Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

picture of 100 octane / broken swaybar mount / hot chick on bike / reef tank photo

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
So are we also talking about part throttle conditions?

I guess we're ultimately talking about combustion here, which is at the heart of the matter.

This reminds me of the book that "Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets." He says (am I'm paraphrasing here):

"Go into a dyno room, fire up the engine, warm it up, set to full load and then turn off the lights. What you'll see is a dazzling light show of misfires, arcs and tiny explosions from both the spark plug wires and the exhaust system."
LOL,..I was referring to the transition when you open the throttle, but part throttle, steady-state operations are easily
measured and quantified. Combustion behavior is affected by many things such as, mixture strength. ignition timing, cylinder head temps, air temps, spark plug heat range, plug position, chamber design, valve angles, port design, to name a few.

There are many thing we observe in the dyno room that cannot be witnessed with the engine in the car, but faulty/old ignition components can be seen in your garage at night by fogging the distributor caps and wires with a spray bottle containing water.

It can be quite a show,....

Here is the kind of thing we see on the dyno:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 08-20-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

this is where a G-Force meter would come in handy. I bet Pep Boys or the like have a zero to sixty / quarter mile timer that would work to prove my mutt dyno story.

on a different note(I think) I busted my driver side rear sway bar mount. the passenger side had been fixed at some point and today that clunk sound as I hit the 1" lip on the driveway and I knew what happened. I'll find the camera for a second oppinion..
Old 08-20-2007, 01:58 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Default yep, I think I did.

here is a real problem. one worthy of all this time and tallent you guys pound into your keyboards. fix this one, will you.

David, "bla bla something something remove your cranium from it's rectal storage unit something something bla bla bla" um, are you saying I have my head up my ****? LOL, now that was funny and I finally get it. I don't know how I missed that yesterday. THAT is what we need around here.

O.K. back you work. tell me how to fix this the right way this time.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 08-20-2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: re read of david's comments
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 AM
DARISC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That neck snapping 100 octane stuff will cause just this sort of damage on occasion
Old 08-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Man you guys take me to school sometimes
Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

O.K. here is living proof of just how powerful the 100 octane is. funny thing is I didn't use it today. (had wife in car when filling up. she doesn't need to know)

maybe this wouldn't have happened if I had sprung for the good stuff!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Cut those OEM mounts off and weld a pair of WEVO ones on.

Voila',..no more troubles.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

do you stock them and are you making lots of noise in the shop tonight?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by douglas bray
do you stock them and are you making lots of noise in the shop tonight?

Indeed I do and thankfully, I'm done for the day (night).
Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Originally Posted by DARISC
....Any Bonafide chemists/physicists out there to verify what I'm saying.....or set me straight?
How 'bout mechanical engineer? I'll verify. This confusion has been around for a long time. What the octane does is allow more usable cylinder pressure without the accompanying damaging detonation. The extra pressure could come from higher compression ratio, advanced timing, a more efficient induction system, or a few others. All these things build horsepower, octane simply permits it.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Now that was funny.

I've been thinking about this all day and have decided after using gas in motorcycles some thirty plus years, and after 24 years of driving and 20 years of driving as part of my job, and having say 100 years of automotive racing history to refer to, and having half the human race behind me, that what's his name is right, octane only allows power adding components to work as designed. Kind of like a big Employment Development Department for the motor. Fuel comes in and says "I have the octane so you can work to make more power now." come on it's funny "hey you over there, induction system, I'm at 95 today so you have permission to work harder today" oh and this is a common one around the track..."hey, quiet, stop your pinging or I'll make you blow yourself up."

it's kinda like saying that two match sticks are exactly the same and will both burn just as hot as each other when one has the blue tip and the other one doesn't. well of course they are exactly the same...

it's like saying the quantity of gun powder doesn't matter as long as it has some the bullet will be permitted to go fast, just as fast as if it had, say, an RPG on its back side.....

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 08-20-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,759 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Douglas, all physics and chemistry aside, let's not underestimate the power of the brain to interpret and create illusion which gets transformed into reality: if you think you are faster, then you ARE faster, and that is worth the price of 100 octane!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 AM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Douglas, all physics and chemistry aside, let's not underestimate the power of the brain to interpret and create illusion which gets transformed into reality: if you think you are faster, then you ARE faster, and that is worth the price of 100 octane!
That's a good point, except illusion becomes only "apparent" reality, which admitedly can certainly be fun.

However, Doug, having reached the conclusion that you have, take heart and consider that for the price of not a whole lot of tank fulls of that super expensive race gas, you can mod your motor to even exceed your current illusion - then it's done, paid for and the real, non-illusory power will always be there with every tank of 91 octane gas (and the kids college funds can grow quicker ).
Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Murphy, I have taken down the picture of you, the car, and your bride in favor of this guy. Now, let me go back to my happy place.

darisc, gas is tax deductable. the turbo kit is not.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

so, are we at the dead horse stage yet?

Murphy, I already put your picture back up as the wallpaper on my computer. customers can see my computer from the will call window and were wanting the "hot picture" back up. (so was I)........Tokyo?

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 08-22-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: more fun than monkeys

Quick Reply: picture of 100 octane / broken swaybar mount / hot chick on bike / reef tank photo