Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cat's out of the bag now...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Aldo
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Hey- that sounds great! And I think I even saw an authentic looking puff of smoke!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That is a really cool project!
(see we are open minded!)
Old 12-15-2007, 11:27 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome and I've bookmarked the adapter kit site. I like the sound, too, but my motivation may be to find the most reliable route to 400hp.

When you corner balance the car you may end up with a better front/rear weight distribution than a stock 911. I'm very interested in hearing the total weight now, and the number of pounds on each wheel.

Last edited by LaughaC; 12-15-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:42 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaughaC
That's awesome and I've bookmarked the adapter kit site. I like the sound, too, but my motivation may be to find the most reliable route to 400hp.

When you corner balance the car you may end up with a better front/rear weight distribution than a stock 911. I'm very interested in hearing the total weight now, and the number of pounds on each wheel.

YES, this is something I'm VERY excited to do. I really think I will see a big weight savings, but also a significant balance change. I will try to get some measurements soon. I just need to steal the scales from work for a day
Old 12-16-2007, 06:58 AM
D.C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, teriffic job on the conversion, exellent craftsmanship, and well thought out design. It even sounds good. Very nice work. Post up the performance numbers when you have them.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:49 AM
64_Comet
Intermediate

My DD is a Subaru Legacy GT 2.5L Turbo.

It was funny to hear your car start up and hear that Subaru Boxer sound.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 495 Posts

SOUNDS INcredible....so close to the 911 in sound, its just missing the valves jumping around in there.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

As a total Porsche Fan Boy, I'll bite. Why? I mean, why a 911? Its never going to be a Porsche anymore, so why not put the motor into something dif like another subbie or something. I applaud the hard work you have done...but why? You obviously do not like Porsches, so why use a 911 body? Makes no since to me...none.

Trying not to sound like an AH here. It just makes no since to me whatsoever.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
As a total Porsche Fan Boy, I'll bite. Why? I mean, why a 911? Its never going to be a Porsche anymore, so why not put the motor into something dif like another subbie or something. I applaud the hard work you have done...but why? You obviously do not like Porsches, so why use a 911 body? Makes no since to me...none.

I have to say, you were much nicer to me on Pelican Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to say that I don't like Porsches shows that you don't know anything about me.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:14 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kcpaz
I have to say, you were much nicer to me on Pelican Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to say that I don't like Porsches shows that you don't know anything about me.

If you think that was mean, then I must be a huge AH. I thought I was being nice about it. Really I am only stating my opinion, and that should have no bearing on what anyone does as a person. Its just my opinion. Even though I do not agree with it, does not mean that what I think is law.

Me saying that you obviously do not like Porsches is just my opinion of you compared to myself. Perhaps I should have just said that you do not like Porsches the way that I like them.

To each their own. Had you done this to say a ferrari....I would not have cared... thats just me. Please do not think I was purposely being harsh or rude.

I still can not understand why though.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

different strokes, different folks. It's just a car.... it really is.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

If you compare engine purchase price, rebuild prices, performance and weight... why will quickly become apparent.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by spence88mph
If you compare engine purchase price, rebuild prices, performance and weight... why will quickly become apparent.
Given your skills and the situation as you outlined in your PP's thread, you've created a great solution. I see good ole' American ingenuity at work here. Very nice work kcpaz! So what do you have up your sleeve as an alternative to the 915 gearbox in a rebuild like this?!

Mike
Old 12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

well for now I'm using a stock 915 box, but I will probably go G50 in the future. I just don't like the way the 915 shifts.... or in some cases, doesn't.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

I do agree that you have done pretty good work. I think it is a mistake though. I think it would have indeed been easier and financially wise to have bought a 3.0 and put it in. Like you said with the Scooby engine, they sell for $900 and you only paid $450. I doubt you looked for a 911 engine. Calling the 3.0 unreliable in any way is also a mistake. The SC has been referred to as the nearly perfected aircooled Porsche. The reliability of the engine is part of this and is part of the reason that prices are low on these cars right now because there are still so many of them on the road. Bruce Anderson even wrote in his performance book that he nor another builder he new had ever rebuilt an SC engine because it had worn out. I bet you could find alot more high mileage 911sc than you could of your donor car. If this car was a 2.7, I may feel that it would have been a better idea since it makes a much bigger change than what you have done and with less too.

Having replaced the Porsche engine you would have found yourself with a $12,000 automobile. I think that this is part of the value that you have missed. What you have now is a $5,000 custom car. A car that most people won't want because it is going to be difficult to find someone to work on it or find someone that is going to understand what you did. This is what really hurts the price and why an original collectible car is worth more.

You seem to be more of a japanese car enthusiast. Most of your friends probally are. This would be typical of one of them to have missed this since japanese cars do not have the following that most other makes have gained. The japanese can often make a comparable product for less. This less comes at a cost. If you were to break these cars down and compare them piece by piece you will be able to see the difference. Much of this is in quality. If you are just trying to get drunk then you will find that Popov vodka does just as good of a job for much less than Grey Goose could but don't begin to think that there is not a difference.

The Subaru engines certainly have their own problems that I am sure you are aware of.

Frankly it is your car and you can do what ever you want even if it is turn it into a waterpumper or set it on fire even. I am a fan of the wankel engine in the Triumph spitfire but I think that this type of conversion really fills a void, where your car does not do so anywhere as much. This is all just my opinion mixed with a good deal of fact that I am sharing with you though.

Quick Reply: Cat's out of the bag now...