looking to buy 78-83 911....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looking to buy 78-83 911....

Well, my wife has given the ok to look at another toy. I've always liked the 78-83 SC 3.0 litre cars, apparently bulletproof with proper maintenance.

Tips on what to look for?

(I would also entertain 84-88 cars, but price is also a factor.)

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

look for a car that is for sale....

sorry, be open to different colors and try to find a car that is close to stock. the car that Murphy has for sale is as good looking as his girlfriend.....
Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

A PPI is a must. Do you mind my asking how much you want to spend? Coupe/Targa? How far will you travel?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 84 coupe is for sale. it's about 95% stock. In need of some service (chance to upgrade the brakes and shocks!?). It has a few rock chips, scratches, and parking lot scars, but it is a great driving car.
It's in the Rennlist classifieds (ad is about to expire).
I can post or send pics if you are remotely interested.

Car has clear title and has always been located in the Los Angeles area.
Quick description:
84 coupe w/ 107,500 miles.
Purchased from a fellow Rennlist member about 3 years ago.
His mother was the original owner.
No record of engine work or significant service prior to my ownership.
Since I bought the car I have done the following:
New leather dash (already warped again!)
New headliner
Converted rear 1/4 windows to pop-out style
Replaced alternator
Small appearance mods like aluminum pedals and other misc. interior pieces
Grainger blower motor conversion (should last the life of the car)

The next service has a few things due at the same time, to include:
brakes -front rotors were new last time, rears were OK, but may need to be replaced this time.
Shocks -they are probably still original and a little "bouncy"
tires - 60-70% tread on S0-3s (original Fuchs; 15x7s in front and 15x8s in rear)
Needs 4 wheel alignment.
Clutch feels like it may need adjustment or replacement.
Shift coupling may need adjustment as well because it doesn't like to downshift into first when rolling.
Sunroof cables were replaced, but the tracks need adjustment or ??? because it doesn't open properly. Possibly another broken cable?!

Rennlist price is $14,000 - locally advertised for $15,000
+++
Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 PM
ccoleymd
Instructor

Default 82 911SC

I have a guards red 1982 SC that I am willing to sell. PM me for details.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I just looked at a bronze/tan leather 1978 SC Targa...very nice condish. A very slight oil leak on the right side...I believe the valve cover gasket may need replacing...a very slight bit of oil burning after heated up. Interior was mint, body excellent, 16 inch fuchs, updated tensioners (he claimed, not sure how to tell though), he was aking $14500 CDN $, certified.

BUT, no rear lapbelts...what year did the 911 start the rear lapbelts? I'd prefer to have them so my 7 and 4 year old boys can ride with daddy and mommy on a nice day.

Need more comments and advice please!

Many thanks.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Again, a PPI is essential. I'm pretty sure lap belts can be added- and with the top off, getting in the back of a targa is pretty easy (relatively speaking, of course!)

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

That is a fairly good deal for our market and he is only asking 14,500 selling these cars can be difficult so he may move from there even. that car did not come with rear belts but the bolt locations are in the car , I have the same car , bought a set of rears off ebay and bolted them in. Minor oil leaks are fairly typical. read Petes PPi at the top of our forum for starters under "what you need to know "
tensioners are easy to spot as they are smal metal oil lines that run down to the chain boxes towards the rear of the car when poping the deck lid and looking in. One goes down past the tin work.

a 78 requires no emision testing in Ontario but may be worth checking to see if there is a cat on it or not.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 423 Posts

I have rear seat belts if you need them..BTW
Old 07-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Default How nice is Too Nice???

You can buy my SC if the price is right...

58K and mint inside, outside and underneath...

That about sums it up... Oh, and here is a shot of my Carrera Oil Fed Chain Tensioners, in case you want to check out the "other" car...
Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From memory when I bought my SC back in 1993, I looked for the following:
*carrera chain tensioners
*pop-off valve on the airbox
*PPI - specifically leak-down & compression tests
*no rust!

Did I miss anything?

Good luck!
-B
Old 07-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Just a little advice on buying those cars. Try to buy something that is unmessed with,--never lowered, altered, etc. Also, something that has a papertrail. It's something that can give you an idea of previous owners(s)' care of the vehicle. Color should not be a leading factor at this stage (unless it's terrible!) Look for something that is wreck-free and unmolested. They are out there since Porsche made so many 911SCs over the years. Many will probably try to move you over to the 3.2 Carreras as the fuel injection part of those cars (hot wire) work better than the butterfly valves of the CIS cars. (Less moving parts) and there is a HP advantage. In today's marketplace there can easily be little to no difference in price between a 1978-1983 SC and a 1984-1989 Carrera when it's simply based upon conditon. As you probably know the oil-fed chain tensioner upgrade came in 1984 with the 3.2 engines. Any 911SC without that modification should probably be walked away from unless all other things are very clean. I never understood how SC owners would never part with $350 to update their tensioners. (It was truly the Achillies Heel of the 911 until then.) If an owner wouldn't part with $350 to retrofit this what other things did they not do? The electrical system will have to be gone through from front to rear. I'm talking about every connector. Start with the fuse box. By this time all those connectors are aged and intermittant electrical function could drive you nuts. Even the older style fuses are troublesome. (Porsche didn't introduce the newer fuse types into their cars until 1989 with the 964 cars).

Finally, take your time. Don't rush. Take along a friend who is a 911 expert.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Just a little advice on buying those cars. Try to buy something that is unmessed with,--never lowered, altered, etc. Also, something that has a papertrail. It's something that can give you an idea of previous owners(s)' care of the vehicle. Color should not be a leading factor at this stage (unless it's terrible!) Look for something that is wreck-free and unmolested. They are out there since Porsche made so many 911SCs over the years. Many will probably try to move you over to the 3.2 Carreras as the fuel injection part of those cars (hot wire) work better than the butterfly valves of the CIS cars. (Less moving parts) and there is a HP advantage. In today's marketplace there can easily be little to no difference in price between a 1978-1983 SC and a 1984-1989 Carrera when it's simply based upon conditon. As you probably know the oil-fed chain tensioner upgrade came in 1984 with the 3.2 engines. Any 911SC without that modification should probably be walked away from unless all other things are very clean. I never understood how SC owners would never part with $350 to update their tensioners. (It was truly the Achillies Heel of the 911 until then.) If an owner wouldn't part with $350 to retrofit this what other things did they not do? The electrical system will have to be gone through from front to rear. I'm talking about every connector. Start with the fuse box. By this time all those connectors are aged and intermittant electrical function could drive you nuts. Even the older style fuses are troublesome. (Porsche didn't introduce the newer fuse types into their cars until 1989 with the 964 cars).

Well, thanks for defining my SC, Dan! Now, the only remaining question is who is going to be the lucky new owner???
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

I guess it depends where you are also .... Rick is in Ontario

Rick if ytou could make it down to one of our GTGs I could show you what to watch for .. or even come down to my place in cambridge .. I could give you an entire education in a couple of hours ..
Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 PM
MikeB 81SC
Instructor

I will likely have an 81SC targa in Toronto up for sale this summer/fall

Its is a great car. Non-original colour. Mechanicals and engine are strong

Will likely be priced in the mid-high teens $CDN

Quick Reply: looking to buy 78-83 911....