Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Numbers and new pictures for 66 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 PM
brakinglate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numbers and new pictures for 66 911

More information provided..Im being drip fed, so sorry bout that, but this is kinda fascinating too, this is my latest tidbit, any ideas on price ranges as well ??

"The driver door plate read: Made in West Germany
Karosserie
No. 304010
Kunstharzlack
Forbton 6604

Under bonnet read: Fahrgestell- Nr
GVW 1400"
Attached Images      
Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 PM
brakinglate
Racer

Oh and in case this was a problem, I paid my membership tonite...thx to all of you incredibly knowledgeable nuts
Old 05-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

You are looking to buy this car, I take it? I'd want detailed pics of the luggage compartment w/ the carpet peeled back, the suspension pan, the rockers, etc. These cars like to rust. Of course you can cover these areas w/ undecoating, so if you get to the point where you go and look at it, bring your icepick! Also try and get clearer pics, those look like file photos from the '70s.

I just read your other thread about the car, and Pete's comments, lol! I agree w/ him about the fit of the hood and if you squint you can see the old paint behind the horn grilles (probably wouldn't have noticed that if Pete hadn't mentioned it! Oh yeah and the wipers are not only parked on the wrong side, they are switched as well (the bent arm goes on the passenger side, straight one on the driver's side, I see this all the time!).

The carbs are definitely Webers, not Solexes like most of the early '66s came with originally. My info says from Feb of '66 the factory put in Webers. This is not a bad thing, since the Solexes are infamous for having a flat spot. I have personally never messed w/ em, but the founder of my shop who remembers em from new says you can tune the flat spot out if you know what you're doing, but w/ the Webers parts and jets and knowledgeable tuners are more readily available . . . .

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

---Chris A.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Note the rust present in front of the ID Plate...

Then multiply this by a factor of 10 to determine how much rust is underneath all that shiny new paint!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Like Chris said, the photos just aren't good enough. I can't tell if that's rust near the ID plate, or if it's that brown, sticky, metal preservative gak. The car was probably born with Webers, it's VIN seems to be late enough, but if you can get the engine number we could tell for sure. The wipers should park on the passenger side on a '66, so that's OK. Looking at the inside of the doors is cause for some concern. After 911s are painted a section of the door, all the way around the upholstered door panel, must be taped off and blacked out. This is so you can't see body color when seated inside with the door closed. Oversight? Cheapie paint job? Don't know. The "S" bumper trim does not look right when you compare it to the early style rocker deco trim. Other indicators of lousy paint are (1) the bad install of the license plate panel to engine lid seal (one of the two isn't even there), (2) the overspray on the engine lid hinges, and (3) the overspray on the engine compartment insulation pad. When there are problems that obvious there are sure to be more!

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 05-18-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Here are a couple other tid bits. The seat bottoms don't have the dimples in them that should be there. So, they were repaded and they didn't bother to put back in the cords that pull those spots down. The rear engine compartment opening should have more gold stickers on them. Of course, you could simply buy those stickers from the various suppliers. It's just that someone didn't bother.

Not big items. The car can still have lots going for it.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Oh, and I think the front badge is not original. It might still be a new OEM one. It's just not the original one. Admittedly, mine has a new OEM one on it too. My original one is safely put away.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:03 PM
brakinglate
Racer

Default More data coming soon

Hey guys, wow you have some much info floating around in your grey matter I am in total awe of you all. I havent had a chance to see it yet and take my own photos , but now Im going with some truly extroadinary data to start with..thankyou , thankyou.

On another note, I got to drive my 911e for the first real time today, its a 73, and I'm going to take extensive photos and put it up here for perusal. It sure is preppy to drive, the gearbox is a touch..well...vw kombi van compared to both the 968,997 or rsamerica, but its also viceral...It's like riding a bicycle in comparison, you feel engaged with teh scenery and the road, no airconditioning on a hot florida day adds to it I guess......But it's just lovely, I'm so happy I got it...I have the original window sticler and invoice which I will scan and post in a weeks time after some travel I have to do. But under 10k new fully optioned !!!!!!

On a final note I am travelling to California on business tommorow and I will be in Sacremento area, and South to San Francisco..I have 3 days to drive and relax, any tips on dealers to visit who may have vintage porsches....I am visiting Silicon Valley and go up through San Fran and the eastish towards Sacremento, I am looking for early 911's, 356's and a 993..

Thx all
Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 PM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

I had a '66 912....

Get it up on a lift and check the the suspension components (and their attachment points) for rust.

While in CA, check out EASY Porsche in Emeryville. (Harlan St)

Quick Reply: Numbers and new pictures for 66 911