Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

where are the footwell heater blowers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:47 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default where are the footwell heater blowers

my 911 3.2 convertible has a problem in that the heaters are not working how do i access the footwell blowers in the bonnet or are they in the car
also does anyone have a detailed link in h9ow to remove the rear blower and carry out the mod to by pass the blower
have done a search but cant find any detailed info into what needs to be removed and what needs to be replaced
Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The footwell blowers are in the footwell. The carpeted hump on the left of the foot area of the footwell under the dash. There are 3 - 4 Phillips screws holding it down. Feel around in the carpet for them. That will expose the fan & ducting.

Some backdate links:

Pelican Parts Technical BBS - Gratuitous pics of Carrera heater backdate...

Pelican Parts Technical BBS - Why you should backdate your heat on a 3.2

Pelican Parts Technical BBS - Tech Article: Running Footwell Blowers After Removing Engine Blower

Ian
Old 12-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Footwell blowers in 3.2 Carreras are unbelievably expensive for what they are.
I did the rear motor replacement tot he Grainger motor just over a year ago. I have now decided to fix the footwell blowers as one of them has died.

If you do a search here using the term "Grainger" you will find a link or two beyond what appears above.
A search on Pelican will also provide MUCH reading material on the rear blower motor issue and the steps required to upgrade to the newer motor type.

I have the drivers' side FWBM apart now in an attempt to rebuild/upgrade it. Once I have a few parts, (like a replacement DC motor!) I will try to create a tutorial with a few pics of the required mods.

Interestingly enough, since the motor itself is not available as a separate part (without the housing, and cage, etc) I think trying to fix it with a $28 replacement motor seems like a good idea, even if I end up throwing my current housing in the trash afterwards.
+++
Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Dan, that sounds like a good project!! Keep us posted! Good luck!!

911 2, I am not sure where you are, but the foot-well blowers are inside of the car, behind the kick panels, on both sides. They connect to a heated air duct tube coming from the heated air housings that are in the lower rocker panels, which is coming from heater flapper(control) valves, which are under the car, towards the engine. The heated air gets to the flapper valves VIA hoses that connect to the heat exchangers, which basically surround the exhaust manifolds. This explanation is very simplistic, but I hope that it will help you. I also agree, that you need to check out the Pelican forums for a lot of information on this task. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

if you add this wire the FW blowers work via the switch in the center console when the rear motor is removed from the circuit,
I have no idea how this works on cars with auto heat.

Last edited by J. Brinkley; 09-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

funny you should mention that as me footwell blowers do work when the switch is take back to the beginning and rotated clockwise, problem is my rear blower motor does not work but it is still in the engine bay, is this causing a restriction
Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

The long story (made short) of the heater blowers in 3.2 Carreras SEEMS to be that the reed switch (pictured above) must be engaged by the current draw of the rear blower motor in order for the footwell blowers to receive power.

The wire that is coiled around the reed switch is part of the power circuit to the rear blower motor.
Essentially, since it is pretty difficult to determine if the rear blower motor is working properly, my best guess is that a German engineer decided to provide a circuit to alert us if it fails, by disabling power to the footwell motors.

With that said, just because the footwell blowers are not functioning doesn't mean that the rear blower motor has failed.
+++

Quick Reply: where are the footwell heater blowers