Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Driving the 911 vs 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

People will come and go, but the legend of the 911 lives on and on and on forever. Case in point: I sold my car; a new Rennlister acquired it
Old 08-18-2007, 02:00 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Murph', I saw it right after it was gone. I'm just about decided to cross border shop for my Porsche. Prob'ly would have called you today, had you still had that car.

:-/

-Brent
Old 08-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

I know this is beat to death with 7 pages of posts but please allow me to express my feelings. I own an 86 944 turbo(guards red) and I own an 86 911(guards red) I cant decide which one I like better, I dont think anyone really can, it is a true dilemma. The 951 explodes on spool up and handles so easy.The shift throw is so short in comparison to the school bus shift throw of my 911. Off the line I am through 4 gears in the 951 in the time it takes me to shift 2 gears in the 911. People tend to think of the 944 as the "poor mans Porsche" but they arent aware of its $45,000 price tag when new, it was more expensive than the same year 911 in some markets. Maintenance wise if they are used only on weekends and not every day odds are they will be equally dependable at this stage in thier life.The turbo 944 is a much more modern design than the 3.2 carrera motor, eventhough the 3.2 was refered to the last true air cooled engine(84-89) they say it was pure Stuttgart evolution, to me it's a VW on steroids. Pick up 911&PORSCHE WORLD NUMBER 151, OCTOBER 06. magazine. It has good articles on the 3.2 carrera motor and the 944&944 turbo. Many of us Porsche owners have both the 951 and the 911 and we are torn. I cant decide which one I like more but I do feel prouder in the 911 and those rounded fenders on the 911 do look nostalgic,however,I do love the kick in the *** when my K27/8 300 hp turbo 944 spools up
Old 08-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
If it was supposed to feel much more powerful than the 944 turbo, someone please tell me. I'm a bit worried the motor is a tad weak.
951 at 3500 rpm and on boost will out accelerate an SC. An experienced SC person can "sense" if it's weak or fine. Compression and leakdown test would provide some insight.

No play in the steering. A little tough, thogh, to throw the wheel around. Again, I take it this is part of the raw-ish, non-power-everything charm of these cars.
My impression and reaction was the same as yours.

I was a little un-suave on the gear box. Glad the owner didn't ride along. Hope he's not reading . I accidentally ground first gear...2 or 3 times when aiming for 3rd. :-/
Welcome to the 915 box. Relative to the 944/951 gearbox...long throw, kind of vague, not "willing" to say "ok" to a fast shift request. Though shifting seems to be a bit quicker at higher rpms. A little hestitation between shifts and all is well. Racers like a to get a precison shift (Wevo, others) to improve the shifting. As I mentioned previously, shifting is better in the G50 cars ('87 and on).

So, please let fly with any further comments and suggestions. I liked this car, though I didnt' fall in love. I think love will take time to develop. In particular, I think I can allow myself the freedom to fall in love, only after I'm sure I'm not looking at the Porsche equivalent of a Saturday morning STD after an evening with a Friday night bar star.
When you find the "one," you'll have a hard time not thinking about it...move on. And this is much easier than dating, no car can say "no" to you courting it and you will always do the "dumping" without nary a consequence.

The guy who owns the car seems a real decent fellow...
This is always important to me...dealing with an honest person is one of my requirements.

So, I'm gonna try and see another 1980 SC this weekend, but if I like this first one better... would offering the guy $17.5 be a good place to start, or should I just keep looking, waiting,and extending my search further afield. Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, etc?
Please don't make an offer. I beg you, keep looking! As you "play the field", you learn how to pick the right mate....errrrr 911.

Advice I recieved long ago..."If you're new to this, look at 10 cars before buying one." I think this is good advice. This forced education will make you much more informed.

Keep posting so we can follow along and assist you,

Mike

P.S. Question...If I say "tensioner upgrade" and "pop off valve", do you know about items such as this? If not, here's a second plug to get Peter Zimmerman's buyers guide for the 911. I'm just being a PITA so you're in a good position to get a strong car at a fair price vs. a surprise money pit (in particular a car that needs engine work).
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
Many of us Porsche owners have both the 951 and the 911 and we are torn. I cant decide which one I like more but I do feel prouder in the 911 and those rounded fenders on the 911 do look nostalgic,however,I do love the kick in the *** when my K27/8 300 hp turbo 944 spools up
I'm with you on this!

Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
I know this is beat to death with 7 pages of posts but please allow me to express my feelings. I own an 86 944 turbo(guards red) and I own an 86 911(guards red) I cant decide which one I like better, I dont think anyone really can, it is a true dilemma. The 951 explodes on spool up and handles so easy.The shift throw is so short in comparison to the school bus shift throw of my 911. Off the line I am through 4 gears in the 951 in the time it takes me to shift 2 gears in the 911. People tend to think of the 944 as the "poor mans Porsche" but they arent aware of its $45,000 price tag when new, it was more expensive than the same year 911 in some markets. Maintenance wise if they are used only on weekends and not every day odds are they will be equally dependable at this stage in thier life.The turbo 944 is a much more modern design than the 3.2 carrera motor, eventhough the 3.2 was refered to the last true air cooled engine(84-89) they say it was pure Stuttgart evolution, to me it's a VW on steroids. Pick up 911&PORSCHE WORLD NUMBER 151, OCTOBER 06. magazine. It has good articles on the 3.2 carrera motor and the 944&944 turbo. Many of us Porsche owners have both the 951 and the 911 and we are torn. I cant decide which one I like more but I do feel prouder in the 911 and those rounded fenders on the 911 do look nostalgic,however,I do love the kick in the *** when my K27/8 300 hp turbo 944 spools up
But if you compare model vs. model, I think you'll find that the 911 Carrera should be compared with the 944 and the 911 Turbo should be compared against the 944 Turbo. This is a totally different comparison and probably has different results (911 probably wins).

Practically, the prices of these cars are different, and I always like to compare cars of the same price point. That is why the 944 Turbo is such a solid car when compared against a 3.2 Carrera.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:02 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Mike, Naples, Murph', and others.

If I'm not taking up too much space on this forum--being a newb', I wouldn't know...--but I'll keep updating to this thread. I'm sobered by the good advice to sleep with...to drive...to examine many cars before making offers. Thanks, Mike, for re-emphasizing this point with such an explicit guideline.

Pete Z's book should be here this week. I am familiar with the chain tensioner issue, but not the pop off valve. One thing I can tell you is that that nice fellow selling his somewhat pricey $21k 1980 sc is that I don't think he knew that much about his own car. Didn't have great records preceding his purchase (at the same price) 18 months ago. Didn't know what had been done to it.

I don' t mind the realities of providing proper care and feeding of my eventual 911. Those are the costs of a dream, but I see that the costs of a bad buy can be an utter nightmare, and that's to be avoided. So, I'll wait, I'll look, I'll read, I'll drive to build knowledge and a feel for what's good and what's not.

I suppose that lack of extensive records isn't necessarily a bad thing, but that with so many 911's in North America, it's worth being fussy about one that has all that available.

As it turns out, I didn't see that other 911 today. Mebe I'll call the guy tomorrow.

My continued gratitude to you gentlemen.

And Murph' -- sorry you had to sell your baby, but rumour has it, it's gone to a good home!

Brent
Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Update:

I want to update you fellows that were helpful to me in my search. I bought an 82 91sc over the weekend, with 168k KMs on the clock. I added 50 KMs of my own since Friday night.

"I'm not in love" to quote the old song, though I think a deep, meaningful, and lasting relationship can develop here. I was confident in the care provided by the previous owner. It was his 12th or 13 porsche in what looks like about a 30 year pattern of serial porsche monogamy. He was pretty knowledgeable about these cars, a factor in his selection when he bought it 3 or so years ago. Documentation seems pretty extensive, and important things have been done (e.g., tensioners, air box, transmission work).

The car looks and runs great.

I'll try and get some pictures up for you.

Again, my thanks for all the good advice I received here.

-Brent
Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Correction, I added 500, not 50, KMs. Pffft. 50! Hope I drive better than I type.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Congrats Brent!

Now for a new challenge, ask us what oil to use.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations...now the real fun begins! Aren't you glad you didn't listen to those 944 guys ?

Keith
'88 CE couope
Old 09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
DARISC
Racer

"I'm not in love"
You VILL fall in luff!!

Undt you vill begin NOW!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM
kplackmeyer
Advanced

Congrats!!! You will fall in love...just wait!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

LOL!

Vill be fallin in lovin, yah. Ees goot. Unt my fraulein ist becomen ein porschen fan alzoh.

Darisc, you're hillarious.

Fred, I'm already up to this, for no sooner did I get 150 kms into my trip than I noted the oil level needle down in the red. My co pilot read what a bad bad thing this is in the manual, but a quick call to the former owner informed me that the needle isn't really too accurate, and that the thing to do is check the dip stick ... when motor is warmed up, and still running. It's down to the bottom line on the dipstick...

Unt zo... I have to add oil. He told me Mobil 1, synthetic, 15w50. So... ahhh, before I add any, do you have a recommendation Fred?

I do have to say, I really, really, really like the car. My son was thrilled when I picked him up from work, Friday night. My friends and girl friend all affirm the purchase.

And your positive comments...all of this helps drown out the internalized voice of some parental representation that, "whoever" it is, sure speaks clearly. As I went off the sleep Friday night, I thought I heard someone say "What the h3ll do you need a car like that for? You don't need 2 cars! What a frivolous waste of money!" [it was $18 k, by the way, canadian]

Of course, neither my external, real world mother, nor the internal representation that persecutes me, understand what you all understand. What I already understand.

Saturday morning, I awoke not with cold feet, or regretful second thoughts, but with a broad grin on my face. I could literally feel myself grinning from ear to ear as I awoke with thoughts of Porsche on my mind.

"Porsche on my mind"...hmmm; lyrics from a Ray Charles song, I think.

I'm just delighted to have joined the fine ranks of you passionate p-car hobbyists.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
DARISC
Racer

the thing to do is check the dip stick ... when motor is warmed up, and still running. It's down to the bottom line on the dipstick...

Check when FULLY warmed up, on level surface with engine idling, after letting engine idle for 60 seconds or 1 minute (whichever comes first). The dipstick measures only the top 2 qts. in the oil tank. If the level is between the two marks on the stick you're ok. Do NOT drop the dip stick down the filler tube. Like I did.

I check my oil level gauge with unerring frequency and ALWAYS (I can't emphasize this strongly enough) wonder why I do, because it never reads the same.

Unt zo... I have to add oil. He told me Mobil 1, synthetic, 15w50. So... ahhh, before I add any, do you have a recommendation Fred?

I wouldn't mix synthetic w/dino - also be aware that if you switch to synthetic you may have new leaks appear (no problem; fix the leaks or switch back to dino).

Quick Reply: Driving the 911 vs 944