Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steve Wong Chip (more praise)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007 | 11:35 AM
Chris57
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steve Wong Chip (more praise)

More praise for steve wong. I installed two of his 911 Chips in Carrera's in the last couple of weeks. I installed one in my 1985 and the car seemed to run horrible. I emailed him immediately with questions. He emailed immediately back and said he would ship another one the next day. I asked him to hold off as I was going to either put back the stock chip or install a chipped ecu from another car. After a few minutes I emailed him back and said good news, the car still runs like crap. Turns out I had a bad cylinder head temp sensor, replaced with new unit and car runs fabulous. You can tell right when you start the car that it runs better than stock. much crisper and smoother off idle. After installing cat bypass and sport muffler I had popping on decel. It is totally gone and car pulls smooth and strong through the rpm range.

If you are on the fence about using his chips come down go to your computer and order one now, you will only smile when your done.
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:46 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris, you just moved me off the fence...will call this a.m.
gracias
Frank
Old 01-22-2007 | 12:03 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Read this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/325841-performance-chips-on-e-bay.html

It provides insights about problematic chip issues.
Old 01-22-2007 | 02:01 PM
gunlover05
Racer

I will second a "harummff" for SW chips....did the exact same config (85 w/cat bypass, sport muff) and absolutely love it.....better response @ low/mid range, idles better too...
Old 01-22-2007 | 06:37 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

I also noticed significantly better drivability when I installed mine last year. No negatives - no detonation. My engine has 248,000 miles 15k of which are on the new chip. No problems whatsoever.
Old 01-22-2007 | 08:15 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

I spoke with Steve today, ordered chip ,and it, hopefully, will be installed in the beasty Friday. That is, as soon as I tell him 24/28 PIN, asked the guys at Swiss Garage to pull existing chip and tell me the pin count....they came back with 35. I hope this is just a hiccup in communication and not idicitive of what the service will be like......
Old 01-22-2007 | 08:33 PM
joey c
Pro

loren,are you against chips..j
Old 01-22-2007 | 09:25 PM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quoted by Joey c
"loren,are you against chips..j"

ROFLMAO
That's an understatement. That said I am another very satisfied customer of SteveW. My car had a chip in it since 1992 (Authothority) and the SteveW chip in 2003. I did a rebuild due to 2 broken head studs. The engine was in great shape with no signs of any problems because of the use of a chip. And Porsche engineers programed a more aggressive chip for the 88-89 Carrera's than they used in the earlier Carrera's to the tune of 10-15 hp more. Hmm, even Porsche got more hp from changing the chip.
Old 01-22-2007 | 09:37 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anybody done dyno runs with chip/exhaust intake?
Old 01-22-2007 | 10:23 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having observed (& commented upon) this topic for years, I'd like to suggest that the newly curious use the search function (wherein much is revealed, inc dyno results) & visit the relevant sites (Steve's & Loren's, among others) in order to bring themselves up to date - given that our cars are going on 2 decades old, there is a huge amount of knowledge already in the bank.

That way, we may all learn from anything new, rather than regurgitating the old. There are two sides (at least) to every issue, esp complex ones. I am impressed with the way Loren has handled it on this thread (as I am w/ his expertise), & as I am with the results many have achieved with chip / fuel / exhaust tuning on our early DME 3.2 motors. cheers!
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:35 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ked
Having observed (& commented upon) this topic for years, I'd like to suggest that the newly curious use the search function (wherein much is revealed, inc dyno results) & visit the relevant sites (Steve's & Loren's, among others) in order to bring themselves up to date - given that our cars are going on 2 decades old, there is a huge amount of knowledge already in the bank.

That way, we may all learn from anything new, rather than regurgitating the old. There are two sides (at least) to every issue, esp complex ones. I am impressed with the way Loren has handled it on this thread (as I am w/ his expertise), & as I am with the results many have achieved with chip / fuel / exhaust tuning on our early DME 3.2 motors. cheers!
Not sure about the rest of you, but one of the reasons I joined Rennlist was for the opportunity to jaw about Porsches with other people with the same notion....if I wanted a search engine, well, Google is free. Personally, if I don't like what the topic is, I skip it. That way, Im sure not to regurg.
Old 01-23-2007 | 12:14 AM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Loaded
has anybody done dyno runs with chip/exhaust intake?

Yes. Steve Wong's site (911chips.com) has many dyno runs with various configurations.

no affiliation
Old 01-23-2007 | 12:29 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"No negatives - no detonation."

Right, and all detonation is audible???? Please!
Wait for the hot weather when climbing a hill under a heavy load with marginal octane.
That's why Porsche used knock sensors on all later Porsches after the 3.2,
i.e. It allowed further tweaking to maximize performance & not just "pushing" the
timing to the edge without a margin of safety as is the case for ALL performance chips.

Here's what all ignore:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=Broken+Rings

Bottomline: It's always the ones who follow the "herd" that buy into the hype.
And then there're those that get "taken" further into buying a custom chip for a
stock engine, right!
Old 01-23-2007 | 03:18 AM
Chris57
Intermediate

Loren, I believe there is quite a difference between the 1985 carrera US dme And a 1985 euro dme. In the 1980's One improvement to make to your car was to swap to a euro dme and cat bypass, that was readily available from many parts importers. Are you saying there is no improvement to be made to us dme cars with respect to their ignition and fuel maps? I guess my next question is do you think the claims that 911 chips makes about their products are false? Are you saying the improvements people feel in their cars is false? No not all detonation can be heard, but are you saying that all chipped cars are suffering from engine damaging detonation? Are you saying that the many long time porsche mechanics, racers, engine builders and parts suppliers that support some quality chip programmers are all off base in their recommendations? I did several searches and a lot of searches that involve 911 chips or steve wong seem to involve you questioning or planting seeds of doubt with respect to there actual improvements or quality. With so little negative feed back on wongs products can it be true they do nothing positive and only negative? I have no affiliation with steve wong or any chip tuners but I have been around cars, race cars and high performance cars for a while now and think Steve's and others products do offer improvements over stock components. How should an owner of a DME car overcome the addition of cat bypass and sport mufflers in respect to engine management? I think when criticizing some one else's products it is important to give very specific reasons for doing so. You have hinted from the fence many times. You obviously are more educated (based on your bio) than most of us on this forum and I am only asking for very specific reasons you are against chip tuning and asking you to shed light on how to get the most from our cars once we have made modifications that were not US spec. Why do so many people seem to think their cars run better after installing a reputable chip?
Old 01-23-2007 | 12:05 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"I believe there is quite a difference between the 1985 carrera US dme And a 1985 euro dme."

Like what, besides no O2 sensor?

"Are you saying there is no improvement to be made to us dme cars with respect to their ignition and fuel maps?"

Right!
1. Engines with O2 sensors run at Lambda=1, so forcing a change in the fuel mixture has no
effect except at wide open throttle (who drives there most of the time) and the factory setting
is close to optimum AFR=12.6 at wide open throttle (torque is "flat" from about 11 to 13).
2. All engines provide a "feel" of a performance increase when the timing is advanced as was the
case for the old 911SC when the mechanic turned the distributor a few degrees more advanced.

"No not all detonation can be heard, but are you saying that all chipped cars are suffering from engine damaging detonation?"

Yes, if you knew that some chips advance the timing way beyond 40 degrees which should be
the max for a 3.2 which is basically the same as a 911SC and for an engine without knock sensors.
Remember, it's the engine load, temp, and octane which affect detonation and these variables
are not controlled, i.e. they have a key effect on detonation. Thus, a timing margin is necessary
which performance chips basically eliminate.

"Are you saying that the many long time porsche mechanics, racers, engine builders and parts suppliers that support some quality chip programmers are all off base in their recommendations? "

Most have a vested interest to promote performance products, e.g. chips, many of which have
basically no effect. If one closely evaluates all the "before/after" dyno runs on stock engines
very negligible effects result from a performance chip.

"How should an owner of a DME car overcome the addition of cat bypass and sport mufflers in respect to engine management?"

These simple mods have little effect on the operation of an engine management system, since
the system runs closed loop the majority of the time and the AFM by design corrects for additional
air flow. Again, the exception is at wide open throttle which is usually very close to optimum anyway.

"Why do so many people seem to think their cars run better after installing a reputable chip?"

Again, that's always the case when the timing is "pushed" beyond what the OEM considers
the proper setting. And what's reputable? There's only one reputable source and that's
the OEM who designed the engine. Most so-called tuners just "street tune", i.e. make changes
on a laptop and drive, versus a real true tune by using a dyno.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 01-23-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Steve Wong Chip (more praise)