Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rentadate
75 with an 83SC engine
i'm putting an '83 3.0 in next week

fully rebuilt 3.0, SSIs, Monty, new clutch, CDI, coil...the works!

its another one of those "want" things mentioned in previous posts
Old 08-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After commenting earlier, I remembered the way that I used to describe the 911 experience to 1st time buyers. Your first time in one will probably feel very alien, after you drive the car for two weeks, every other car will feel alien, and you won't want to wait to get back into the 911. With the 944, they feel rather ordinary. Yes, their power is in perfect synch with their handling and brakes (actually the early ones were underpowered compared to handling and brakes). Another poster said the 944 is easy to go fast in, right out of the box. I agree with that. The 911, on the other hand, requires an almost developed skill, which, for me, makes it the hands-down winner in this debate.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
O...How does the 911 drive, compared to the 944?
You'll attain a good perspective if you post this same question in the racing section. At any DE, you're going to see some very fast 911s and some very fast 944s. It's amazing what some of these 944s can do.

I have to say that there is no arguing the price difference of the 911 vs. the 944, so if you want to save some bucks, the 944 is definately the best Porsche bargain, not to mentioned the best bargain "race" car on the planet.

But they do drive very differently, so a test drive will be the determining factor for you.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

OF course if you haven't already post the same question on the 944 forum to be fair , you may get a different perspective. a few points from personal experience....

1. I have wrenched both and my 78 was WAY easier to access and wrench than my 87 944S

2. Maintanance and general breakages were way worse on my 944 , more expensive too.

3. You can easily drop 5-10 grand into either car if something catastrophic went wrong. At the end you can have a 20G 911 or a 5G 944.

4. 944 great daily driver you can drive easily .... 911 , driving a go cart and a motoring icon ..

I loved my 944 but would never go back.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 944S, even though it was a great car. After about two days of wonderfulness, I would start to get irritated with it. Performance felt underwhelming above 70 MPH, even though it would reach 130 plus with relative ease on the open road. I had a wonderful six hour drive with it on the day I sold it. The 944 turbo is a wonderful car, and I cannot bring myself to sell mine. Long legged beasts they are, though they need a bit more tire than stock.

However, I have to agree with Pete Z. Once you have taken a 911 by the scruff of the neck, it is hard to go back. They are fast cars that feel fast. Really, it is a lot like liccorice. Some people don't like it, but the people who do tend to like it a lot. 911s are like that. OTOH, my favorite 944 turbo story involves driving around a tight second gear corner with a truck coming the other way and being in complete control - while balancing a cup of coffee in my left hand. Also, not a lot of low down torque on tap, but it is fun when you let it all fly. On the boil, they are really rapid cars and quite equal to the 911. The 911 does however have a much more rapid throttle response, which adds to the appeal for me.

Maintenance wise, a good 911 with a solid engine and tranny should be pretty cheap to run. However, no one should ever try to run any Porsche on the cheap, unless they intend to flog it onto some starry eyed , soon to be dissolusioned new owner. Unless you do the work yourself, that is. LOL
Old 08-10-2007, 03:44 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I much appreciate the many helpful experiences here. I almost have to hold myself back from buying a 911 before noon tomorrow.

The comparison to the VW hit me between the eyes. (Or was I imagining that.) I had one as a teen, and have never recovered from the loss of that car. While it lacked so many things, the character of that car was ... something else entirely! And that bug handled pretty well, as I recall. But the "feel." That's what I miss. I see a 911, and I see a "bug" raised to a high art form. Like I told ya, I love the 944, but the 911 is something else.

I admit it. I haven't cross posted to the 944 forum. I'm sure to be called a 911 heretic there, ;-) and risk some serious lynching. And I admit, I deserve it for my waffling. But some of you guys know how it is, right? Those of you who know and appreciate both cars. Too bad my garage (and budget) will only support 2 cars, and one of em is my daily driver [a 93 Acura--please--no hate mail. It was a gift. Was I supposed to say "No thanks"?]

I gotta say, the knowledge and the passion you fellows have for the Porsche is inspiring, and I appreciate your comments much. How come there's no Toyota Corolla forum of a similar nature? The answer is obvious!

I must have a Porsche. Surely this is axiomatic.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:47 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Hey, JV 911,

If that's your ex girlfriend in your pic, she has a nice smile. I wouldn't mind an introduction. (Bet I need something better than a 944 to pick her up in for a trip to the ice cream parlour).

;-)

Brent
Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 AM
JV911
Drifting

Bet I need something better than a 944 to pick her up in for a trip to the ice cream parlour

another reason to buy a 911 !
Old 08-10-2007, 04:17 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Sydney Australia?! My home town!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:29 AM
JV911
Drifting

dead set?

great to have another aussie on the board

friday arvo - off to the pub!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:13 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Hey guys,

I much appreciate the many helpful experiences here. I almost have to hold myself back from buying a 911 before noon tomorrow.

The comparison to the VW hit me between the eyes. (Or was I imagining that.) I had one as a teen, and have never recovered from the loss of that car. While it lacked so many things, the character of that car was ... something else entirely! And that bug handled pretty well, as I recall. But the "feel." That's what I miss. I see a 911, and I see a "bug" raised to a high art form. Like I told ya, I love the 944, but the 911 is something else.

I admit it. I haven't cross posted to the 944 forum. I'm sure to be called a 911 heretic there, ;-) and risk some serious lynching. And I admit, I deserve it for my waffling. But some of you guys know how it is, right? Those of you who know and appreciate both cars. Too bad my garage (and budget) will only support 2 cars, and one of em is my daily driver [a 93 Acura--please--no hate mail. It was a gift. Was I supposed to say "No thanks"?]

I gotta say, the knowledge and the passion you fellows have for the Porsche is inspiring, and I appreciate your comments much. How come there's no Toyota Corolla forum of a similar nature? The answer is obvious!

I must have a Porsche. Surely this is axiomatic.
Yeah, it's not just the cars, it's the people, that's the thing with Porsche...
Old 08-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Yen
Intermediate

Seen many porsches driving everytime i visit Sydney. Great place and weather for driving. Chicks are lovely too!
Assuming you will get the 911 for non-daily driving, you should first rent a 944 for a week and then buy a 911 after. Do this for yourself so you'll understand and appreciate the latter a little better. For me, I buy a 944 for the badge, and I buy a 911 for the car.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:58 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I much appreciate the many helpful experiences here. I almost have to hold myself back from buying a 911 before noon tomorrow....
Our work is through guys...another one's on the hook! Seriously, take your time and really decide between a 944 and a 911 while learning about both. Once you've decided on the 911 for sure , then the search begins! Pelican is also a great source of info and assistance for the air cooled 911s. Use both boards, buy Pete Zimmerman's book (and a few others), begin your quest, but don't fall in love with the first few you look at (easy to do). Many of us spent months search for the cars we now have...that's part of the learning process and fun. Buy a good one, and you won't regret it, but a bad one (and they ARE out there) will $poil the experience...good luck!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Katalog
Advanced

WitchDoctor! Sydney? My wife is there at the moment on a Romance Writers Conference!!!! No. Not about 911s

The 911? It's quite crazy. Impossible to understand until you have owned one, which is a pity - because it can be an expensive experience if it doesn't work out for you. And it may not. Everyone's different. My wife has her doubts about it, because she cannot reach the pedals. A small detail. I tell her to look on the bright side; she can paint her fingernails while I drive

It (the 911) has a charm not shared by any (?) other - e.g., last night I visited one of my daughters. When leaving I switched on. It gave that menacing throaty growl. She raced down the steps and jumped in the passenger seat. Please take me for a drive around the block she cried!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Katalog
Advanced

JV 911 - Jeremy - who is doing the installation of the 3.0 for you? Sounds like a magnificent upgrade all round. Don't forget the pics.

Quick Reply: Driving the 911 vs 944