Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Got rear ended on my way home from work...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:41 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rear ended on my way home from work...

Well...it finally happened. I knew it would too. As a person who drives his Porsche daily, I have seen too many close calls to think this would not happen. Sure enough, last night, as I was driving home from work (still daylight), I noticed the car behind me kept getting extremely close. Stop and go...two lanes, I could not get over. There was a slight surge in traffic, I moved forward and stopped again. Then I watched as he did not slow down enough and hit the back of my car. Truth be told, it was a love tap. Truly nothing, but enough to **** me off. I got out immediately. Looked at my car to make sure it was ok. Then told him to pull over to the right when we can and turn into the next street so we can look at things. Fortunately I was gesturing all of this as he apparently did not speak any english. When we pulled over and I got out, he got out with 4 of his friends. I checked my car again, this time more thoroughly. Sadly for me, No hablo español, so I could not undestand a word he was saying. I was rather irrate at this point and decided to just leave, since my car was fine.

My wife got home last night and I told her about it. She thinks I should have called the police and had them try to see if he had a license, registration, insurance etc. In hindsight, I suppose I should have done that, but I was so frustrated at the time. Ugh...at least my car is ok. Hopefully he does not hit someone else now though.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:01 PM
rentadate
Instructor

sorry to hear that. I've been on both ends of that road. I've rear ended people and I have been rear ended myself. Although I have never hit anything but ricers, I feel for ya. I someone ran into my Porsche I would be totally pissed off.

In the end you learn something. I do believe that you should of at least filed a report although there was no damage. Check carefully. It may look like there is no damage, but check again. Something may be out of place. It happened to me when I rear ended some jack *** on a cell phone not paying attention to where he was going. I bent the front of my mom's BMW on his Chrysler. Not enough to notice when it is dirty, but when clean it really shows up.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,087 Posts

If no damage to your car, then the price you paid was the frustration part. Truth be told, you got the best of the deal. Even calling the cops could alert your insurance company of the issue. I've seen rates go up for non-insured accidents that weren't your own fault. Even if the other driver had the best insurance policy on earth, you would still have to fight for getting it covered correctly, with diminished value, and even then, your car would never be the same.

IMO, you are lucky and should be pleased . If you don't believe me, go to the 996 forums and read all the horror stories about dealers and crashes...
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky you. No damage, and they didn't beat the crap out of you, which is what it sounded like was possible. LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I was expecting the worst when I started reading you're post, glad it was very minor.

I've been hit by an Illegal three times already this year, one has a hard hit in my Jetta while I was stopped at a light for a good 30 seconds- no damage at least (none in the Porsche)

My co-worker has gotten hit twice by an Illegal and twice the drivers tried to run. Ist time he was sitting in his car in a parking lot & got side-swiped and the second time the car in front of him took off in reverse when the light turned green

Then today a drunk Illegal in stolen SUV crossed the median on I-40 and hit two other cars killing one driver on impact and injuring the driver of the second car. He had fake ID and multiple licenses

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1472083/

Sorry, I had to vent

John
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Jeremy,

Glad the damage wasn't too bad!

James
Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

in 1986 I was sitting at a light on my way to school when I heard a loud crash that sounded close but didn't involve me. A split second later my 1964 barracuda and I were going at light speed into the car in front of me. My 340 c.i. with high rise manifold, hooker headers, 850 holly and ram rod were a total loss. I was ready to kill and went screaming back to the '68 mustang that hit me only to find a blonde bombshell girl that was in my auto shop class. couldn't kill her. then I remembered she had been hit so I marched back to the next car. It was an old lady and I couldn't kill her either. So in desperation I walked to the curb, went into shock and woke up that night in the hospital. I got almost $7,000 for my $1,500 car. the killer part......10 years later my wife became best friends with the blonde bombshell. pissed me off just thinking about it.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey jezza,

as you said, at least the car is ok

jeremy
Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Glad there's no damage Jeremy, the way people tail gate me in my car i'm sure I'll be posting a similar story one day.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Thanks for the kind words all...yeah I was lucky that there was no damage or injuries. Just watch your tail end out there guys!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:31 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Jeremy: Yeah, I think you're lucky... especially since you're not hurt. But did the bumper shocks compress? They aren't cheap to replace, and they'll exceed the $500.00 in repairs that many states require you to report in an accident.

As for the guys not speaking English: If you would have said "I'm calling the police on my cell phone since I don't understand Spanish" you'd be surprised at how fast the guys can/will learn the language! "No speakie English? How convenient....."
Old 06-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you only have to say imigaration one time and you own them.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:25 PM
JamesR
Intermediate

Hey Jeremy,
I live in NE Georgia and I understand about the no hablo espanol thing. While the
crime rate is still low here, I always carry my model 36 Glock when driving an
for sure if I'm in my 88 Carrera. Just a little insurance if you know what I mean.
"Walk softly, carry a big stick"
JamesR
Old 06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
JamesR
Intermediate

Hey Jeremy,
I live in NE Georgia and I understand about the no hablo espanol thing. While the
crime rate is still low here, I always carry my model 36 Glock when driving an
for sure if I'm in my 88 Carrera. Just a little insurance if you know what I mean.
"Walk softly, carry a big stick"
JamesR
Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I live in Boulder Colorado. I have to make sure my car is in plain sight of either me or a security camera just because of all the hippie-meth-heads in this damn town. I dislike stoners because they always break into your car, steal your stuff and then buy what they want with it.

Don't live near stoners.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended on my way home from work...