Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Speeding ticket in NY State

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts
Default Speeding ticket in NY State

Okay so I got a speeding ticket on the weekend. I iwll not go into the events on a public forum but I was on the I-90 coming from Pensylvania .

My specific questions are so . ...

The "Client ID number " on the ticket is NOT correct ... ( the drivers liscence number ). Mine starts with Y6811- and the one on the ticket the officer wrote is Y66811-

all of the other information is correct , in The US can I fight a ticket based on this ?
aditionally does any one know of a traffic ticket service in the area I could ask or use if this is the case ? it was in Portland in Chautauqua County.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ice, ....if you know what I mean, i know some people who could pay a visit, it could be fixed.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Doug

More specifically I guess the quesion is " can the ticket be thrown out due to an error in this field. " ?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Great , gets even better..tried to call the prosecutor and they do not have one .. they just have a Judge and the cop. I tried to call the prosector and got a clerk , she said they could just correct the info and issue me a new ticket .. what's up wit that ?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

They generally won't throw them out on clerical errors. How bad was the infraction, and would this somehow show up on your Canadian license?
I think you have two choices: lawyer up (call the county bar assoc. there and try to find one), or just pay it (use "write-in mitigation" if they have it on there, might knock a few bucks off). If it's Sheriff Andy and Deputy Fife and the judge is his brother-in-law, you might want to just pay and chalk it up to experience.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

unfortunately NY state has an agreement with Ontario and it is a killer ticket... I can't even FIND a lawyer to help out in that area. I guess I will try my best but I always thought this type of error is grounds for dismissal in that there is reasonable doubt in that that is not even my license.
I really think this is winnable but I am not sure how to go about it . I DO NOT under any circumstances want to give them my correct number as this will get me for sure, even if I just pay the fine and get lost in the system would be good for me .. I think the thing to do right now though would be to plead not guilty to buy time till I can get some help.

Last edited by theiceman; 06-11-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ice, you're goin' down....
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I've got some customers that could sell you a false I.D. and I could send you some california plates. colored contacts also work. some hair dye...you do have hair? you could respray the car real quick and swap out the rims you got in PA last month...your good after that.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:00 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I think a judge might chuckle at your trying to invoke some kind of 'reasonable doubt' over such a straightforward error. I mean, if you're trying to suggest to him that the ticket was issued to someone else, then what are you doing fighting it?

Judges have a fair amount of latitude with these kinds of things. And at least in California, when you go in to challenge, and lose, they can increase the fine pretty significantly.

Is there any kind of traffic school program in the state you were ticketed in?

If that's not an option, and it's a serious ticket, I would try to get recommendations from Rennlisters (or Pelicanites) who are local to the court for a good lawyer.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer; I just get a lot of tickets.)
Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey ice

FWIW , my own limited experience has led me to a straightforward tactic here - get a lawyer - you only have one shot to beat it...I'd call the county bar association and ask for a referral for those lawyers who deal w/ traffic tickets - it'll cost you , but its your best chance for mitigation - its their game, let them play it....
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well That is the plan right now .. to fight . I ma not even go , just pay the fine based on this info ... they do not have my correct info , so I just send them the money and it hope the records do not make it here based on the fact they do not have my drivers license number.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, it's possible that the goofed number could help in terms of reciprocity agreements, especially between two different countries. My guess is that it'll get you, but there's a chance.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

well some good news for a change , thanks Jack , a chance , even a slim chance I will take ... I iwll speak toa lawyer and if he says there is not much chance I will quietly pay the fine and move on.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 475 Posts

iceman you have a PM
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I've been pulled over more than 35 times in my life. I have a completely clean record. This is what I do:

1.) Plead Not Guilty
2.) Go to court
3.) Be overly respectful in manners and responses to the judge. This sets him up.
4.) When it's your turn to argue, find some loophole to argue against. Sometimes it's "I wasn't even in the left lane, there was a different car passing me." Or, "I honestly wasn't speeding." Or, Radar guns are not 100% accurate, simple as that."
5.) Your arguments will fail 90% of the time, but because you took the time to come in and were respectful, the judge will allow probation or supervision.
6.) The catch to US-based supervision is that it is county-specific and last only 6-12 months. You have to be caught in the same county with a ticket to void the supervision, which is hard to accomplish if you're far from home.

Hope this helps. One time the judge wanted me to take classes, but I wiggled out of that one also by explaining that I don't even have a car in the city - this was just a rental.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket in NY State