Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need some friendly help and advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Default I need some friendly help and advice.

Hi!,

I am new to this forum but have been around other car forums for a while. I am currently trying to pursue my dreams of owning an older 911. I have researched it as much as I can (even got a book from a peter zimmerman). My research has lead me to the conclusion that I should get a 87-89 911. However I have a few questions.

1) Is the G50 transmission really all that more than the previous generation transmission. I notice a price jump from a 86 to an 87. Is it really worth it?

2) I have seen a few 911s at a dealer called midwestperformancecars<dot>com. Does anyone know how reputable this dealer is?

3) I am actually situated in Canada but am usually looking to the States for a car due to the very high exchange rate these days. I found a car in Canada but it is an '89 C4 (US origin), it has about 100K miles and it selling for $21. Are C4s normally these cheap or is there something wrong with it. (it is hard to find any 911 of this year up here under $23) I would rather have a feel for it before I invest in a PPI. Also, seeing as I don't want to track this car is a C4 right for me or is it just more trouble than it's worth; added maintenance and reliability issues?

4) Lastly, does anyone have any good recommendations for car shippers, either ones with transborder service or not?

Thank you all for you time and help
Cheers!
-matt
Old 07-28-2007, 11:04 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt -
Pete Zimmerman's a regular & valued member here - he's got lots to contribute.

The G50's supposed to be a smoother shifting trans capable of more power thrown at it too. I have spoken to Porsche mechanics who have told me that's not quite all it's cracked up to be, that the 915 can handle quite a lot of power. So, it'll depend on who you talk to as to just how much better the G50 is, and whether the premium's worth it. Bruce Anderson always seems to state that it is when I read the Excellence magazine 84-89 valuations annually.

I have a 915, and compared to other cars I've driven, it's pretty sloppy - like, "now where's third... how about around HERE?" some days. After you get the hang of it, there's really not a big thing about it.

I originally looked at an early 964 C4 Cab, and it was running ~$18k US w/ >70k miles on it. I am very glad I ended up with my 84 instead (although I like the 3.6L's power).

I don't know the dealer you listed, but I'm sure others here will be able to chime in.

Welcome!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:04 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
Hi!,

I am new to this forum but have been around other car forums for a while. I am currently trying to pursue my dreams of owning an older 911. I have researched it as much as I can (even got a book from a peter zimmerman). My research has lead me to the conclusion that I should get a 87-89 911. However I have a few questions.

1) Is the G50 transmission really all that more than the previous generation transmission. I notice a price jump from a 86 to an 87. Is it really worth it?

2) I have seen a few 911s at a dealer called midwestperformancecars<dot>com. Does anyone know how reputable this dealer is?

3) I am actually situated in Canada but am usually looking to the States for a car due to the very high exchange rate these days. I found a car in Canada but it is an '89 C4 (US origin), it has about 100K miles and it selling for $21. Are C4s normally these cheap or is there something wrong with it. (it is hard to find any 911 of this year up here under $23) I would rather have a feel for it before I invest in a PPI. Also, seeing as I don't want to track this car is a C4 right for me or is it just more trouble than it's worth; added maintenance and reliability issues?

4) Lastly, does anyone have any good recommendations for car shippers, either ones with transborder service or not?

Cheers!
-matt
Hi Matt:

You are in for the time of your life,......

1) G50's are fine transmissions and all things being equal, have a nicer shift quality than the 915's do. Now,..... since things are NEVER equal when it comes to used cars, a 915-equipped Carrera with good linkage and a tranny thats not worn out will shift VERY well. Judge each and every car on its own merits (condition) and don't worry about what year it is.

2) I know Midwest Performance in Chicago but I cannot tell you anything about what they have for sale. Without any exceptions whatsoever, you MUST have a PPI done on any car that you may consider. This should never be performed by the seller or his agent/shop,...........

3) Stay away from the 964 C4's as these are VERY complex cars that are expensive to maintain. Unless you must have an AWD car, the Carrera is more reliable.

4) We have been very pleased with Concours Transport. Talk to Fred,...

Hope this helps,
Old 07-29-2007, 02:15 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Don't buy a 964.

2. Do all the research you can before you buy- here and on the Pelican forums.

3. Get a Pre-Purchase Inspection from an independent party (no prior knowledge of the car or its owner) before you buy.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2007, 03:00 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Old, I have an '88 911 cabrio 3.2 G50 63,000 miles one or two owners in Ohio. looked for it for six months with out the help of this forum. It was always a dream of mine to own this car and my 40th birthday was finally my excuse. after 25 test drives of other '86-'87-'88's I stumbled across this one. It's the one Peter Zimmerman said in his book would be perfect for me. (should have had his book when I was looking instead of 3 months after) the car is plush, nimble, responsive, and super quick to respond to what I tell it to do. Now, is this the only hot bone stock porsche on the planet? NO, their are thousands of them everywhere. the drivers of the 997,996,987,caymanns, and the like won't even look at me. to them it's just another used car. they are all morons (except for Dan, he's cool) just picture yourself stuck in 55 MPH traffic when a hole opens up and you gun it and find yourself launching into the 140 MPH range. I really do start every work week with a sore neck from my weekends in my Carrera. I don't even want to know what a pipe and chip would do.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Hi!,

Cheers!
-matt
Good questions! I've give you my opinion:

1.) Not really. Either transmission is great, bulletproof and fun to drive. The G50 is easier to drive; the 915 is more fun.

2.) I have met Tom at midwestperformancecars, and he seems like a good guy. I have driven more than 5 of his cars and they are all good cars.

3.) $21 for a C4 is about right. I've seen plenty of good cars with nothing wrong with them at that price point. The price range varies, and the only way you'll know what a good deal is when you buy is to test drive and spent time on this forum asking questions. A PPI is a must in any case and it's not money lost.

4.) Sorry, I can't help here. I do, however, have a 1988 Carrera Targa for sale if you're interested: http://michaelmurphy.cc/1988%20Porsc...ra%20Targa.htm. It needs new front brake pads and the AC doesn't work. Everything else is good.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:08 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Thank you all, it helped very much.

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

1.) Not really. Either transmission is great, bulletproof and fun to drive. The G50 is easier to drive; the 915 is more fun.
What do you mean by easier and 'more fun'

Originally Posted by 84_carrera
I have a 915, and compared to other cars I've driven, it's pretty sloppy - like, "now where's third... how about around HERE?" some days. After you get the hang of it, there's really not a big thing about it.
I was more worried about the reliability aspect. Is this a transmission that is temperamental and is likely to fail on me or is it just a feel thing?

If it helps; I use to own a 91 golf. In any gear I could still move the shifter 3" in any direction. I quickly got use to where ever gear was and then I could shift very quickly and easily without any problem. It would only require a bit of double clutching on cold mornings. Is this what a 915 tranny is like?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:25 AM
jester911
Drifting

You need not worry about the reliability of the 915. It can be a little finicky but your 91' golf sounds similar. An analogy I have heard about the feel of the shifter is "stick in a bucket". This has much more to do with the shifter and linkage to the tranny than the tranny itself.

When shifting it you just can't rush it. It definitely is a feel thing. I have an 86' with about 95k on it and it with original tranny and I drive it on the track 4 to 5 times a year on top of every weekend I can.
Try to drive plenty of cars to get a feel for what is "normal" . Then find the best example you can and then get your PPI.
Good luck.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:43 AM
old man neri
Drifting

My question basically comes from the bigger question of; which is going to be cheaper to run: an 85-86 or an 87-88? which will I enjoy more?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:58 AM
jester911
Drifting

I don't think there is much if any difference in cost. I have never done anything to my tranny other than change its fluid. The same is true of the G50 as long as it is sound to begin with.
The main thing is having a sound car up front.

You need to drive some yourself to make your own judgement. Some ppl really don't feel much difference where others feel a big difference.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't get a consensus on the difference between 915/G50. You have to drive them to see. I did & realized that I would not be happy with a 915.

Re shipping. See Christien's Pelican post Importing a Porsche from the US into Canada for all things concerning transport & border.

Hansen's gets the nod from many (including me) for affordable & reliable shipping. See Hansen's

Ian
Old 07-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

87 to 89 would be my choice as well. You will never be sorry. Try to get one with everything you want. An example would be working AC. Pay more for a super runner with all services up to date, and it will pay off in the long run. I own a 1981 SC euro spec. I would still reccomend the later cars.

Unless of course you want a project or a really vintage feel.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:50 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the board and hope you have fun with your search for, and ownership of your 911.
Although they always say...."buy the newest 911 you can afford", dont be fooled into thinking that the G50 cars are better than the older ones. It all depends on condition of the car "PPI". An okay condition 89 is not going to give you a batter car than say a great condition 83.

Dont discount owning a 911SC in great condition...I did at first....I was searching for an 88-89 Carrera until I drove a bunch of cars. I was ready to drop $29,000 on a mint 89 coupe until I drove my current 83 Coupe. There was such a huge difference in the cars feel.....I just had to have the SC over the Carrera.

My advice is drive more than one car in different years....get a PPI....then buy what makes you happy.
You also will more than likely get a better deal if you buy from a trusted member of one of these forums or a PCA member. Buying from a dealer is not going to get you a better car for your money.

Almost forgot.....my 915 has not given me a problem whatsoever. Of course I baby going from 1st to 2nd, (911's are not drag queens anyway) every gear after that I can shift just as fast as I did in an old MR2 I had.

Michael
Old 07-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

What do you mean by easier and 'more fun'
The G50 is easy like driving a Honda. So just about anybody can get in the car and drive it. This is something to consider if others (wife) might be driving your 911. The 915 on the other hand, requires finesse. I remember getting in my first 915-car and thinking that the transmission was shot. It was at Midwestperformancecars in fact. I got out and asked Tom if I could drive another one with a working transmission. The 2nd and 3rd cars all felt exactly the same as the first. I finally realized that shifting is more of a process than just moving from point A to point B in these cars. So, I think it takes more skill because you can't just jam it into gear, and for that reason, in my opinion, it is more fun to drive.

...I was more worried about the reliability aspect. Is this a transmission that is temperamental and is likely to fail on me or is it just a feel thing?...
No, and I wouldn't even call either one temperamental. They are both reliable as long as you don't slam it into gear in either case repeatedly. Even though the G50 is quick and easy, you could damage it if you don't take your time. In any case, these Porsches are meant to be driven deliberately, with finesse, and the car will tell you when it's finished shifting. This is one reason why these cars are not meant to hit the dragstrip.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:11 PM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

Matt,

I acquired my first 911 almost 2 years ago after wanting one for 35+ years, and did a lost of research here, on Pelican, and read several books including Pete's. My personal conclusion from the research led me to search for 87-89 Carreras. I ended up with a '89 coupe and have been very happy with the performance, shifting, and the overall driving experience. Hopefully your location isn't in the southern part of the U.S.; if so you will be disappointed in the A/C but this is also well-documented in the research.

Regards,
David

Quick Reply: I need some friendly help and advice.