Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need some friendly help and advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Cloggie
Lost *******phile

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

For all the guys who complain about vague shifting in the 915....it is linkage and adjustment plus if you want to tighten it up, go for the factory short shift kit.

Between replacing all the bushings and proper adjustment, the 915 can easily get to the "gun bolt" level of precision, but it is a baulking transmission and will never be easy to shift. Having said that, I have zero problems with mine, it is not a transmission to be rushed.

Cost wise, I would assume it is zero difference....

Dennis
Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
My question basically comes from the bigger question of; which is going to be cheaper to run: an 85-86 or an 87-88? which will I enjoy more?
Pretty much the same cost, so that's why people usually go with the newest and best maintained example they can find. Neither one will be cheaper to run. The reason why people prefer the 87-89 is because of the updates, small increases in horsepower, the hydrolic clutch, and some other minor updates.

I have another question for you: do you like air conditioning? If you do, you might consider a 964 instead, which is a great value these days.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the best advice about the whole 915 vs. G50 is to go drive a few, especially back to back. You'll soon figure it out...

Good luck,

Paul.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Kennington
I think the best advice about the whole 915 vs. G50 is to go drive a few, especially back to back. You'll soon figure it out...

Good luck,

Paul.

+1!!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

remember to warm up the tranny like you warm up the engine....after about 5 miles my first and second gear become much smoother. I'd worry more about the clutch. don't try to launch the car at a light if you have a pasenger...the smell will kill you.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

To answer all your questions:

-I have never had A/C in any car I owned so I don't think I would be disappointed.

-I do plan on getting a PPI done on whatever car I decide to purchase.

- I would love nothing more than to go around and trying out the various porches. However, it is easier said than done in my case. Firstly I am situated in Canada, there aren't that many around. Secondly, due to my age and the current car I drive (soon to be the winter beater) not a lot of people take me seriously when I say I am interested in buy their car.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
To answer all your questions:

-I have never had A/C in any car I owned so I don't think I would be disappointed.

-I do plan on getting a PPI done on whatever car I decide to purchase.

- I would love nothing more than to go around and trying out the various porches. However, it is easier said than done in my case. Firstly I am situated in Canada, there aren't that many around. Secondly, due to my age and the current car I drive (soon to be the winter beater) not a lot of people take me seriously when I say I am interested in buy their car.
If you know where to go, test driving is easy. You might want to pay $200 for a flight to Chicago, because there are 2 places that I know of that work well for this. One is Midwestperformancecars. Tom just let me run through a bunch of his cars. He just handed me the keys and told me to get lost. The other place is called Luxury Motors. They are not a Porsche dealership, but they sell between 500-900 cars a month. They have a huge selection of mostly newer Porsches, but at least you can test drive them. They didn't even ask for my name, license, a credit card...nothing. They handed the keys to an '02 Carrera and said to "drive it around the block."

Porsche dealers are not that snooty, IMO. They'll let you out with the cars...

Quick Reply: I need some friendly help and advice.