Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:37 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Yep, my order from Rennsport Systems came in today, WOOHOO!

Got my new:
Bilstein HD's / Sports
Sander 29mm Hollow Rear T-Bars
Elephant 22.5mm Hollow Front T-Bars
Elephant Poly Bronze Bearings, Spring Plate & A-Arms
Sway Bar Bushings
Turbo Tie Rods Kit
Ball Joints
Strut Mounts

Already installed the drilled rotors all around, the front Chin Spoiler, and Steve's sending new pads which should be arriving tomorrow.

Got my new burgundy premium naugahyde front skins in this week too.

So, I'm pretty much tapped out now, but Baby's going to be ridin' / white & nerdy real soon!

Can't wait to see how tough the t-bar removal's going to be.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
M491
Racer

that's some serious **** right there
Old 06-21-2007, 04:16 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you dont mind my asking; how much did all that cost? I need the same order...
Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Nice!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

did you send the bill to the golf corse, or the lady at your office?...
Old 06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

RG -
Give Steve a call, he'll be happy to get you a quote for what you need. They aren't the lowest price in town, but his info & the time he took to go over what, why, how, what tools, & the offer for the phone support during install is worth any premium over discount places. Plus, you know you're getting a decently configured setup out of the box.

I'd also rather put dollar figures out after the whole thing's done - ride height, corner balancing & alignment, so it's a fair "real world" cost, even doing much myself. Then you can compare to a p-car shop giving you an estimate parts & labor, complete, & see if it's worth it for you to do the work yourself.

Doug -
lady at work will be a situation of seeing if there's an alternative here. The rear bumper guard can be replaced with a new one. Then there's the "old vs new" look; I'm looking into how much it would cost for repairing (if possible) & doing the work to both sides, so it's original and matching appearance. I'm also trying to find out if I can use '83 style guards instead of '84's, as they're half the price (2x new for < 1x new).
Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 PM
dsmith
Racer

who, i need that stuff, bad. try racing with a 24 year old stock suspension!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:54 AM
gunlover05
Racer

wow, i'm drooling....make sure you let us know the difference in ride/handling, etc...i've got an 85 stock suspension (well, i did do Turbo tie rods), but have been thinking about the others...keep us up to date on your progress!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can already tell you (since I did this several years ago), that the difference is simply going to be amazing! My car was transformed into a different animal. I don't think Steve carried everything back when I did mine, so I used his "free" advice extensively on my suspension, and purchased my 930 brake kit from him as gratitude. You're going to love it

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 510 Posts

Nice collection of goodies...did santa let Mrs. Santa know about these purchases?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Mrs. Santa was out of the loop a lot when I was running the side business working on the SHOs - it was all funny money for the car hobby, basically. Now that it's a memory, Mrs. S needs to be in the loop on everything.

Annual bonus at work covered this year's stuff.

FYI, I got a labor quote of 24 hours at a local German import shop doing the install of the parts above, at $45 / hr, including alignment / height / corner balance. Seems REALLY low. Since I have the week off during the 4th of July, I think I'll be doing the work myself anyway. Also since I'm avoiding using the plastic to pay for things, it'll be good to keep that in-house.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:31 PM
gunlover05
Racer

curious to know how many hours did they quote you for the whole job?? $45 sounds very reasonable, but if it was 30 hours, then....
Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 PM
jester911
Drifting

I have the shocks/struts and the turbo tie rods. I really need the tbar upgrade and the bushings. You may have some fun with tie rods. They can be a pita. Hopefully yours will go smoothly.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:56 PM
gunlover05
Racer

Originally Posted by jester911
You may have some fun with tie rods. They can be a pita. Hopefully yours will go smoothly.
I have to agree with that one....I spent a good 8 hours total installing my T-Tie rods....getting the old ones off - PIA....driver side off easy, passenger tough...not much room to manuever. I also pounded the passenger side strut-trod with a sledgehammer, to no avail...had to use heat and brace/beat that strut to loosen...overall, this job, I agree, was a real PIA....now that i've done it once, i could PROBABLY do it again easier, but i wished i would have paid for that job if it was reasonable $....

Oh and by the way, i was soo tired, I got forgetful and got back under my car without my safety glasses....was trying to stretch those spring bands over the rod boots with a flat screw driver and came within 1/2 inch of POKING MY EYE OUT! the screwdriver came lose and dug into my eyelid...i just got up and went in the house, really disgusted with my stupidity of not having my safety glasses on...lesson learned.

Quick Reply: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...