Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:33 PM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do first? (pics added)

Hi All-

I brought my new (to me) baby home yesterday: an 88 Targa

Mechanically (engine-wise, at least) it's great. Gene Kirschner at Autohaus in NJ got her running smoothly. I thought it would need an engine rebuild, but injector #2 just need replacement, along with a tune up. (plugs, wires, etc) The NJ-VA drive yesterday was uneventful....beautiful day.

But...cosmetically it needs plenty.

Stopped by Dan P's place in central NJ to drop off the targa top for restoration.

Paint is oxidixed (but not beyond hope), Fuchs look like crap, carpet needs "rejuvenation," door and window seals look iffy, probably needs new seats, can't get the radio to work, driver's side window is intermittent, targa bar cover faded....I think that covers the basics.

Where to start? Is there a preferred "order of battle." I doesn't make sense to worry about the paint until I'm done banging around with everything else, right?

I was thinking about starting with the targa bar and the front targa bar seal and then moving on to the wheels, and then taking out the carpet, shampooing, and then hitting 'em with some rit dye.

Also, I'll change the trans fluid, as its vintage is unknown.

Thoughts?

Last edited by NoVaGator; 05-16-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no blueprint on where to start. I suggest you do whatever it takes to seal off water first especially if it will be out very much, i.e., windshield seals, Targa top seals. Change all fluids and make sure the tires are good. The rest will fall into place and I agree with you....the paint will be OK for awhile.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Mechanicals first, cosmetics second.

Get it running good, take care of the fluids, then start on your other list. I agree, if the top leaks, then deal with that, but only if you are using it daily. Many Targa owners don't worry about it since they rarely leave the tops on, just depends on how you plan on using it.

If you go through the troble of removing the carpets, then think about about replacing with new carpet...old carpet does not look new again, ever...new carpet is not that expensive. Kind of like starting from the bottom up... BTW, the stock stereos suck pretty much, so don't worry about that....
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
skeogh
AutoX

I am relatively new to my 88 Targa and one of the first and best pieces of advice was checking out Pelican Parts for replacement parts. Mine is pretty well mint but there were still a few seals, emblems and interior parts that I could get to make the car near perfect.

Because my car was cosmetically great, I focused on mechanical....fluids, alignment, tires, oil tubes...even got the AC working that upon reflection might have been a waste of $$$....but it work now..(kind of)

I can't believe how much I love this car.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=project

The above link shows everyhting i did to give you a few ideas. no particular order.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:25 PM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theiceman
The above link shows everyhting i did to give you a few ideas. no particular order.
wow, that's a comprehensive list.

I had added front targa top seal to my list, but now I see that the new seals require modification....

I'm also going to rebuild the calipers all around and possibly replace rotors. Do brake lines while I'm in there of course.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

good plan .....

I did all the brakes then decided to replace the lines...... doh !!!! ..

and if you are doing the rotors..allmost should repack if not replace the wheel bearings.

and since you are in their may as well do the tie rods if they have not been updated to the turbos.. and check the front sway bar bushings ....... and on .. and on .... but it is all fun ...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

safety items like new rubber brake hoses, insp. of seals & dust boots and any suspension work (and your susp.'s rubber parts are getting old no matter what mileae is on the car) should ALWAYS come first. THis may help:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...54#post2955054
Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Folks,

With all of the knowledgeable folks on this forum I'm astounded AND ashamed that NO ONE answered the 'where do I start/preferred order of battle' question correctly. Newbies all... ;-)

Good God Man, CONTACT YOUR BANKER! ... ALWAYS Step One!

Barry
Who couldn't resist... ;-)
Old 05-15-2007, 07:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I actualy started at the front and worked back .. windshield washer motor, headlight washer , headlight washer mototr, front sway bar bushings , tie rods, front shocks etc.....
Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

I second the idea of mechanics first (and of course if they are fine) then move on to the seals. You don't want the water getting in there...unless you keep it garaged and only take it out on the nice days anyway. I will be replacing all of my seals by the end of this summer. Brakes of course are very important too!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey Jeremy how is your car running by the way

I remember you had a couple osf issues with mechanics ... everything sorted now ?

I guess you and James are the experts now .
Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Hey Iceman! James is certainly the expert, I am just a wannabe!

The car is doing ok...still a couple of issues. I think my mixture is off as I still have a surging problem even after replacing "all" of my fuel injectors, fuel distributor, fuel lines, etc. I explained it to John Walker here in Seattle and this is what he suspected as well. The other issue I am having, and I swear I have read about this here on Rennlist, is that as it gets warmer outside, my car is having a harder time starting. I drove about 21 miles into downtown Seattle today. Went to a two hour lunch and when I got back to the parking garage, it did not want to start up. This only happens on hot days. I don't mean to hijack this thread...but you asked! I am also going to be working on fixing my automatic windows, as they don't roll down! Can you say hot?! Even with the top off!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Wow sounds like you need to start a thread
Old 05-16-2007, 10:39 AM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

The interior is quite nice (except the seats)....everything works except the original radio.

Shiny spot is where I check to see if the paint would be salvagable

Quick Reply: What to do first? (pics added)