it or not, I love Porsches (I work on them 45 hours a week on top of my own car). I did shop for a used 3.0 air cooled engine and it was something I couldn't afford. $5K-$6K for a GOOD used engine with unknown mileage, and when it does need a rebuild (and it would soon) then I would have to come up with more money I don't have. With the price of the Subaru engine, I can easily buy a spare and do a performance rebuild slowly as extra money becomes available. I understand that the SC 3.0 is one of the most, if not the most reliable air cooled Porsche engine, but reliability is relative and I don't know of any manufacture that can out live a good Japanese manufacture. Argue that fact if you want, but there's a reason that Japanese cars have the reputation they have, and that reputation can't be argued.

As far as the decreased value of the car with the "rice burner" engine, I can honestly say that I DON'T CARE. I don't build my cars as investments. I build what I want, and I stay within MY budget.

You label me as a "Japanese car enthusiast", yet the thought of that seems so foreign to me. I am a MOTORSPORTS enthusiast. I don't discriminate whatsoever. In fact, most of my friends ARE Porsche owners, and the ones who aren't, respect the brand for their achievements in racing. As much as you would like to put some kind of psychological profile on me, the fact is you know nothing about me other than the fact that other than that I'm building a car that you don't agree with.

You said " I am a fan of the wankel engine in the Triumph spitfire but I think that this type of conversion really fills a void, where your car does not do so anywhere as much. "

The way I see it, my Subaru engine filled the void in my empty Porsche engine bay just fine

Although it may not seem like it, I DO respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it. I understand that there are people out there who are so passionate about their cars that they can't accept anything out of the ordinary. I'm just not one of those people.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
He could have fixed the car and sold it and then I am sure he could have come up with something even more creative now that he had a sizable budget. That is what I would have done if I were him and that was the case. That or spend all my money on lottery tickets.
Houpty GT,

Per kcpaz' PP post #10..."I cannot afford to buy a used 3.0 with a $6-$8k price tag." Yep, he did his research. That's what a strong 3.0 with with a semi-recent rebuild record from a reputable shop will cost. Options end here...no funds...no mistake.

kcpaz,

Again, very creative. I can see you enjoyed yourself immensely on this project and that is very important. I dare say, that if you showed up at any PCA DE event, many, many more people would be enjoying looking at and talking to you about your car than my near mint '83 w/ 34K miles!!!

Now get back to work so we can hear about your driving impressions!

Mike

Last edited by Mike S.; 12-18-2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added "PCA"
Old 12-18-2007, 12:10 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

Thanks Mike. It's understanding Porsche owners like you who make me proud to own the car I do.

Maybe some day when I have more money (keep in mind I'm only 25 years old so I have a long way to go) I will do a 3.6 conversion. Afterall, it's not like I made any permenant modifications to my chassis.

Quick Reply: Cat's out of the bag now...