Drove my first 911 this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The 915 isn't made for speed shifting between 1st-2nd, that's for certain. Even when under full throttle, there is an ever-so-subtle pause needed between 1st and 2nd. Since these cars typically aren't run too much in a dragrace situation, it doesn't matter.

I've never been on a track where I've needed to shift from 1st to 2nd other than pit-on. Look at it this way, it's a lot tougher to downshift to 1st in a 915 than it is to upshift to 2nd.

2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th are no problem, and take very well to fast gear changes.
Yup 1st gear isnt used much at all......I have to agree with shifting it quickly when your underway at fast clips.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Roc Doc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although my car is a 1976, I have a 3.2 behind my 915 so it's roughly the same as what you drove. I drive my tranny with a light hand, and it's now got 215k miles on it! I have done a couple of Auto-X's with the car, and it just doesn't like to to be shifted quickly, but since I have so many miles behind the wheel of this car, I feel like I can shift it as fast as anyone, without grunching the syncro's.

Also gear lube makes a huge difference. Swepco is the traditional choice, but I have never run it so I can't comment on it. I tried Mobil 1 first, and it made the tranny very "notchy", (if that's a word?). Then I put in Redline snythetic, and it was like getting a tranny rebuild. 80k later, I 'm just now thinking about a fluid change.

Anyway, like others have said, drive a few cars before you buy, and welcome aboard!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
surfdwn
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in the camp of those who prefer the 915 tranny. I've had two 901's, a bunch of 915's and three G50's. While the G50 shift better, I prefer the feel of the 915. They are very easy to work on (which they will from time to time).

I'm currently running a 901, liking the older cars better. Good luck!

David Nolen
Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to throw this in what tranny does or did the VW beetle have?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Porscheby40
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I plan to drive a couple more in the near future. Since I'm after the "pure" Porsche experience, I'm leaning toward a 915 transmission, but after I drive a G50 car I may change my mind.

Does anyone have advice regarding a PPI - specifically I'm wondering if it is a good idea to have the PPI done at the shop the car is regularly serviced at ,or is it better to take it to another shop?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheby40
Does anyone have advice regarding a PPI - specifically I'm wondering if it is a good idea to have the PPI done at the shop the car is regularly serviced at ,or is it better to take it to another shop?
BY ALL MEANS, TAKE IT TO ANOTHER SHOP! The idea behind the PPI is to get an objective/neutral opinion on the cars condition. Not to denegrate any shop as there are a lot of good ones, it will be in the shop's (the one that has been servicing the car) best interest to give a car a clean bill of health.

Get a set of eyes on it that don't have any skin in the game.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Yes, take it to another shop. Also, you should create a list of things to check and give it to the mechanic. If you say that you just want the car checked over, he will surely miss something that is specific to that model or car. Read Peter Zimmerman's thread (sticky) and possible buy his book.

Quick Reply: Drove my first 911 this weekend!