Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Suprise! My 3.2 would not start this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suprise! My 3.2 would not start this morning!

I've had my 3.2 for about two years and I drive it once or twice a week (since I now have three young kids). Shortly after I bought it, it seemed to "cut out" and occasionally had trouble starting so you guys on this forum suggested I replace the DME on it. Wham! Fixed for good until today!

It is normal for it the DME to go out again in such a short time? You guys recommend I get two new DME's but I only got one thinking that the first one lasted almost 20years (it's an '86).

Anyway... do you guys have any ideas? BTW - the motor turned over very well (like it always has) - just no fire. Yes, there is gas in it. The car has 140K, is basically stock with Steve Wong chip and has been very reliable. Help!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:15 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're talking about the DME relay right? Even a new one can go bad (probably made in China crap), so try one that you "know" to be good and then keep a "good" spare handy...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-10-2007, 03:21 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd test the batt anyway, or try jump-starting to confirm the batt is completely healthy (despite having the juice to turn over the starter).
Old 05-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Yes - I mean the DME relay. The small black square piece that lives under the drivers seat. I got the last one from the local P-dealer (Bellevue WA) so I'm not sure if they would get theirs form China... would they?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Pull a spark plug wire and connect it to a new plug and good ground. See if you have spark.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:43 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joel Lester
Yes - I mean the DME relay. The small black square piece that lives under the drivers seat. I got the last one from the local P-dealer (Bellevue WA) so I'm not sure if they would get theirs form China... would they?
It might even say Bosch, but check the label . I know that some of the relays I've sourced from Pelican (OEM) are "Made in China".
Old 05-10-2007, 06:49 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Replaced the relay since it's cheap but in my case the same symptoms were due to a broken solder joint in the DME unit itself which would sporadically disconnect. There's a good thread about it on Pelican but the same issue may be addressed here as well. BTW, it is VERY hard to see but I managed to find it and fix it myself. Park Place Porsche wanted $1,600 for a new one plus installation, on top of the $150 they'd charged me to try and guess what was wrong.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:10 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Following up on the above, if the DME itself is suspect, you know anyone with a 'good' DME that you could swap in and try? Try inquiring over on Pelican also if you think that may be it.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-11-2007, 11:36 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DME relays are seldom from Germany any more, if at all. As stated, some are produced in China and the one's I bought are from Hungary. I guess they could come from just about anywhere. I second borrowing a DME relay from a friend. When mine went out, that's what I did. After confirming the thing was bad, I bought two, one was installed and one is in the glove box as a spare. If you do have spark and another relay doesn't help, make sure you are getting fuel through the filter to the fuel rails, injectors, etc. If thats not the problem, maybe the DME itself may be bad. This is also where a friend can help...try using his. It's a cheap way to validate a problem and won't hurt his parts either.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
nineoneone
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just repaired mine by taking it out and soldiering the broken welds. Worked great. Push the seat back as far as it will go and pull the relay out so you can see it. Put your hand on it and turn the key to start but don't start it, you should feel the contacts click.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 PM
DonMo
Advanced

I have been chasing the same gremlin. I had a bunch of cold solder problems that a magnifying glass and a soldering iron fixed. I used my garage refridgerator to help. I put the brain in the refer for 15 minutes to pretend it was winter time and then put it in the car. Car started right up. Told me it was brain. I am now chasing a heat fatique component issue.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Joel,

Try replacing the DME again. I sold you the last one, unfortuatulty I am no longer at Barrier. But I do know its a item that they stock regularly. Try that and see what happens

brandon J
Old 05-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

I got the new DME from Pelican (cost $33 instead of $54) - and yes I got two this time. Unfortunately... no luck! So, as advised, I checked for spark and there was none! What next? Any ideas? I will try the coil and check fuses when I get home.

Do you guys know of any weak points or other likely sources as to why my Porsche won't start?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Being you are still not getting any spark, I would think that the problem could be with the speed/ reference sensors. The only time it would have the no start problem is if was cold outside. I heated mine with a blow dryer and the car fired right up. I then replaced both sensors. Both of those sensors are the same part number, and if you find one to be bad, you might as well and go ahead replace both of them, being it is just as much trouble to replace just one of them. You can try to test them with a meter, but a scope would work better in order to read the sine wave. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Excellent! I was reading the Bentley "bible" and it did mention these sensors are a place to check/test. Where the heck are they? from the looks of it (the pictures) they seem to be sensing off off the flywheel? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Joel

Quick Reply: Suprise! My 3.2 would not start this morning!