Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

(*^*&^%*(&^(&%!!! Careless drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (*^*&^%*(&^(&%!!! Careless drivers!

I park with the other managers at work away from the "general population", and away from the golf course next door. I have dealt with the hood dimples, the door dings, and the flat tires from idiot kids who stroll through the parking lot leaving glass bottles under peoples' tires to run over on my other POS cars over the 18 years I've been here.

Today, I get a call from a co-worker who parks about 3 cars down from me, clueing me in to the woman who parked next to me's leaving technique. We're nose in, upper left to lower right downhill behind us. She backs out, turning the wheels (right) to face uphill, and doesn't get clear of my car in the 3-point turn. Instead of making it a 5-pointer, she proceeds to rub my left rear bumper guard, and "pushed the car forward a foot" on her way out. She did not stop to look or let me know, just went for it.

DISCLAIMER: I AM BEING **** ABOUT THIS. I AM BEING A WHINY CRYBABY ABOUT THIS.

But then, I like to think I'm pretty **** about my Porsche.

The damage is slight. Had she come back in, let me know, something, I probably would have complained awhile, thrown my hands up, and in the end done nothing.

Questions: Anything non-obvious I should looking / listening for?
Pelican's got the replacement bumper guard for just under $400. Obviously with a $500 deductible, and a he said / she said situation (reluctant witnesses x2), it may indeed come down to "what next" instead of "cough up, lady".

I'll post pics in a few after re-sizing & a server reboot.

Edit: last one's to show I wasn't "crowding". She was to my right.

Last edited by 84_Carrera; 06-18-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Ron Dent
Track Day

I had a co-worker back out of their parking place and run the bumper the length of my car. Leaving dents in the front fender, door and rear quarterpanel
Old 06-18-2007, 06:20 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Obligatory Python Quote:

"Tis but a scratch!"
Old 06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steel wool it.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

forever black....automotion.com

it's a sponser
Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

hey isn't that rust on the plate!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Conekiller
Racer

I wouldn't worry about it but if you need a new one i have one available
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Hi Fred,

I agree with everyone who’s posted, it’s minor and you should be able to fix it up pretty easily yourself without too much cost.

I would however, very politely and without getting emotional, tell the person involved that you know she did this and that two people saw her and you are very disappointed that she did not come forward and tell you.

But then again she’ll just say, “Really? I didn’t know that I had touched your car.?”

I have 15 years of work experience that that has taught me ignorance is the most common excuse.

I still feel your pain. Sad thing is, when I imported my car from the US, I threw the entire US applicable bits in the trash. Including the rear bumper over riders.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 475 Posts

Id ring her neck..or at least envision myself doing it. Glad I don't have to worry about that stuff where I work.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
Steel wool it.
I know a place for that steel wool to go when you're done with it. It'll make her itch a logn time.

You're not being ****. Go off on her with mighty pipes. let her know her drivng "technique" is unacceptable.

it is my ndrstanding that those rubber pads are prety hard to come by in good shape.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

No you're not being **** and I am gald she did not damage any paint on your car.

Some drivers just don't care

Heck, I have a neigbor that just moved in that owns two Lexus' both about 3 years old with door dings and poor paint. He never washes or waxes the cars thinking it's a waste of time and thinks rain is enough to keep them clean.

John
Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
hey isn't that rust on the plate!
Yes, and I am seeing a significant amount of rust on the screws that hold the plate as well. It's too bad to let a car go like that...

Anyway, I live in the city and most people will bump your bumpers while parking. But if you have a Porsche, most people will won't even come close to touching it. This lady was wrong! I will bump someone to park only if both my car and the other cars have scratched up bumpers. Otherwise, if the bumpers are pristine or otherwise untouched, the rule is: don't touch.

Good news is that you don't have any marks/dents on your paint. All other suggestions about the repair are pretty good, so I can only add my wise-*** comments above
Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

And by the way, you are just as **** as most everybody on here. It's totally "normal."
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 475 Posts

I got a story for you.......

My wife drives a little mazda protege, (I hate the car and offered her a new rabbit or vovlo s40, but she doesnt care as much about cars as I do and would rather save he money, but anyways) she goes to pull into a spot at work and misjudges a brand new mercedes and bumps the rear fender, as a good person she is she walks inside and tells the girl who owns the car she bumped her car(good honest girl, thats why I married her, not for her driving skills), the girls walks outside and says ahh dont worry about it my uncle owns a body shop, she doesn't even get upset...lucky for me.....but I cant even imagine not caring about a car.....guess its just me...thats the kinda girl who drives by feel, a week later my wife tells me the front bumper of the new merc. is all messed up now.

Quick Reply: (*^*&^%*(&^(&%!!! Careless drivers!