Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Drove my first 911 this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drove my first 911 this weekend!

I'm starting to look for a nice 3.2 Carrera or SC and I drove a '84 cab this weekend. My first 911 (or first Porsche for that matter).

It was a bit like I expected, but a bit strange. The clutch and shifter action was a bit awkward (or maybe it was just me?), but the steerting was fantastic. The sound was great and the controls felt very solid. I particularly like the feel of the brakes - the pedal pressure was firm without being too stiff.

The car was a gray market import that has passed the California smog test. I've always thought that the gray markets cars were worth less than the US spec cars, but it seems like many folks modify the US spec cars to bring them back to European standards, such as the H4 headlights and the lower ride height.

BTW - the car was in very good condition with a new top, no leaks and very nice paint. The owner wanted $23K. Of course, if I get serious I'll do a PPI before any money changes hands.

Just wanted to report back on the experience, and I'm looking forward to more "research". I think the hunt is half the fun!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds a bit pricey for an SC but I dont really know the specs on that car. I am selling my 87 Carrera Cab 3.2 for 22500 and it even has a performance enchancing chip in the computer. Just revamped the whole computer and electrical system. If you dont like the feeling of the shifter of an SC I know what you mean. I was going to get an SC but got a G50 transmission Carrera instead. Shifts like a champ. Let me know if you are interested, shes a beauty I will send you some pictures.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Oh and I am from california and the car has always been a California car as well. You can check it out here....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/car/263290269.html

I was selling for 23500 but now I am selling for 22500 because I am moving to Stuttgart to work for Porsche AG. Let me know I would love to show her to you I am in the Los Angeles area.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheby40
I'm starting to look for a nice 3.2 Carrera or SC and I drove a '84 cab this weekend. My first 911 (or first Porsche for that matter).

It was a bit like I expected, but a bit strange. The clutch and shifter action was a bit awkward (or maybe it was just me?), but the steering was fantastic. The sound was great and the controls felt very solid. I particularly like the feel of the brakes - the pedal pressure was firm without being too stiff.

The car was a gray market import that has passed the California smog test. I've always thought that the gray markets cars were worth less than the US spec cars, but it seems like many folks modify the US spec cars to bring them back to European standards, such as the H4 headlights and the lower ride height.

BTW - the car was in very good condition with a new top, no leaks and very nice paint. The owner wanted $23K. Of course, if I get serious I'll do a PPI before any money changes hands.

Just wanted to report back on the experience, and I'm looking forward to more "research". I think the hunt is half the fun!
The clutch and shifter was awkward because that's the way the 915 transmissions feel. Try driving a G50 (like the 87-89) and you'll notice the difference right away.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to clarify some posts above... Model year 1984 was the first year for the 3.2 Carrera. 911SC's were produced from 1978 to 1983.

Years ago, Euro (or R.O.W.) cars were typically priced lower than US specification cars. Now, since these cars are getting up there in age, condition is really the key factor to the selling price. Most of these Euro cars have been in the states so long now that we don't hear of many Euro cars having troubles with emissions and such (most issues have been long resolved already). Some people even place a premium on the Euro spec cars since they typically have higher hp and torque ratings verses the same year US spec car.

$23k is a very high point for an '84 Carrera cabrio. For that money, it should have pretty low mileage (40,000 to 60,000), be in very good condition with minimal flaws (mechanical or cosmetic) and have a good service history. It's not out of line, but realize these cars (early 3.2 Carreras) aren't priced that high unless they are exceptional examples.

I think anyone getting into a 911 and driving it for the first time will find the shifting (on a 901, 915 or even a G-50 trans) a bit odd and strange. These transmissions are old school, notchy, balky and sometimes downright bitchy when they are not in good adjustment. With all the new modern manual transmissions shifting like a hot knife in warm butter, it's hard to imagine Porsche built transmissions like this... But, we like 'em like that.

Good luck in your search. It's a lot of fun!

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 01-16-2007, 01:07 PM
RogerB
Track Day

Random thought: "Modern" gearboxes have things like synchros and curved teeth to smooth out the shifting. Great for smooth shifting and noise reduction but not necessarily best for high performance driving. "Racing" gearboxes are (usually) built entirely differently, and can feel completely foreign to an experienced "syncro" driver.

Does the design of the 915 reflect Porsche's usual single-minded purpose?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by RogerB
Does the design of the 915 reflect Porsche's usual single-minded purpose?
The harder you drive a 915 equipped car, the easier it seems to operate. So, I would answer 'yes' to your statement! You definitely can race with a stock 915 tranny...
Old 01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay H
The harder you drive a 915 equipped car, the easier it seems to operate. So, I would answer 'yes' to your statement! You definitely can race with a stock 915 tranny...
A very durable transmission typically shifts rougher than a silky-smooth street transmission. My Muncie M-22 in the Chevy Nova was brutal, but it could take 600hp no problem. Or, just try and drive a 14-speed Semi-truck and you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
A very durable transmission typically shifts rougher than a silky-smooth street transmission. My Muncie M-22 in the Chevy Nova was brutal, but it could take 600hp no problem. Or, just try and drive a 14-speed Semi-truck and you'll see what I mean.
I drove a 14 speed once and cannot believe truckers have endured this type of tranny for as long as they have..........

Seems 1st gear in the 915 is the big headache...for me there no fast shifting 1-2 second.....is that the case for 915 and or g50's?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

I have owned an 89 C4 with the smoother G50 and hydraulic clutch and I still have my 86 Carrera with the 915. The G50 is definitely the "better" transmission, but there is somthing very rewarding about the 915...don't know how to quantify it, but despite its quirkiness I like it.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheby40
Drove my first 911 this weekend!
And it won't be your last!

Its tempting but DON'T buy the first one you see.

Take your time, do your research, drive as many as possible and when you've found one you like (really like) be sure to get a PPI

good luck in the search
Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Loaded
Seems 1st gear in the 915 is the big headache...for me there no fast shifting 1-2 second.....is that the case for 915 and or g50's?
The 1 - 2 shift in a 915 at normal street speeds typically can't be rushed. It just won't go and you can't force it.

However, be at full bore and the 1-2 shift will be much easier.

G-50 owners can comment on their take on their 1-2 shift.

Also, as markandkimmie stated, the 915 can be very rewarding when you learn it and if the transmission is in good adjustment. If you truly enjoy cars, the 915 is challenging in a good way and demands your involvement in driving the car. Nothing wrong with the G-50 either, but people do like these older 915's just as much.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1 - 2 shift in a 915 at normal street speeds typically can't be rushed. It just won't go and you can't force it.

However, be at full bore and the 1-2 shift will be much easier.

G-50 owners can comment on their take on their 1-2 shift.

Also, as markandkimmie stated, the 915 can be very rewarding when you learn it and if the transmission is in good adjustment. If you truly enjoy cars, the 915 is challenging in a good way and demands your involvement in driving the car. Nothing wrong with the G-50 either, but people do like these older 915's just as much.
When it get above freezing here I will try it! Quirky isnt it?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

...G-50 owners can comment on their take on their 1-2 shift...
Until the car is fully warmed up, trying the 1-2 shift quickly will result in a crunch on my car. Also, I cannot get 1st gear until I am completely stopped.

Of course, once the car is warmed up, the 1-2 shift is pretty fast. Same goes for all the gears.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The 915 isn't made for speed shifting between 1st-2nd, that's for certain. Even when under full throttle, there is an ever-so-subtle pause needed between 1st and 2nd. Since these cars typically aren't run too much in a dragrace situation, it doesn't matter.

I've never been on a track where I've needed to shift from 1st to 2nd other than pit-on. Look at it this way, it's a lot tougher to downshift to 1st in a 915 than it is to upshift to 2nd.

2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th are no problem, and take very well to fast gear changes.

Quick Reply: Drove my first 911 this weekend!