Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet that paint can be saved. Take care of the guts of the car first (engine, brakes, tranny, etc.). But something fun you could start doing is buffing and polishing the paint to see what you can get back. I think you'll be happy with the results. Get some agressive poslish and start playing around and see what you can get.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, from the look of your pics, your paint will be just fine. You can most likely easily buff out the oxidation. I have a place I have taken mine to up here in Washington, and it is simply amazing what they can buff out.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
Wow sounds like you need to start a thread
Yep...I will today hopefully.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

the white spots on the hood are "droppings" from a garage ceiling...apparently, it was that white powdery substance that you sometime see leaching out of wet concrete.

it suspect it was either very base or very acid...the white "stains" go quite deep.....we'll see how just how deep...I got a Porter Cable orbital and the necessary compounds.

I have a older 4Runner than has very oxidized paint which has never mattered since it's just a hunting truck - but I'm going to use that paint as my laboratory to get the hang of this orbital.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I don't use orbitals for buffing things on. I use a regular multi-speed polisher/grinder. I swapped out the grinding plate for a 3M polishing pad that paint places use. I also use 3M on their restoration compounds. Pay a little $ up front but it turns out better. I admit I haven't used it on my targa due to: a.) no clear coat at a mile high and b.) its getting ground down to the metal and rebuilt on the 26th, so I could care less at this point. Back when I had my BMW that I myself painted in my TEC class of senior year, I used that thing when the car was freshly painted to "smooth" out any imperfections. worked great. Try that.

I mostly used the rubbing compound then I moved on to the finesse-it compound. After that, we used some kind of "special" (not that I think it made any difference), wax of some kind. I can't remember the stuff, but it came in an orange canister.

Also if you use a machine, be sure to tape and paper over any places you don't want compound, cause that stuff is a bitch to get off.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

she looks great! now is when you remember that stock is good. the sterio may be loose wires. just clear out a spot in the garage and do one little thing at a time. don't rip it all apart. q-tips and fantastic is all that is required to restore this one. go slow. resist the temptation to "upgrade", that isn't all it's cracked up to be.

a new K&N air filter and fab speed airbox never hurts.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Don't neglect the Fuchs. If the anodizing will clean up, a simple spray of the black will do wonders. Rustoleum 7777 if I recall. If your hand is steady, you can even paint the crests with some Testors.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

So I took the PC to a small section:

This is only one pass with Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and a clay bar.

I think this will be just fine
Old 05-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by skeogh
I am relatively new to my 88 Targa and one of the first and best pieces of advice was checking out Pelican Parts for replacement parts.
Pelican isn't the only place to shop, thank goodness. Zim's, Performance Products, http://www.gprparts.com/ are all worth checking out. Prices can be all over the map, part to part, so a wise shopper will know what he's looking for and what market value is.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

The PC buffer is outstanding , now it is just a matter of pads and chemicals

good luck ..
Old 05-18-2007, 12:55 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the wheels still have their anodized-finish lip intact, try plain old vasoline before anything else more severe...wakes them right up. (Clean them conventionally first, then apply coat of vasoline...wait vernight and buff off with clean terry.) If the black is faded or chipped up, satin black is great (Wurth, NAPA, whatever).

For the paint, after cleaning and claying the finish, try 3M Finesse-It 2 with a random orbital. The oxidation should come right off. I'd then top with Meguires Mirror Glaze #9, and finally Zymol Carbon Wax.

If you didn't have Gene do the brake fluid, I'd do that ASAP as well. I'd use ATE Type 200 (basically super blue w/out the blue dye). Flush the system good. If pads and rotors are worn, replace as well. While in there, check brake lines. If you end up doing rotors, new wheel bearings in front will be part of the deal (I'd recommend those anyway...cheap on a 911).

Replace air filter with new (stock) one. no need for K&N or anything like that.

Since it is an '88, check tires for wear and/or dryrot.

Enjoy the car! Once you get that red beauty all shined up for summer, it will be hard to stop driving it! Good luck!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:11 AM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
If the wheels still have their anodized-finish lip intact, try plain old vasoline before anything else more severe...wakes them right up. (Clean them conventionally first, then apply coat of vasoline...wait vernight and buff off with clean terry.) If the black is faded or chipped up, satin black is great (Wurth, NAPA, whatever).
That's the plan...

For the paint, after cleaning and claying the finish, try 3M Finesse-It 2 with a random orbital. The oxidation should come right off. I'd then top with Meguires Mirror Glaze #9, and finally Zymol Carbon Wax.
this Poorboy's stuff has been working pretty well...I'm going to use their SSR 1 next, and then one of their waxes.

If you didn't have Gene do the brake fluid, I'd do that ASAP as well. I'd use ATE Type 200 (basically super blue w/out the blue dye). Flush the system good. If pads and rotors are worn, replace as well. While in there, check brake lines. If you end up doing rotors, new wheel bearings in front will be part of the deal (I'd recommend those anyway...cheap on a 911).
also part of the plan....depending on how the rotors measure, I'll replace them. And if I'm taking them off, I'll do bearings too. I have the lines, pads and caliper rebuild kit sitting on my shop bench. All I need is time, and a bunch of it.

I did the transmission fluid with M1 last night.

Replace air filter with new (stock) one. no need for K&N or anything like that
done

Since it is an '88, check tires for wear and/or dryrot.
They need replacement for sure. They have plenty of tread, but dryrot too. If I can't resurrect the wheels, I'm going to send them to whasthisface in Cali for refinishing. I'll have new tires mounted after that.

Enjoy the car! Once you get that red beauty all shined up for summer, it will be hard to stop driving it! Good luck!
thanks!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 AM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

Oh, on the wheel lips....anyone use Neverdull with good results?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

novagator, I used Neverdull on my polished lips and it worked OK. I think it would be ok to use it on Anodized lips, but try it in an isolated area of the wheel to see what it does.

Quick Reply: What to do first? (pics added)