Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Added new Yokohama AVS ES100 - Now car is all over the road! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added new Yokohama AVS ES100 - Now car is all over the road! Help?

OK. I thought Yokohama AVS ES100's were supposed to be great tires. I just had some installed and now my car is all over the road. If feels like a boat that is not connected to the road. It's actually dangerous.

Perhaps though the problem lies elsewhere. Here is what I did.

Car is 86 Targa
All four wheels are stock Fuchs (6" front and 7" rear)
I added two new Yokos to the rear wheels - size 225 50 / 16 (stock size)
Rear has 3/4" spacers which pushed the wheels out beautifully but not too much
The front tires are the Pirelli P7000s that were on the car already
Front has 5 mm spacers

I was going to replace the fronts in a few days with matching Yokos AVS ES100 in 205 55 / 16, but stopped once I drove the car!

The car right now is literally all over the road and the sidewalls of both front and back feel like marshmallows when driving. If I make a move on the highway, the car starts wobbling side to side on what feels like loose sidewalls.

I did not have this problem when I had the four Pirellis.

I have read so many good reviews about the AVS ES100 that I am reluctant to place blame on the new tires... so could it be something else?

Could the problem be linked to the spacers?
Could it be the currently mismatched tires front and rear?
Or are the AVS 100's crap when it comes to sidewall rigidity and stability?

Something is definitely not right and I am afraid to drive the car. I am either going to return the Yokohamas and buy four new tires or add the matching Yokos to the front.

PS> I like immediate steering response from stiff sidewalls and don't care about driving comfort.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Marc
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd wonder if the problem is mismatched tires or underinflated tires. Both could make the car a handful. I've been told mismatched tires can be a real problem with these cars.

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never used the es100's but i've heard that they are a good performance tire for the price, but they are no where near as good as the newer performance tires. I would suggest MPS2 and Yokohama Advan Neova AD07, as the best overall tires, but there pricey. The Khumo MX, and Falken Azenis 615 are just as good in the dry, but aren't as quiet or good in the rain.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcabc
I'd wonder if the problem is mismatched tires or underinflated tires. Both could make the car a handful. I've been told mismatched tires can be a real problem with these cars.
+1

tyre pressures could be over inflated for that matter

was it raining when you drove it?

is the rear end or front end the problem?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Real
Instructor

Default Sloppy feel

Hey Marc,

I have an '86 Cab. and this past year I purchased new tires for the rear of my car (255/45/ZR17) and had the same exact experience!!! I posted a thread here similar to yours..... My car is lowered to Euro specs, oversized t-bars, and low profile tires (I like the handling also and am not too concerned about the stiff ride). I also have spacers on 17" cups. I wouldn't take the tires back just yet. I was told on a thread I posted that you should (1) replace all four at the same time. Also, you (2) shouldn't mix & match brands. Additionally, (3) one might see a change in the "new tire feel" after some miles are on them. All valid points but the 3rd is the one I found to be true. As you said...it was the strangest thing and I was also concerned to drive it BUT as I did drive it more and more the issue seemed to subside. To be quite frank with you...I just don't get it but the feel now is great. It did take about 100 miles but all seemed to settle right into place on my car.

I personally think you should wait and see what other responses you get here and then make a decision as to what direction to go in. I got several responses from others who knew what I was talking about so you're not alone. Incidentally, I switched away from the Yokahama's so I don't think it's the tire...I had good luck with the brand.

Best of luck to you friend,
Real
Old 03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I would guess the problem is a tire mismatch and lack of alignment. Same thing happened to my friend's Toyota.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

I had this EXACT issue on my 944 when I put on new bridgestones once, don't remember which ones. I went to pass a car on a two lane highway and almost lost my car because as I darted out to pass it felt like my car was leaving the road. I was told that it is the lubricant in the moulding that can cause this also as stated above, and it did say so on the tire sticker. I was not satisfied so I went back to bridgestone and had them put on S02s. funny thing , they were great right out of the box...

ice
Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Hi guys. Thanks for the quick responses!

Here are some answers.

Problem is the same in wet and dry.
Tires are properly inflated.
The problem appears in both the front and the rear, but especially the front which is straying all over the place. These are the old tires which were actually in the rear of the car orignally Previous owner had incorrect tire size in the rear (205 instead of 225).

You guys seem to support what I have read about Yoko Advan ES 100's they are a good tire for the money so I am starting to think it really is the mismatch.

Oh and one more thing. I should have mentioned this in my first post. One of the rear sway bar mounts is broken. I will have that corrected very soon. HOWEVER, it was broken when I had the Pirellis on and the car handled quite well. It certainly did not stray all over the road.

QUESTION: Could new tires and wheel spacers that increase rear track bring out a handling issue with the broken mount that I did not notice before with skinny tires and no spacers?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
DARISC
Racer

The mold release agent on mine made the tires REAL slippery until it wore off (daily driver, didn't take all that long). After that they've been very satisfactory on the street (I don't track the car), am getting better tread wear than I'd ever have guessed I would and will buy 4 more when these are done (just over $400 as I recall).
Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,131 Likes on 809 Posts

The sway bar issue will definitely increase the problem ...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

it takes a couple hundred miles for tires to wear in, heat cycle, and wear the casting waxes off, they are slippery untill then
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove one 911 with mismatched front and rears. It was a nightmare...

I'd suggest putting a fresh set of 100's on the front, then going for a spin to see what happens. Then, fix that sway bar and get the car aligned and see where you're at then.

Fresh tires also have full tread depth and are susceptible to a bit more tire squirm than a worn down pair. However, you shouldn't have dangerous handling conditions even with fresh rubber...

I would think with Florida's climate that you should be O.K. all year 'round. Some of these '3 season' tires are like hard plastic when temps drop below 40-45 degrees...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 AM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Thanks guys:

It sounds like a combination of mismatch and "slippery stuff". I will add the fronts and have the sway bar mount fixed...then I think I might have to sell the old girl for cheap.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Its the mismatch. BTDT, sooooooooooo many times.

For the past 20+ years, I've made it a practice to replace all 4 tires on any 911 to prevent this. These cars are, ahem,...a little different from others so what might work on a FWD or front engine RWD car doesn't work on a 911.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

Marcandkimmie, I have been comtemplating installing 3/4" spacers....do you have a picture and do you know the length of the wheel studs needed?
I have AVS 100's and I really like them. I had Potenza's and they were good, too....but I like the AVS better.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Added new Yokohama AVS ES100 - Now car is all over the road! Help?